Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom abandon broadbandatoz.ie and dsl rollout

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 346 ✭✭trekkypj

Right folks, I have sent the following to Ministers Rabbitte and Hogan.
    Minister Rabbitte,

I am writing to you (and to your colleague, Minister Hogan) to bring to your attention an issue which is of great concern to myself and many others in our situation.
    I live in a rural community (Coon, North Kilkenny) and currently we do not have access to basic DSL broadband.

I have been trying, without success, to access basic DSL broadband since 2006.
    I have been in contact with lobby group IrelandOffline on a regular basis since then to try and get accurate information on the rollout of DSL in Ireland, because I cannot get a straight answer from Eircom.

They have campaigned for Eircom to roll out DSL to all exchanges for many years now.

*Background*

In 2007 Eircom announced a programme to reprogram 319 exchanges and carry out works to ensure that the exchanges on this list could deliver DSL broadband.
    Eircom committed to completing this work by the end of 2009.

Eircom even set up a site (formerly at www. broadbandatoz.ie) to announce when these exchanges were upgraded.
    It seems that the timetable fell behind and now seems to have been abandoned altogether. The website recently disappeared (in early June 2011) and my queries to Eircom technical support have failed to obtain any meaningful reply.

Our exchange, in Coon, Co. Kilkenny, (Eircom Exchange code: COO) was scheduled to be enabled in the first quarter of 2009. This deadline was put back again and again and now I have been told there are no current plans to upgrade the exchange, despite being on the list Eircom announced in 2007. Regretably, our exchange is still not enabled; There was some work carried out, but it now seems to have been abandoned.

There are several other areas which have not been upgraded. I believe around 30 exchange areas are in a similar situation.

While we now have access to a 3G solution under the National Broadband Scheme, this is not a solution for many people. The speed is irregular, the method of delivery is totally unsuited for streaming of video, IP telephony and it is limited in the number of users it can handle at any one time. It is simply a stop-gap solution.

In any case, I contend that because we live near an eircom exchange and have a fixed line, we should be entitled to be served with a DSL service.

* What can be done? *
    Minister, I accept that Eircom is a private company, and one which continues to have financial difficulties. I know that you cannot intervene directly and tell Eircom's network division to enable the exchange. But I was always taught that promises made should be kept. Eircom have failed to honour their promise to myself and many others in a similar situation.

We pay the same price for our line and get an inferior service without broadband. My parents have been customers since the days of P&T in the 1970s.
    What makes it worse is that even as Eircom abandons their DSL upgrade programme, they are trumpeting the roll-out of "NGN" broadband.

If eircom's word cannot be relied upon, and they continue to break their promises, then surely it is the role of legislators to force them to do what needs to be done.

Minister, there are about 319 exchanges which Eircom promised to upgrade - about 30 of these are not upgraded, including ours. There are a further 250 or so that Eircom has suggested are not 'economically viable' which they do not EVER plan to upgrade for DSL. I do not need to remind you of that which you know perfectly well - Government and EU policy requires that all Irish households have access to quality broadband by certain target dates.

I ask you to make an appeal to Eircom's decision makers and urge them to complete this programme by the end of this year.

You have it in your power to bring in new Universial Service Obligation requirements for fixed line services in this country.
    If Eircom fail to fulfil their promises, I urge you to act and to introduce a requirement to provide a fixed-line DSL service to all households.

It is generally accepted that the minimum service should be a 2Mbps DSL line, and that in time this should be extended to 8Mbps.
    If a heavy financial penalty is introduced for every line which Eircom fails to provide DSL to (within reasonable distance from the exchange) then perhaps they can be motivated to finish rolling out DSL to *ALL* exchanges in Ireland.

Their counterparts in BT in Northern Ireland managed to do this some years ago. Surely, it is time to get this done here also.
    If we do not we risk creating a two-speed digital economy in Ireland.

Regards,

Philip Murphy

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭johnnygman

trekkypj wrote: »

Fair play mate! Let us know when or if u get a response...

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Sean-Tom

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Eircom have just abandoned their broadbandatoz.ie site...you know the one that showed yellow dots for the exchanges they promised to enable.

