Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom abandon broadbandatoz.ie and dsl rollout

• 11-06-2011 9:32am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭

Eircom have just abandoned their broadbandatoz.ie site...you know the one that showed yellow dots for the exchanges they promised to enable.

They have also abandoned their DSL rollout with ( I think) 30 or 40 of the 319 exchanges they promised to do in March 2007 left undone. In Galway I think the abandoned exchanges are Lettermore and somewhere in east Galway but Maree which was not on that list will seemingly be done...some eircom execs live down there no doubt :)

And to think of the poor eejits who dutifully paid over €1300 in line rental since that announcement as they waited for their broadband. :(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭Big Lar

The privatisation of Eircom was one of the major failures over the years :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Are you certain that they've also abandoned the rollout to some of the remaining exchanges? I had seen in the IrelandOffline thread that the site was taken down alright.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Up to 40 exchanges unfinished after 4 years and with no timescale, that means abandoned at this stage.

They did 4 since last september...probably the only ones with very little work remaining.

Meanwhile all the resources are gone into upgrading existing exchanges to handle DSL2 retail products under the NGN brand and to supply Ethernet services.

Since they abandoned the DSL rollout program with 40 odd exchanges yet to do they upgraded the following 90 exchanges to NGN since last september.

Crossagalla CGA
    Knocktopher KTR
    Muine Beag MBG
    Ardfinnan AFN
    Dundrum (Tipperary ) DDT
    New Ross NRS
    Garristown GAR
    Summerhill (MH) SML
    Bandon BND
    Lemybrien LMB
    Moycullen MYN
    Lifford LIF
    Caherdavin CHD
    Ballymoneen BNN
    Rochfortbridge RBE
    Clogherhead CHH
    Curragh Camp CUR
    Termonfeckin TFN
    Lanesboro LBO
    Kildangan KDN
    Rhode RDE
    Ballinrobe BRE
    Ballycoolin BNZ
    Glanmire GMR
    Bliary BLI
    Carrigtwohill CHT
    Macroom MRM
    Carrigaline CGI
    Dooradoyle LKD
    Tuam TUM
    Virginia VGA
    Ferrybank FBK
    Athlunkard ATD
    Rush RUS
    Ballinasloe BSE
    Kinsale KSL
    Donabate DBT
    Ratoath RTH
    Borrisokane BOK
    Westport WST
    Lawrencetown LWN
    Carbury CRY
    Five Alley FVA
    Inch St.Lawrence ISL
    Castlerea CRE
    Mahon MAH
    Cahir CHR
    Donegal DGL
    Douglas DGS
    Carrickmacross CCS
    Cavan CAV
    Blarney BAI
    Killaloe KLO
    Monaghan MGN
    Kilcullen KLC
    Carrick-on-Shannon CKN
    Wicklow WLW
    Roscommon RCM
    Rathedmond RTD
    Ballybofey BOF
    Longford LOD
    Sligo HPO SGO
    Tara TAA
    Kells CSR
    Tycor TYC
    Wexford WXD
    Trim TRM
    Edenderry EDY
    Gorey GRY
    Hettyfield HYD
    Shannon Town SHN
    Ballina BLA
    Galway HPO GAL
    Dennehy's Cross DYX
    Wexford Anne St. WXA
    Thurles THS
    Blessington BSN
    Kildare KLE
    Bridgend BGE
    Midleton MDN
    Newbridge DNU
    CorkCentral CKC
    Portarlington PAN
    Oranmore OME
    Tramore TRR
    Dundalk DDK
    Lucan LND
    Ballincollig BNC
    Kilcarn KIC
    Kilcock KOK

Here is an example of how they ****ed people around. The Duagh exchange in Kerry is one of the abandoned ones as is Leitrim Village ( that is in Leitrim not Galway ) . A local posted on Damien Mulleys site in Feb 2009
    Pete says:
    February 27, 2009 at 3:22 pm

Having contacted Eircom many times about the upgrade for Duagh, the engineers saying the end of Jan/Feb and the list saying the end of Nov/Dec 08, I bit the bullet again and emailed them.

After waiting a whole week, I got an apologetic email saying their systems where having problems (not just the phone lines then!) telling me that we have been moved back to July this year.

I just wish they, as a company, would just stick to timescales they provide, and not move the goalposts. We are now moving house to an area with broadband, as I now need to concentrate my online business as a main income as work is slowly drying up.

It is a shame as Duagh is a smashing village, and more people would stay if facilities where available to them.

