Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* Spanish * Predictions / discussion / aftermath (One thread please)

• 11-06-2011 3:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 46

Hey Everyone,

Just a bit of advice that I gave a few times in the last few years. For Spanish (even though not until another week) make sure to look at what opinion topic comes up in German and French papers, French in particular, because much of the time a similar opinion question come up in Spanish as it did for other languages.
    My ideas for the Opinion Question
    - ''La Economía'', make sure to know things on the Economy and the Global Market
    - ''El Tercer Mundo'' question like this hasn't popped up in a few years, could pop up again.
    - ''El Medio Ambiente'' again, another one that hasn't sparked in a while.

Also think of Social Behavior Questions
    - El Alcoholismo
    - Las Drugas
    - Los Estudiantes en las escuelas y los exámenes

These are only some ideas but if you prepare something on all of these, you are bound to be able to tie these in to a question that could be similar in topic.
    I have recently graduated from Spanish and Geography in UCD so if anyone once advice from me about those subjects or other fields in UCD I can help a bit lol!

Buena Suerte en los exámenes :)

Mr. BA!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 megumiwinS

So your advice is go through topics like the ones below?
    - La Economía
    - El Tercer Mundo
    - El Medio Ambiente
    - El Alcoholismo
    - Las Drugas
    - Los Estudiantes en las escuelas y los exámenes

Thanks so much!

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭polka dot

Okay we have never covered the economy or the Third World in Spanish. Should I be worried? :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 megumiwinS

polka dot wrote: »
    Okay we have never covered the economy or the Third World in Spanish. Should I be worried? :eek:

Nope because there will 2 choices anyway :rolleyes:

megumiwinS wrote: »
    Nope because there will 2 choices anyway :rolleyes:

I'll just hope that the first one isn't the economy and the second one the Third World :P Hehe.

Thanks for this thread. At least I have an idea what to study now.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Lexii307

What about the recession? Is that not an obvious one? :confused:

• Advertisement

Lexii307 wrote: »
    What about the recession? Is that not an obvious one? :confused:

Pretty sure that would be the same essay as "La Economía!"

polka dot wrote: »
    Pretty sure that would be the same essay as "La Economía!"

Well i meant really more the effect on people as a result like social problems...

Lexii307 wrote: »
    Well i meant really more the effect on people as a result like social problems...

Ah yes, this is the type of essay I have. Social problems and the recession. We can hope!

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Mr.BA

There are many topics that can come up. Social Problems seem to be the most common topic thing to come up.
    However, certain topic might come up but explained in a different way.
    For example
    2010 : ''El silencio no existe en el mundo moderno.'' = There is no silence in the modern world
    So what could you write? Violence, murder, overpopulated cities, riots (outside government buildings because of the economy) and much more.
    No matter what topic comes up, you are able to turn it around and parts from other topics that might relate to the topic asked on the day, just like what I did for Riots and related it to the Economy.

2009: ''Falta el sentido cívico en la sociedad moderna.'' = Lack of civil sense in modern society.
    Again you could write about the economy or crime. Also in 2009 a question about Alcohol came up.

In 2008, beautiful topics came up.
    Climate Change
    How money doesn't resolve all problems. (This was a blessing for the exam).
    For this one you could talk about the third world and the global economy.

Guys to be honest, these are only my opinions and NOT whats coming up in the exam. BUT do look at the French and German papers and see what kind of topic comes up and Spanish should be something similar :)

Anymore questions give me a buzz :)

Buena Suerte

Mr.BA wrote: »
    There are many topics that can come up. Social Problems seem to be the most common topic thing to come up.
    However, certain topic might come up but explained in a different way.
    For example
    2010 : ''El silencio no existe en el mundo moderno.'' = There is no silence in the modern world

In 2008, beautiful topics came up.
    Climate Change
    How money doesn't resolve all problems. (This was a blessing for the exam).
    For this one you could talk about the third world and the global economy.

Guys to be honest, these are only my opinions and NOT whats coming up in the exam. BUT do look at the French and German papers and see what kind of topic comes up and Spanish should be something similar :)

Anymore questions give me a buzz :)

Buena Suerte

We were given essays on silence in the modern world and climate change, but it is true that it is unpredictable :( Hopefully we all do brilliant :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 Muggwoffin

Just checked out the French paper there, the opinion pieces were

The importance of being independent (Presumably for the youth, I don't speak French, I'm just going on lexical similarity)

In Ireland criminal deviancy is a serious problem. People don't feel secure, something about champagne ("ni à la campagne"*). The number of rapes, violence and something called "cambriolages" are increasing. What do you think?

I would be happy to do both in Spanish, the amount of cambriolages in Ireland has gotten ridiculous.

Checked out the German paper and couldn't make sense of it.
    *This is a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Phareon

In Ireland criminal deviancy is a serious problem. People don't feel secure, something about champagne ("ni à la campagne"*). The number of rapes, violence and something called "cambriolages" are increasing. What do you think?

From a student who does /did/ French

Devient is 'has become', not deviancy.
    'Vols' are thefts, not rapes, but maybe rape could have been brought into it.
    'Cambriolages' are robberies.
    'La campagne' is the countryside. It meant people don't feel safe in the city or the country.

And, yeah the first was about youths dreaming of being independent.
    Hope it helps for your Spanish!

