Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is curracloe suitable for outdoor camping?

Options
  • 11-06-2011 2:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭

I was wondering if anyone knows of a good forested place for camping in Wexford?

I had the forest in Curracloe in mind, but after reading a few other threads mentioning it, I'm not so sure anymore.

First off, let me say I am painfully aware of the damage that's been caused to the forest and dunes as a result of people 'camping' (that is to say, lighting fires and getting pissed), and want to stress that this isn't what I have in mind. It would be two people, staying for one night (no fire of course).

Does anyone know what the exact legal stance is on camping in that forest? I can't imagine it's allowed, especially with the nature reserve and that. If it is illegal, is that enforced?
    My final question is whether I'd be likely to be disturbed by the scumbags who use the forest for drinking sessions.
    Tbh, that's my main concern. Being told not to camp there by a warden or garda, I can deal with. An encounter with group of drunken scummers in a remote area, I'd rather not.

Any suggestions for more suitable camping locations in the county are welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

I don't think camping is allowed at Curracloe.I wouldn't camp there anyway-it's become a bad area recently for thefts from cars and a tent would be easy pickings.
    You'd be better off asking a local farmer for permission to camp on their land and pick somewhere that the scumbags can't find you.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 sleepyboots

If your willing to travel up the coast a little. There is a lovely place just south of Arklow called Gleeson's Caravan Park. They have samll camp site and its so lovely there. Private access to Clooga Beech. All facilities taht you would need. Worth having a look.
    http://www.gleesonsholidaypark.com/

Advertisement