Poor lad was back some time later
    Pete says:
    July 20, 2009 at 12:15 am

After months of waiting, I emailed eircom again over their constant moving of time scales and got yet another reply. Here it is, from their ‘press’ team:-

Apologies for the delay in our response. Having consulted with our network engineers, I can confirm that the current provisional schedule for the enablement of the Duagh exchange is for the period July – September this year. I must stress that this broadband roll out schedule is a provisional schedule and is therefore subject to change. Enabling an exchange involves multiple processes including network upgrades, installation of DSL equipment, possible systems upgrades and a testing phase. All of these phases must be co-ordinated and completed before an exchange is ready to be enabled. Considering this, the provisional schedule is reviewed continuously. While I cannot provide an exact date at this time, I will continue to monitor the progress of the Hackballs cross exchange and provide you withan update over the coming months. Please check http://www.broadbandAtoZ.ie for regular updates on broadband rollout across the country.
    Kind regards,
    The BroadbandAtoZ Team

So still nothing new but at least I got a reply off them this time.

Finally

Pete says:
    September 1, 2009 at 1:06 pm

Well after almost giving up waiting, I finally have a decent broadband service here in Duagh.

Despite yet another disappointing email from Eircom which they told me they are pushing Duagh back yet again to Oct/Dec 09 (and quite frankly I would assume that would get pushed back again because I believe they havn’t the money to do the work), and Vodafone not getting back to me over their antenna up the road, I got online yesterday with 3.

As part of the NBB scheme, 3 have enabled Duagh with the wireless modem, and I get quite a decent speed. (speedtest.net gave me a 3.1 MB/s score) so I am really happy.

Over to Leitrim Village
    John says:
    September 1, 2009 at 10:40 am

Still waiting for broadband in Leitrim Village, time scales been changed and moved every time for 3 years.
    Eircom are a poor joke, I fully believe the engineers take as long as possible to complete these upgrades to ensure they have work on for the forseeable future.
    I have spoken to several eircom employee’s and they acknowlged how slow the progress has been.
    I have no faith in this exchange being enabled at any time in the next 12 months after the countless delays, it’s like living in a third work country the way things move here.
    Nearly 2010 and no reasonable cost or service of broadband avail in a medium size town on outskirts of Carrick on Shannon

Sadly, he was reduced to talking to FF councillors in April 2011.
    John says:
    April 6, 2011 at 11:08 am

Latest update, but have heard this so many times in correspondence with Eircom so would expect to be adding another 5 years on top of this time frame.

Eircom confirms Leitirm village to be broadband enabled later this month « Go Back
    Apr 05 2011

Eircom says it will be another few weeks before broadband is enabled in Leitrim Village.

It follows concerns by local Fianna Fail Councillor Francie Gilmartin that a number of businesses were planning to pull out of the town if the service was not put in place as a matter of urgency.

Connacht

Roscommon:

Ballyforan
    Monksland

Leitrim:

Carrigallen
    Cloone Leitrim Village

Sligo

Coolaney

Galway

Lettermore
    Kilrickle

Mayo

Mayo is complete.

Abandoned Connacht = 8

ULSTER

Donegal

Rossknowlagh
    St. Johnston

Monaghan

Annyalla
    Rockcorry

Cavan

Cavan is complete
    Abandoned Ulster = 8

MUNSTER

Cork

Ballycotton
    Ballydesmond
    Knocknagree
    Knockraha

Kerry

Duagh
    Scartaglin

Waterford

Ballymacarbry

Tipperary

Cloughjordan
    Ballyporeen

Limerick

Bruree

Abandoned Munster = 10

Leinster

Westmeath

Milltownpass

Longford

Longford is complete

Louth

Louth is complete

Meath

Hill of Down

Offaly

Offaly is complete

Laois

Laois is complete

Kilkenny

Oldtown
    Coon

Dublin

Naul :D

Kildare

Calverstown

Wicklow

Wicklow is complete

Wexford

Wexford is complete

Abandoned Leinster = 5

Abandoned Nationwide = 31 ( 10%)

Spare a little thought for the lucky residents of Ballylongford in Kerry :)

http://www.kerryman.ie/news/village-finally-gets-up-to-speed-2657103.html
    25 May 2011 "We're delighted with this week's announcement," local County Councillor Liam Purtill said. "We have campaigned hard for this for many years and I clearly remember receiving a written report at a meeting in Listowel in which it was stated that Ballylongford would have full broadband by June 29, 2009.. but that came to nothing unfortunately.

