Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N25 Toll Plaza

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Howsitgoin?

If everyone shows up to the toll plaza and refuses to pay it won't take long before the traffic jam caused will force them to open the barrier.

It's disgraceful to close a free bridge and not provide another free alternative.

This will just cause mayhem for people who genuinely want to get somewhere with minimum hassle.
    We must remember that the toll road was always meant to be a by-pass and as such is doing exactly what it says on the tin! City council have a lot to answer for as they made an empty promise to people which they can not act on now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭thund3rbird_

marlin vs wrote: »
    People seem to forget that Fidown Bridge WAS a Toll bridge not too long ago i used to use it, and it was called the Hapenny Bridge.

I remember that too - think it was back in the 70's.
    That was back when the wooden bridge was there.
    I don't think it's been tolled since the new concrete bridge replaced it?

Kinda glad now I took hols for the Thurs & Fri of the TS even tho I'd be coming from the Cork side & only going to the industrial estate so crossing the Suir wouldn't even come into play.

While this thread is about the toll not being suspended what are peoples opinions on the charging for the park-and-ride car parks?
    Last time the TS were here it was free to park - this time it's €10 if it's after 10am.

Could it be anything to do with us now being in a recession?

Between the tolls & the P&R charge I wonder if they are trying to discourage people from attending the event?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Right the only way I can avoid paying for the toll is paying for the Kenneallys bus. Anyone know what kinda timetable they will be doing. It will only be for work. I can walk home from the ships.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Right the only way I can avoid paying for the toll is paying for the Kenneallys bus. Anyone know what kinda timetable they will be doing. It will only be for work. I can walk home from the ships.

Why not cycle?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

dayshah wrote: »
    Why not cycle?

A few reasons;

Not everybody has a bike.
    Not everyone who has a bike is within cycling distance.
    Not everyone has secure locations at work for their bike.
    Not everyone has changing facilities/ showers etc at work.

Why not change the decision to close the bridge, as
    1. It's unreasonable to force people to pay to access the city by car or
    2. The alternate free route via Fiddown is too far for a lot of people.

Also, I drive a small car/van, which is €3.20 each way on the toll bridge which is simply not on.
    Finally, the park and ride is not suitable for lots of people as an alternative due to timetable, location etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

Any word from the City Council as to why they stitched us up over the non-existant free tolls?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

latest word i got is the bridge will be closed from 23.59pm wed june 29th to 2am sunday 3rd july inclusive....

wtf is it closed in the night time for its complete boll#@ks:mad: wheres the throngs of sheeple going to come from to be herded back and forth over the bridge @a tenner a car...lets face it unless they use magic there wont be anymore than a few tens of thousands shipseers , people around have more on their plate than worring about missing a few boats and paying into a city for the privilage...

ie. if it was on say in wexford town who would take the trip down, park out in a field pay a tenner hop on a bus and then que again to get back out of there...good luck

gman2k wrote: »
    A few reasons;

Not everybody has a bike.
    Not everyone has secure locations at work for their bike.
    Not everyone has changing facilities/ showers etc at work.

Why not change the decision to close the bridge, as
    1. It's unreasonable to force people to pay to access the city by car or
    2. The alternate free route via Fiddown is too far for a lot of people.

Also, I drive a small car/van, which is €3.20 each way on the toll bridge which is simply not on.
    Finally, the park and ride is not suitable for lots of people as an alternative due to timetable, location etc.

I didn't ask if everyone has a bike. If its within walking distance home for wmpdd3, then its going to be within cycling distance (without the need for changing facilities or a shower).

It should be a nice cycle too as there will be far less cars.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Curious, what is "within cycling distance?"?
    How far is that now? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

Cabaal wrote: »

Depends on your ability!
    I met a guy who was working in town the other day, and he was from Carlow!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Depends on your ability!
    I met a guy who was working in town the other day, and he was from Carlow!

I've managed from Kilkenny to Waterford on occasion to work, wouldn't like to do it on a day like today mind you though :pac:

Anywhere within the city limits of Waterford and also over in Ferrybank is perfectly do-able on a bike, do no harm for some people to get out and do some exercise

Cabaal wrote: »

I think we need 'cycling distance' and 'sweaty cycling distance'. Less than 10km on a cool morning, taking it handy I wouldn't break a sweat and could go to work wearing jeans and a shirt.

More than 10km, and I'd probably want to have a shower or something in order to be presentable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

Was Rice Bridge closed the last the Tall Ships were on? I cant remember and if it was how did people manage that time without the Bypass Bridge.

