Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"only bad people dont believe in God..."

Options
  • 11-06-2011 8:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 18,367 ✭✭✭✭

funny story, junior (aged 6) had one of his old firends over that he hadnt see in a while, the other kid goes to a catholic school whereas junior is in a non denominational one. Anyway an argument breaks out (god knows how they ot on to the topic) where the other child said that only bad people dont believe in God. Junior was annoyed by this :D .
    I cant imagine he got this from his parents, so it must be the school. The school in question which I wont name but is a well known school on the Merrion Road , has essentially a non religious order board by now so one would think their approach to indoctrination would have mellowed a bit, clearly not. It does make you dispair at times though about the crap they taught

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Truley

In fairness young children say silly things and make generalizations like that all the time, you don't know if he picked it up from school. When I was a kid, with a much narrower world view and vocabulary, I tended to class anyone or anything different as 'bad,' be it different gender, football club, religion, skin colour :o I went to a multi-denominational school too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

This is why I've always believed that religion should not be taught at all. Religion is something each person should find for themselves, without any external interference.

If someone, as they get older, decide that something is missing in their lives, and that religion fills that gap, then they can go learn about the various religions and choose which is best for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

I think it sounds like something you'd hear a grandparent or someone of that age come out with rather than in school.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,367 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

deisemum wrote: »
    I think it sounds like something you'd hear a grandparent or someone of that age come out with rather than in school.

thats possible , didnt think of that.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 12 kalihar

Last week I had a little extra money and decided to take advantage of a hotel deal with the kids. When we got into the room my eldest (5) turned around to me with her hands clapsed together and said "thank you god for the hotel room" :D

She definitely didn't get that from me so I'm presuming school. I have to say that I was slightly miffed that god was getting the credit for my good deed!

As for the original comment, possibly school or home or something the child just made up him/herself

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

Probably mass if the kid goes.

Non believers are heathens, will burn in hell etc would be a common theme in readings and gospels.

Advertisement