And of course for eircoms lies, still in the google cache from 2008
    Can you give me a schedule for the roll out of broadband to my constituency/county?

eircom has committed to a very aggressive roll out programme. To date more than 570 exchanges are broadband enabled across the country. In 2007, 110 new exchanges were broadband enabled and by the end of next year ( = 2009) more than 900 exchanges, representing 96% of the working telephone lines in Ireland will be connected to a broadband exchange.
    If you have a query in relation to a specific constituency or exchange you should submit details to the Contact Us section of this website.

SB, I don't think the Readypenny exchange in Louth was enabled but I'm happy to be proven wrong on that.

I am certain however that the Oldtown exchange has not been enabled and there are no plans to do so, much to the consternation of people I know. I'm confused as to what lines in the village are served by Ballyboughal and which are connected to this exchange, some lines show up as amber due to distance from the exchange but quite a large number fail outright.

The naul exchange is only an RSU but eircom may have started moving lines in the village itself to this RSU. I had thought eircom had DSL-enabled it anyhow about 4 years ago. The general area is covered by Balbriggan which is quite a distance for a village which isn't particularly small.

• Advertisement

SB, I don't think the Readypenny exchange in Louth was enabled but I'm happy to be proven wrong on that.
    It isn't but eircom said they wouldn't do it.

The 31 exchanges listed above were promised in March 2007 and were supposed to be done by end 2009 or so.

By end 2009 70 of the 319 exchanges had not been done.
    In June 2011 31 of the 319 exchanges are still not done.

A rump of c.250 exchanges , inlcuding Readypenny and Oldtown were never promised. Eircom maintained they were too small and/or too isolated.

Nationally we have 1200 exchanges. 920 upgraded, 30 abandoned, 250 ignored.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,575 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Man it pisses me off to see dundrum has ngb and that isnt much bigger than golden ugh

They probably be doing the country a favour if they just went bankrupted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Eircom have just abandoned their broadbandatoz.ie site...you know the one that showed yellow dots for the exchanges they promised to enable.

And to think of the poor eejits who dutifully paid over €1300 in line rental since that announcement as they waited for their broadband. :(

You're being a bit tough on Eircom,
    unlike UPC who are wasting their money on upgrading their network for customers in order to provide them with a cheap but superior product,
    Eircom are spending millions on behalf of their customers on advertising the Eircom brand such as at the GAA game between Leitrim V Roscommon today. There were no fewer than 6 Eircom advertising boards at this ONE game alone. I'm sure this scene will will be reflected across all the GAA games over the weekend. What more can Eircom be expected to do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

You're being a bit tough on Eircom,
    unlike UPC who are wasting their money on upgrading their network for customers in order to provide them with a cheap but superior product,
    Eircom are spending millions on behalf of their customers on advertising the Eircom brand such as at the GAA game between Leitrim V Roscommon today. There were no fewer than 6 Eircom advertising boards at this ONE game alone. I'm sure this scene will will be reflected across all the GAA games over the weekend. What more can Eircom be expected to do?

Epic! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 62 ✭✭eronayne

Hi,

Dont know where you are getting your data from but it is wrong.

10 days before your post, Hill Of Down and Ballycotton were launched on June 1st. These were the 929th and 930th locations to be DSL enabled.

Another post your said there have only been four exchanges launched since SEPT 2010, I'm counting eight since March 2011

Regards

Connacht

Roscommon:

Ballyforan
    Monksland

Leitrim:

Carrigallen
    Cloone Leitrim Village

Sligo

Coolaney

Galway

Lettermore
    Kilrickle

Mayo

Mayo is complete.

Abandoned Connacht = 8

ULSTER

Donegal

Rossknowlagh
    St. Johnston

Monaghan

Annyalla
    Rockcorry

Cavan

Cavan is complete
    Abandoned Ulster = 8

MUNSTER

Cork

Ballycotton
    Ballydesmond
    Knocknagree
    Knockraha

Kerry

Duagh
    Scartaglin

Waterford

Ballymacarbry

Tipperary

Cloughjordan
    Ballyporeen

Limerick

Bruree

Abandoned Munster = 10

Leinster

Westmeath

Milltownpass

Longford

Longford is complete

Louth

Louth is complete

Meath

Hill of Down

Offaly

Offaly is complete

Laois

Laois is complete

Kilkenny

Oldtown
    Coon

Dublin

Naul :D

Kildare

Calverstown

Wicklow

Wicklow is complete

Wexford

Wexford is complete

Abandoned Leinster = 5

Abandoned Nationwide = 31 ( 10%)

Spare a little thought for the lucky residents of Ballylongford in Kerry :)

http://www.kerryman.ie/news/village-finally-gets-up-to-speed-2657103.html

And of course for eircoms lies, still in the google cache from 2008

[/B]

• Advertisement

Some of the last exchanges enabled were not on Broadband A To Z so I must restate the list. This was highlighted to me with thanks.