I dont see what people's problem is paying a toll, it sure beats the hell out of been stuck in traffic in a town, people wanted a second river crossing for years and it's here now and people are still complaining over a toll that's less than €2.00 :rolleyes:
    All i can say is Rice Bridge is only closed for a few days so just put up with it until it opens again.

yes how did we manage with rice bridge open for the last tallships,???

hold on:confused: 1995 there wasnt an organised park n ride so to make sure its used this time [EMAIL="c@ 10"]@ 10[/EMAIL]€ a go
    close the bridge make some dumb excuse about herds a sheeple needing the 4 lanes to wander over n back and essentially turning rice bridge into a toll bridge aswell for 3 days....

Hoffmans wrote: »
    yes how did we manage with rice bridge open for the last tallships,???

hold on:confused:1995 there wasnt an organised park n ride so to make sure its used this time @ 10€ a go
    close the bridge make some dumb excuse about herds a sheeple needing the 4 lanes to wander over n back and essentially turning rice bridge into a toll bridge aswell for 3 days....

Add ten years to that!! :pac:

with the massive advertising budget suppose its no wonder they are indirectly tolling rice bridge....:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

...close the bridge make some dumb excuse about herds a sheeple needing the 4 lanes to wander over n back

You've made this point time and time again about how you think you should be able to drive over Rice Bridge and let the "sheeple" walk on the footpath to see the few boats (as you so patronisingly say - what was the expression you used? "Sailtubs"?).

It's time you stopped replaying this bogus argument. Numerous people have come back to you stating that they were there in 2005 and it developed at times into a serious crowd-control situation.

I was there myself, and saw how scary it got. On that basis, closing Rice Bridge to general traffic and letting people walk the full width of it is the only option.

IS That an official WCC response?:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10 brickvan

but dont waterford city council have to offer an alternative to a toll bridge, thought this was the law ?????

the law they make them up as they go along this and that bye law ,they are only applicable by mutual consent though...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

the law they make them up as they go along this and that bye law ,they are only applicable by mutual consent though...

You have a strange understanding of the concept of "law".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,898 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

brickvan wrote: »
    but dont waterford city council have to offer an alternative to a toll bridge, thought this was the law ?????
    there is an alternative.

Drive to the next nearest bridge up stream OR pay the 1.90 to use this €600 million euro (excluding land costs) piece of infrastructure
    http://www.nra.ie/PublicPrivatePartnership/ProjectTracker/N25WaterfordBy-Pass/

BTW.
    Waterford-Dublin is the only major inter-urban that ISNT tolled so if youve travelled up and down to Dublin recently you've already saved yourself multiples of €1.90 seeing as Waterford got unique special treatment and a free intercity motorway.

BTW.
    Waterford-Dublin is the only major inter-urban that ISNT tolled so if youve travelled up and down to Dublin recently you've already saved yourself multiples of €1.90 seeing as Waterford got unique special treatment and a free intercity motorway.

The reason it isn't tolled is because there wouldn't be enough traffic to justify the staff in the toll booth. We never really needed a motorway anyway, a dual carriage way would have been enough.

Anyway, we have it now. Thanks Martin :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭bohsfan

I remember thinking that the pedestrian access on the bridge the last time the Tall Ships came was a disaster waiting to happen. Thankfully, noone was pushed out in front of traffic but if was allowed to happen again it could easily become a disaster.

Allowing people to use one side of the bridge and traffic to share the other side sounds like a good solution. However, you still have a roundabout on one end, which would bring traffic into where the pedestrians should be. It would be an awkward option.

Seeing as there is an alternative bridge nearby now then closing Rice Bridge is the sensible choice. Sure, it means people will have to pay the toll. But if €1.80 is a bit rich for them then they can always spin out to Fiddown and cross there.

Not perfect, but better than compromising safety on the bridge.

BTW.

I get the feeling it's only a matter of time before a toll goes on the motorway on the Carlow bypass section

The toll on the Waterford City bypass was put on the wrong side of the river I think, should have put on the M9, say around Mullinavat or Ballyhale, it would do well then I'd say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

As has been explained many times, the new bridge and the motorway are two completely separate projects and roads.

The bridge is part of the N25, the Motorway is the M9. The two aren't even directly connected.

(Which is stupid, the M9 should have terminated at a junction with the N25, not 500yds away, but thats another argument).

A.

bohsfan wrote: »
    Seeing as there is an alternative bridge nearby now then closing Rice Bridge is the sensible choice. Sure, it means people will have to pay the toll. But if €1.80 is a bit rich for them then they can always spin out to Fiddown and cross there.

Not perfect, but better than compromising safety on the bridge.

fine gael/imf love persons with this view on things....

do you think mr kennys chauffer will drive through the toll thursday or come straight in the " emergency route "

fine gael/imf love persons with this view on things....

Eh- what?
    do you think mr kennys chauffer will drive through the toll thursday or come straight in the " emergency route "

I'm not sure what that has to do with what I said. They can bring him in in a submarine for all I care. I stand by my view that the right decision was taken.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

I was on the route recently. What's the railway that runs alongside the road near the toll booths? Seemed to be narrow gauge but I could be wrong.

Advertisement