They have also abandoned their DSL rollout with ( I think) 30 or 40 of the 319 exchanges they promised to do in March 2007 left undone. In Galway I think the abandoned exchanges are Lettermore and somewhere in east Galway but Maree which was not on that list will seemingly be done...some eircom execs live down there no doubt :)

And to think of the poor eejits who dutifully paid over €1300 in line rental since that announcement as they waited for their broadband. :(
    I live in Maree, suppose you don't know where this exchange is and when it will be upgraded??:confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

A white box on the side of the road somewhere, tell us if you see one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 62 ✭✭eronayne

Some of the last exchanges enabled were not on Broadband A To Z so I must restate the list. This was highlighted to me with thanks.

Frankly any exchange not programmed for 2011 must be deemed abandoned. Furthermore certain exchanges that existed in 2007 and were not programmed for an upgrade have been upgraded or are programmed for upgrade.

Incomplete Eircom Exchanges June 2011

* Still Programmed
    ^ Unprogrammed/Abandoned

Connacht

Roscommon:

Ballyforan^
    Monksland^

Leitrim:

Carrigallen^
    Cloone^
    Leitrim Village *

Sligo

Coolaney^

Galway

Lettermore *
    Kilrickle^

Mayo

Mayo is complete.

Abandoned Connacht = 6
    Programmed Connacht =2

ULSTER

Donegal

Rossknowlagh*
    St. Johnston^

Monaghan

Annyalla^
    Rockcorry*

Cavan

Cavan is complete

Abandoned Ulster = 2

Programmed Connacht =2

MUNSTER

Cork

Ballydesmond^
    Knocknagree^
    Knockraha^

Kerry

Duagh^
    Scartaglin*

Waterford

Ballymacarbry^

Tipperary

Cloughjordan^
    Ballyporeen^

Limerick

Bruree^

Abandoned Munster = 8
    Programmed Munster = 1

Leinster

Westmeath

Milltownpass*

Longford

Longford is complete

Louth

Louth is complete

Meath

Meath is complete

Offaly

Offaly is complete

Laois

Laois is complete

Kilkenny

Oldtown^
    Coon^

Dublin

Naul biggrin.gif*

Kildare

Calverstown^

Wicklow

Wicklow is complete

Wexford

Wexford is complete

Abandoned Leinster = 3
    Programmed leinster =2

Abandoned Nationwide = 19
    Still Programmed = 7

Appologies for digging up an old thread,

A few of these sites listed as abandoned have launched since this post.

I'm suew the people in Naull will be delighted to know that the exchange is launching. ;)

• Advertisement

Incomplete Eircom Exchanges OCTOBER 2011

* Still Programmed
    ^ Unprogrammed/Abandoned

Connacht

Roscommon:

Ballyforan^

Leitrim:

Carrigallen^
    Cloone^
    Leitrim Village *

Sligo

Sligo is complete.

Galway

Kilrickle^

Mayo

Mayo is complete.

Abandoned Connacht = 4
    Programmed Connacht =1

ULSTER

Donegal

St. Johnston^

Monaghan

Annyalla^

Cavan

Cavan is complete

Abandoned Ulster = 2

Programmed Ulster =0

MUNSTER

Cork

Ballydesmond^
    Knocknagree^
    Knockraha^

Kerry

Kerry is complete

Waterford

Ballymacarbry^

Tipperary

Ballyporeen^

Limerick

Bruree^

Abandoned Munster = 6
    Programmed Munster = 0

Leinster

Westmeath

Westmeath is complete

Longford

Longford is complete

Louth

Louth is complete

Meath

Meath is complete

Offaly

Offaly is complete

Laois

Laois is complete

Kilkenny

Oldtown^
    Coon^

Dublin

Dublin is complete

Kildare

Calverstown^

Wicklow

Wicklow is complete

Wexford

Wexford is complete

Abandoned Leinster = 3
    Programmed leinster =0

Abandoned Nationwide = 15
    Still Programmed = 1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭MajorMax

trekkypj wrote: »

OK I'm going to clear up a few things

1. you want a government minister to use his position to place undue pressure on a privately owned company because a few people outside of urban areas can't get broadband? That's the sort of Gombeen politics that got this country in trouble in the first place.