Frankly any exchange not programmed for 2011 must be deemed abandoned. Furthermore certain exchanges that existed in 2007 and were not programmed for an upgrade have been upgraded or are programmed for upgrade.

Incomplete Eircom Exchanges June 2011

* Still Programmed
    ^ Unprogrammed/Abandoned

Connacht

Roscommon:

Ballyforan^
    Monksland^

Leitrim:

Carrigallen^
    Cloone^
    Leitrim Village *

Sligo

Coolaney^

Galway

Lettermore *
    Kilrickle^

Mayo

Mayo is complete.

Abandoned Connacht = 6
    Programmed Connacht =2

ULSTER

Donegal

Rossknowlagh*
    St. Johnston^

Monaghan

Annyalla^
    Rockcorry*

Cavan

Cavan is complete

Abandoned Ulster = 2

Programmed Connacht =2

MUNSTER

Cork

Ballydesmond^
    Knocknagree^
    Knockraha^

Kerry

Duagh^
    Scartaglin*

Waterford

Ballymacarbry^

Tipperary

Cloughjordan^
    Ballyporeen^

Limerick

Bruree^

Abandoned Munster = 8
    Programmed Munster = 1

Leinster

Westmeath

Milltownpass*

Longford

Longford is complete

Louth

Louth is complete

Meath

Meath is complete

Offaly

Offaly is complete

Laois

Laois is complete

Kilkenny

Oldtown^
    Coon^

Dublin

Naul biggrin.gif*

Kildare

Calverstown^

Wicklow

Wicklow is complete

Wexford

Wexford is complete

Abandoned Leinster = 3
    Programmed leinster =2

Abandoned Nationwide = 19
    Still Programmed = 7

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 346 ✭✭trekkypj

Well, I've been waiting patiently for Coon exchange to be upgraded in Kilkenny for a looong looong time.
    This is a post from 2006!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=52125987&postcount=16

Five years on, still waiting...

Since 2007 they have kept promising from Q1 2009, Then it was Q4 2009. Followed by 'in three months' - now it's 'it won't be done in the next three months'.

It's terrible! You can't trust their word. We're only asking that they fulfil what they have committed to. 30 exchanges for crying out loud. They should ALL be DSL enabled - they are in the North.

And what kills me is that we have no UPC, no Vodafone, no Magnet, no Digiweb. It's eircom or nobody.

(3G doesn't count except for basic surfing - it can't even stream Youtube or do cloud services fast enough to be useable - Satellite is surely also unsuitable for these purposes because of lag issues)

I'm going to write a letter to Eircom's Network Department asking for a clear (non customer service propaganda) timetable to get it done. If they say they're not going to or it's not scheduled to happen any time soon, I intend to contact DCENR and my local minister Phil Hogan to bring this to their attention.

Eircom need to be forced by a new universal service requirement to deliver basic 2Mbps DSL to all customers, and fined heavily for every customer they fail to deliver to. It's the only way you can get them to do anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭funnyname

Indeed
    trekkypj wrote: »
    Eircom need to be forced by a new universal service requirement to deliver basic 2Mbps DSL to all customers, and fined heavily for every customer they fail to deliver to. It's the only way you can get them to do anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Dazza

eronayne wrote: »
    Hi,

Dont know where you are getting your data from but it is wrong.

10 days before your post, Hill Of Down and Ballycotton were launched on June 1st. These were the 929th and 930th locations to be DSL enabled.

Another post your said there have only been four exchanges launched since SEPT 2010, I'm counting eight since March 2011

Regards

Hey.
    Im living in Ballycotton and our exchange is NOT enabled. It was mean to be done this week but the weather postponed it.
    Just to let you know...

Darragh12 wrote: »
    Hey.
    Im living in Ballycotton and our exchange is NOT enabled. It was mean to be done this week but the weather postponed it.
    Just to let you know...

* Still Programmed
    ^ Unprogrammed/Abandoned

Connacht

Roscommon:

Ballyforan^
    Monksland^

Leitrim:

Carrigallen^
    Cloone^
    Leitrim Village *

Sligo

Coolaney^

Galway

Lettermore *
    Kilrickle^

Mayo

Mayo is complete.