And if it makes you feel any better, I couldn't make out the German either :O

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Muggwoffin

Phareon wrote: »
    From a student who does /did/ French

Devient is 'has become', not deviancy.
    'Vols' are thefts, not rapes, but maybe rape could have been brought into it.
    'Cambriolages' are robberies.
    'La campagne' is the countryside. It meant people don't feel safe in the city or the country.

And, yeah the first was about youths dreaming of being independent.
    Hope it helps for your Spanish!

And if it makes you feel any better, I couldn't make out the German either :O

Ahh, I see, I was getting "Vols" as rapes from the Spanish "Violacíones".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81 ✭✭luciemc

I do French and Spanish so here you go:-

(there are six opinion questions on the French paper)

1. All teenagers dream of being independent and making their own decisions. Do you too think it is important to be independent?

2. Crime is becoming a serious problem in Ireland today. Many people no longer feel safe in towns or in the countryside. It seems that the number of robberies, burglaries, aggressions and murders is rising. What do you think of this problem? Are there any solutions?

3. "Drinking too much is a nightmare". This is the slogan of a prevention campaign aimed at teenagers launched by the Council of Paris to aid the fight against 'binge-drinking', a manner of consuming alcohol popular among young people. It is usually the consumption, in one sitting, of 5 or more glasses for men and 4 or more glasses for women.
    Give your reactions.

4. Refereeing in sport.
    "One must always accept the decisions of a referee, even if they make an error. He deserves the respect of players and of supporters, because he has a difficult role" says Guillaume, who is 20 years old.
    "Mistakes in refereeing are too numerous. Me, I lost an important match last week because of the referee! In my opinion, it is time to introduce video refereeing" says Nadine, who is 19 years old.
    Give your reactions.

5. According to a recent study, only 21% of young French people think that religion plays an important role in their lives. Do you think that in Ireland, like in France, religion has become less important in the lives of young people?

6. What do you think of social networks, for example Facebook or Twitter?

Some of it sounds sort of awkward in English, I tried to translate it all as directly as possible <_<

anyone here do German?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Camilo

So Spanish is on Tuesday and i havent a Philius Fogg as to what i should be reading over or studying apart from a bit of vocab :\

Any suggestions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

I do French but if I were you I would study something like this for essay writing. Something similar helped me for French and it's more helpful than learning off reams of vocab.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 shelly818

I was just looking over my notes for the economy and I dont think i've got enough anyone have any ideas what to say or any stand out sentences I could use???

Hey guys

Sorry for not being on this in a few days. I heard about some of the French questions and I think studying anything got to do with adolescence would be a great thing to be prepared for since it looks likely something of that sort will come up.

But I haven't heard anything from the German paper. If similar topics came up for that, that was also in French there is a good chance it would come up in Spanish also.

Let me know please :)

Buena Suerte,
    Mr.BA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭irishgirl10

How much should you write for the diary entry/note and essay?..

And how are people studying for spanish!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 181 ✭✭ChristinaIndigo

Really don't have a good feeling about this exam....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 howlermonkey

We've never really done anything got to do with being independent but that would be a really interesting opinion to ask to do

How much should you write for the diary entry/note and essay?..

And how are people studying for spanish!?

With every student I taught I always get asked this question.
    The Diary entry/ note is simply saying exactly what it says on the tin!

Just write a note/ diary of 6 to 8 sentences.
    What examiners like to see is very neat work, so I would advise to skip a line when writing the diary or note. But if you feel as though your writing is big and will need to use all the lines, fire away. Just make sure whatever they ask you to write in the Diary or Note is what you write. Add a little to it if you want as well to gain extra marks, but do not waffle!

All the best in the exam tomorrow guys.

Buena Suerte.

Mr.BA

También, don't forget to post up hear how you did in the exam and how you felt it went. I'd be happy to answer any questions that arose in the paper.
    Please be patient though as I won't be home until after 6pm.

Adios!

Camilo wrote: »
    So Spanish is on Tuesday and i havent a Philius Fogg as to what i should be reading over or studying apart from a bit of vocab :\

Any suggestions?

Look over past opinion questions, sample diary entries or notes that you did for homework during the year.
    Also don't forget about the listening exam. Go back over some old aurals and see if you can grasp what they ask you.
    Studying vocab is important, but try to have sample answers prepared especially for the opinion question.

Buena suerte para mañana!!

Mr.BA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Camilo

Anyone else find it interesting how little attention Spanish is getting on boards? Every other subject seems to get alot more attention on here :\

But aye, quite worried about this. Hate the bloody opinion question, i just freeze up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭irishgirl10

Thanks! Im so nervous for this exam :/

Thanks! Im so nervous for this exam :/

Don't worry. You'll be grand. All the work is done.
    Just take your time and don't panic. Answer everything you can first.

Also to calm yourself look at the Diary and the opinion questions first. And then go through the rest of the paper because you'll be able to pick up some vocab from other parts of the paper!!

All the best for tomorrow and let us know how it goes :)

Mr.BA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭AG2R

Dropping down in this tomorrow. Haven't a hope in HL.

So glad I dropped down now. delighted with how that went. 50 minutes til the Aural.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 wazzarooney

Nice enough paper

• Advertisement

****ing Aural raped me though

Advertisement