Abandoned Connacht = 6
    Programmed Connacht =2

ULSTER

Donegal

Rossknowlagh*
    St. Johnston^

Monaghan

Annyalla^
    Rockcorry*

Cavan

Cavan is complete

Abandoned Ulster = 2

Programmed Ulster =2

MUNSTER

Cork

Ballycotton*
    Ballydesmond^
    Knocknagree^
    Knockraha^

Kerry

Duagh^
    Scartaglin*

Waterford

Ballymacarbry^

Tipperary

Cloughjordan^
    Ballyporeen^

Limerick

Bruree^

Abandoned Munster = 8
    Programmed Munster = 2

Leinster

Westmeath

Milltownpass*

Longford

Longford is complete

Louth

Louth is complete

Meath

Meath is complete

Offaly

Offaly is complete

Laois

Laois is complete

Kilkenny

Oldtown^
    Coon^

Dublin

Naul

Kildare

Calverstown^

Wicklow

Wicklow is complete

Wexford

Wexford is complete

Abandoned Leinster = 3
    Programmed leinster =2

Abandoned Nationwide ^= 19
    Still Programmed *= 8

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭neiphin

eircon lied to me for 3 years
    q1 next year, q3 this year , early next year, middle of this year, may/june next year

i have broad band now, but it they only upgraded the exchange after westnet had set up locally

neiphin wrote: »
    q1 next year, q3 this year , early next year, middle of this year, may/june next year
    They signed up to spend €1.3m a year sponsoring the GAA

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2011/0408/1224294220960.html

If they diverted the GAA sponsorship into finishing the upgrade program they would nearly clear that list this year alone, and certainly by next.

Persons in affected counties should have at the eircom signage in their county stadiums over the summer to make the point. Nothing eircom understand better than cans of paint applied on live television and banners held aloft where the signs should be.

Pearse park in Galway will have a connacht semi this weekend where the people of Lettermore and Kilrickle could make the point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Onikage

Pearse park in Galway will have a connacht semi this weekend where the people of Lettermore and Kilrickle could make the point.

Brilliant idea that will sadly not be realised.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭johnnygman

I think they have abandoned exchange upgrades, strung us along for years. They told blatant lies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 883 ✭✭✭keno-daytrader

Re: the Kilrickle east Galway exchange the Rep on the Eircom board claim its enabled but I dont think so, any number I put in says try emobile.

☀️ 7.6kWp ⚡3.4kWp south, ⚡4.20kWp west

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 346 ✭✭trekkypj

neiphin wrote: »

i have broad band now, but it they only upgraded the exchange after westnet had set up locally

Same story different exchange, as I said earlier. Seems to be the 'default' line for 'I don't know but I don't want to lose your business'.

Three were able to get a mast up and running in December 2009 in less than a month once they located a site and got planning. I'm using their 3G as I speak.

There's a lot of neighbours deeply unhappy at the lack of progress on Eircom's part who are getting rid of their landlines altogether. They're all signing up for the NBS scheme because it's the only game in town.

But it's not broadband and it isn't what people want. They want one bill, one service for phone and internet, and a guarantee of decent speed.

Most of these people wouldn't do that if Eircom got off their arse and finished the job they started in 2007.

It's not right, and Eircom need to accept that they need to get the rest of their exchanges DSL enabled as soon as possible. If that means hiring contractors from the UK, ex-Eircom network employees on short term contracts, or whatever, then they have to do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Dazza

* Still Programmed
    ^ Unprogrammed/Abandoned

Connacht

Roscommon:

Ballyforan^
    Monksland^

Leitrim:

Carrigallen^
    Cloone^
    Leitrim Village *

Sligo

Coolaney^

Galway

Lettermore *
    Kilrickle^

Mayo

Mayo is complete.

Abandoned Connacht = 6
    Programmed Connacht =2

ULSTER

Donegal

Rossknowlagh*
    St. Johnston^

Monaghan

Annyalla^
    Rockcorry*

Cavan

Cavan is complete

Abandoned Ulster = 2

Programmed Ulster =2

MUNSTER

Cork

Ballycotton*
    Ballydesmond^
    Knocknagree^
    Knockraha^

Kerry

Duagh^
    Scartaglin*

Waterford

Ballymacarbry^

Tipperary

Cloughjordan^
    Ballyporeen^

Limerick

Bruree^

Abandoned Munster = 8
    Programmed Munster = 2

Leinster

Westmeath

Milltownpass*

Longford

Longford is complete

Louth

Louth is complete

Meath

Meath is complete

Offaly

Offaly is complete

Laois

Laois is complete

Kilkenny

Oldtown^
    Coon^

Dublin

Naul

Kildare

Calverstown^

Wicklow

Wicklow is complete

Wexford

Wexford is complete

Abandoned Leinster = 3
    Programmed leinster =2

Abandoned Nationwide ^= 19
    Still Programmed *= 8

Thanks for that
    . The exchange (ballycotton) got enabled this week ay the way. :-)

I had a request for this. This is a list of every exchange in Ireland that is not enabled right now.

Remember,

1. Looking for confirmation some of these are installed
    2. eircom only ever promised to upgrade 10% of the list below.

CARNEY (CABINET) Sligo
    EMMOO Roscommon
    GPO DUBLIN GPO
    LISSAVAIRD Cork
    PHOENIX PARK Dublin
    SHANBALLY SHY Waterford
    THE SWAN TSW Laois/Kilkenny

BALLINGARRY BRY Tipperary
    BALLINSKELLIGS BKS Kerry
    BALLINTUBBERT BBT Laois
    BALLYAGRAN BGN Limerick
    BALLYCASTLE BCE Mayo
    BALLYCROY BYR Mayo
    BALLYDALY BDA Offaly
    BALLYDAVID BYD Kerry
    BALLYDESMOND BMD Cork
    BALLYFIN BIN Laois
    BALLYFORAN BFN Roscommon
    BALLYMACARBRY BMY Waterford
    BALLYMACKEY BCK Tipperary
    BALLYMACODA BMA Cork
    BALLYMORE BYW Westmeath
    BALLYNACARGY BNY Westmeath
    BALLYNOE BLO Cork
    BALLYPOREEN BPN Tipperary
    BALLYVAUGHAN BVN Clare
    BANGOR ERRIS BES Mayo
    BAWNBOY BBY Cavan
    BEHAGH BHH Clare
    BERNEY'S CROSS BYX Cork
    BILBOA BIB Carlow
    BINGHAMSTOWN BHM Mayo
    BLACKSOD BKD Mayo
    BLACKWATER BRIDGE BIG Kerry
    BOHERLAHAN BON Tipperary
    BRACKNAGH BKG Offaly
    BROADFORD (Shannon) BRF Clare
    BROSNA BNA Kerry
    BRUREE BEE Limerick
    BUNNANADDAN BUD Sligo
    BUTLERS BRIDGE BUB Cavan
    BWEENG BWG Cork
    CAHER CER Clare
    CAHERAGH CEA Cork
    CAHERDANIEL CRD Kerry
    CALVERSTOWN CVW Kildare
    CANNINGSTOWN CAW Cavan
    CAPE CLEAR CCI Cork
    CAPPAMORE CPM Limerick
    CAPPOGUE BUS PARK CPO Dublin
    CARRICKGLASS CKG Longford
    CARRIG CGB Tipperary
    CARRIGALLEN CIG Leitrim
    CARRIGANIMMY CIM Cork
    CARRON CRR Clare
    CARROWMORELACKEN CMK Mayo
    CASHEL CAS Galway
    CASTLEJORDAN CSJ Meath
    CASTLEMAHON CMN Limerick
    CHURCHTOWN CHW Cork
    CLARE ISLAND CIS Mayo
    CLASHMORE CMO Waterford
    CLEGGAN CGG Galway
    CLOGHAN CGH Offaly
    CLOGHANE CHA Kerry
    CLOGHANS CRF Mayo
    CLONBANIN CROSS CNX Cork
    CLONBULLOGUE CBE Offaly
    CLONBUR CNB Galway
    CLONDRA CNA Longford
    CLONKEEN CKE Kerry
    CLONSKEAGH CKH Dublin
    CLONYGOWAN CYG Offaly
    CLOONE CLU Leitrim
    CLOUGH COU Laois
    COLBINSTOWN COL Kildare
    COLEHILL CLL Longford
    CONNA CNN Cork
    COOLANEY CNY Sligo
    COOLBAWN CBN Tipperary
    COOLCARRIGAN CCG Kildare
    COOLKENNO CKO Wicklow
    COOLRAIN CRN Laois
    COON COO Kilkenny
    CRAGGAGH CAG Clare
    CREGGS CGS Galway
    CRINKILL CRI Tipperary
    CROSS Keys Cavan
    CULDAFF CDF Donegal
    CULLAHILL CIL Laois
    CULLEN CUX Cork
    CURRANE CUA Mayo
    DOIRE CHONAIRE DCE Donegal
    DOOLEEG DLG Mayo
    DOONAHA DHA Clare
    DOWRA DRA Leitrim
    DROMARD DMD Sligo
    DRUMKEEN DUK Donegal
    DRUMKEERAN DKN Leitrim
    DUAGH DGH Kerry
    DUNDERROW DUW Cork
    DUNDERRY DDY Meath
    ERRILL ERL Laois
    EYRECOURT ECT Galway
    FEENAGH FGH Limerick
    FENAGH FEH Carlow
    FERRYBRIDGE FBD Mayo
    FINEA FNA Westmeath
    FINUGE FGE Kerry
    FORDSTOWN FWN Meath
    FOUR ROADS FRS Roscommon
    FYBAGH FYB Kerry
    GALBALLY GBY Limerick
    GARRANARD GRD Mayo
    GEESALA GSL Mayo
    GLANN GLA Galway
    GLASSLOUGH GLS Monaghan
    GLENAMOY GMI Mayo
    GLENCAR GCR Kerry
    GLENCREE GNE Wicklow
    GLENEELY GEY Donegal
    GLENFARNE GLF Leitrim
    GLENISLAND GIL Mayo
    GLENROE GLO Limerick
    GOOLDS CROSS GSX Tipperary
    GRANAGH GNG Limerick
    GURTEEN GUN Galway
    HACKETSTOWN HKN Carlow
    HERBERTSTOWN HBN Limerick
    HEWLETT-PACKARD HPD Kildare
    HOLLYMOUNT HMT Mayo
    IBMSITE IBM Dublin
    INAGH ING Clare
    INCH INH Kerry
    INCHYDONEY INY Cork
    INISBOFIN IBF Galway
    INISHERE IHR Galway
    INISHMAAN INM Galway
    INTEL INL Kildare
    JOHNSWELL JWL Kilkenny
    KEEL KEL Mayo
    KELLS KLL Kerry
    KENAGH KNA Longford
    KILBRIDE KBE Meath
    KILCOMMON KCO Tipperary
    KILCROHANE KCH Cork
    KILKEE KKE Clare
    KILKISHEN KHN Clare
    KILLADOON KON Mayo
    KILLAVULLEN KVN Cork
    KILLIMOR KIR Galway
    KILMEAD KMD Kildare
    KILMEEDY KMY Limerick
    KILRICKLE KCE Galway
    KILRONAN KRN Galway
    KILSHARVAN KSV Meath
    KILTYCLOGHER KLR Leitrim
    KINNITY KNT Offaly
    KNOCK KCK Clare
    KNOCKADERRY KKY Limerick
    KNOCKFERRY KNF Galway
    KNOCKNAGREE KNG Cork
    KNOCKRAHA KHA Cork
    LABASHEEDA LDA Clare
    LAURAGH LRH Kerry
    LAVAGH LVH Sligo
    LEABEG LAG Offaly
    LEITRIM VILLAGE LET Leitrim
    LETTERFRACK LKR Galway
    LETTERMORE LTM Galway
    LISLEVANE LVN Cork
    LISSELTON LSN Kerry
    LISSYCASEY LCY Clare
    LONGWOOD LWD Meath
    LOSKERAN LOS Waterford
    LUGGACURREN LRN Laois
    LYRACROMPANE LPN Kerry
    LYRE Cork
    MAAM MAM Galway
    MARTINSTOWN MAN Limerick
    MEANUS MUS Limerick
    MEELIN MEN Cork
    MENLOUGH MNH Galway
    MILFORD MLD Cork
    MILLTOWNPASS MTP Westmeath
    MONAMOLIN MLN Wexford
    MONEYPOINT MPT Clare
    MOYNE MNE Tipperary
    MOYNE CROSS MEX Longford
    MUCKROSS MUC Kerry
    MULLENNAGLOUGH MUG Tipperary
    MULRANY MRY Mayo
    MYSHALL MYL Carlow
    NARRAGHMORE NAR Kildare
    NAUL NAL Dublin
    NEW INN NIN Galway
    NEW INN NWN Tipperary
    NEWBRIDGE NBE Galway
    NEWCESTOWN NCN Cork
    NEWTOWNCASHEL NTC Longford
    NEWTOWNGORE NGO Leitrim
    NEWTOWNSHANDRUM NSM Cork
    OGONNELLOE OGO Clare
    OLDTOWN Dublin
    OLDTOWN OWN Kilkenny
    PARK PRK Mayo
    PEAMOUNT LANE PML Dublin
    POLLAGH PLL Offaly
    PORTMAGEE PME Kerry
    QUIN QUN Clare
    RACECOURSE ROAD RCR Louth
    RAHEY CROSS RYX Clare
    RATHOE RTO Carlow
    READYPENNY RPY Louth
    REARCROSS RRX Tipperary
    RECESS RCS Galway
    REDCROSS RDS Wicklow
    RINGASKIDDY PORT RIP Cork
    ROBINSTOWN RBT Meath
    ROCKCHAPEL RCH Cork
    ROCKCORRY RKY Monaghan
    ROSEGREEN RGN Tipperary
    ROSEMOUNT ROT Westmeath
    ROSSNOWLAGH RWH Donegal
    ROSSOULTY RSY Tipperary
    ROSSPORT RSP Mayo
    ROUNDSTONE RST Galway
    RUAN RUN Clare
    SALLYBROOK SBK Cork
    SCARTAGLIN SCN Kerry
    SHANAHOE SNO Laois
    SHANNONBRIDGE SNB Offaly
    SILVERMINES SIL Tipperary
    SNEEM SNM Kerry
    ST JOHNSTON STJ Donegal
    STRADBALLY STY Waterford
    STRANOODEN SON Monaghan
    SWANLINBAR SBR Cavan
    TARELTON TAN Cork
    TAUGHMACONNELL TML Roscommon
    TEMPLEDERRY TDY Tipperary
    TEMPLEMARTIN TPN Cork
    TEMPLEOWEN TMO Carlow
    TEMPLETUOHY TPY Tipperary
    THE ROWER RWR Kilkenny
    TIMAHOE TOE Laois
    TOBERELATAN TBL Galway
    TOOMEVARA TOO Tipperary
    TOOREEN TOR Mayo
    TOURMAKEADY TEY Mayo
    TOURNAFULLA TFA Limerick
    TULLAMORE COURT TMC Offaly
    TULLY CROSS TUX Galway
    TUOSIST TST Kerry
    URLAUR URL Mayo
    VALENTIA ISLAND VIS Kerry
    VALLEYMOUNT VMT Wicklow
    VENTRY VTY Kerry
    WALSH ISLAND WIS Offaly
    WOLFHILL WOL Laois
    WOODLAWN WLN Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭regress

This Is only a partial list of non enabled Exchanges... This fiasco would never have been tolerated if Eircom had not been privatised.

I'm going to be a bastard here and point out that The Naul's exchange is in Dublin, not Meath.

Also, the Togher exchange in Louth was enabled 2 years ago.

I've never seen the likes of the Kilsharvan exchange in Meath.. It is even smaller than The Naul's one and I suspect was put there with the excuse of the M1 at Drogheda being built which was going to adversely affect the generation of lucrative line rental with the existing lengthy (and pairgained) copper from Julianstown being rerouted etc. I imagine the NRA coughed up some of the money back in 2002.

Link!

I'm going to be a bastard here and point out that The Naul's exchange is in Dublin, not Meath.

Also, the Togher exchange in Louth was enabled 2 years ago.
    sorted

I've never seen the likes of the Kilsharvan exchange in Meath.. It is even smaller than The Naul's one. I imagine the NRA coughed up some of the money back in 2002.

Link!

Make that all of the money, probably paid for a full sized exchange building and all knowing eircom :)

That is the smallest exchange in Ireland that ...well maybe the exchange strung between 2 poles in Tory Island is smaller but Google never got the feckin car out there yet :)

Much obliged SB.

I wonder if they're still using an overturned empty (in good weather) bottle of Kerry Spring as the top half of a junction box on that forsaken island... I reckon Tory Island's exchange enclosure is smaller but I think I saw two different poles with a larger white box and a microwave link on each, one pole at either end of the island's road. Though that would mean Tory had 2 exchanges when the STD code, number allocation and exchange code are just the one for the whole island.

Eircom didn't even have the good grace to remove the 2 or 3 pairgains that I saw when I looked around Kilsharvan's small service area. And that area would be doing very well to get FWA coverage from any of the wireless ISPs. The mobile internet coverage would be good there in general.

I think I saw two different poles with a larger white box and a microwave link on each, one pole at either end of the island's road. Though that would mean Tory had 2 exchanges when the STD code, number allocation and exchange code are just the one for the whole island.
    I only noticed the one myself. Maybe they load balance that exchange ??

I'll also add: Inver in Donegal is indeed enabled so it may be left off that list. I had a look through many of the exchanges in the Northeast and also Donegal. I noticed Newport, Tipp in the list which I thought was quite big as villages go and it also appears to be enabled, unless there's a second Newport in Tipp.

The most suprising exchange I saw with no DSL was Butlersbridge in Cavan. Not an insignificant rural area, which adjoins an exchange with some serious backhaul. On a national route too, which tend to have ducting on the side of the road when the road is going to or from Dublin and particularly if the road also brings you to/from where the the main exchange is.

• Advertisement

I'll also add: Inver in Donegal is indeed enabled so it may be left off that list. I had a look through many of the exchanges in the Northeast and also Donegal. I noticed Newport, Tipp in the list which I thought was quite big as villages go and it also appears to be enabled, unless there's a second Newport in Tipp.
    Confirm both.

Advertisement