2. You want eircom to spend time and money upgrading exchanges that are not economically viable for service, eircom will take a financial loss to provide this service and as everyone is aware, due to the actions of the previous Government, eircom is in serious financial trouble at the moment

3. You see broadband as your right even though there is no obligation for broadband in the USO, last time the USO came up for tender in 2010 there were 13 applicants, guess who won? That's right, eircom applied and won the tender until 2012. They are obliged to provide the following under the requirements of the 2002 EU Directive which was implemented in Ireland by the European Communities (Electronic Communications Networks and Services) (Universal Service and User’s Rights) Regulations 2003 – S.I. No.308 of 2003
    (a.) Local, national and international telephone calls
    (b.) Facsimile (fax) communications
    (c.) Data communications at data rates that are sufficient to permit functional internet access (the USP is currently required to adopt 28.8kbps as a reasonable minimum data rate)

4. It is a fact that eircom in conjunction with digiweb has a satellite bb service available anywhere in Ireland with quite respectable upload/download speeds, 3.6Mb/384Kb, although satellite bb is notorious for it's lag but if you're not playing online games that's not an issue.
    Of course you won't want to pay the connection charge of €760 for satellite broadband you want eircom to take a loss just so you can surf the net

5. Even Comreg have recognised that there is no way that eircom can upgrade all exchanges at the moment or in the forseeable future.
    Four years ago eircom approached the Government and offered to upgrade every exchange and get broadband to every house in Ireland, they were willing to spend €100 million to do this if the Government would match those funds. Guess what the Government said?

You don't want much do you? It's easy to blame eircom for this and I'm no fan of eircom but I'm sick of this Me Me Me culture that is predominant in modern Ireland. It's broadband for God's sake not a cure for cancer, live with it or arrange alternatives

This thread is about exchange upgrades promised by eircom nearly 5 years ago and not upgraded yet.

Your rant might be suitable for a thread about the 270 odd exchanges that eircom neither propose to upgrade or choose to upgrade unannounced as is often the case.

Of course if eircom refuse to do what they long ago said they would do then why should the taxpayer give them any money???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

That's quite a pathetic response when you look at how eircom fought the designation of even dialup speeds of 28k in the USO. Eircom, the incompetent dimwits, can't even manage that on something like 6% of phone lines! And that is the target they have to achieve under the changes to the USO brought in by the bunch of ex telecom-eireann employees that is ComReg.

How long did it take eircom to recognise that any place with a population under 1500 could also be economically viable for DSL rollout?! It took like two years after most european countries were doing so. And what of the DSL distance limits which were due to the "laws of physics"?? Oh that's right, the old limit of 4.5km is now about 8km! Eircom for the first half of the decade in particular, were run by a bunch of luddites and carpet-bagger venture capitalists.

Meanwhile the most isolated parts of NI are getting FTTC rollouts with BT and govt. cooperation. At a tiny fraction of the subsidy eircom wanted to do the same for the same old "towns with a population over 1500" criteria".

This thread is about exchange upgrades promised by eircom nearly 5 years ago and not upgraded yet.

Your rant might be suitable for a thread about the 270 odd exchanges that eircom neither propose to upgrade or choose to upgrade unannounced as is often the case.

Of course if eircom refuse to do what they long ago said they would do then why should the taxpayer give them any money???

Rant - to speak or declaim extravagantly or violently; talk in a wild or vehement way;

Just because someone has an opinion that is different than yours does not mean that they are ranting. If you don't agree with my opinion then just say so. Leave out the hyperbole

• Advertisement

That's quite a pathetic response when you look at how eircom fought the designation of even dialup speeds of 28k in the USO. Eircom, the incompetent dimwits, can't even manage that on something like 6% of phone lines! And that is the target they have to achieve under the changes to the USO brought in by the bunch of ex telecom-eireann employees that is ComReg.

How long did it take eircom to recognise that any place with a population under 1500 could also be economically viable for DSL rollout?! It took like two years after most european countries were doing so. And what of the DSL distance limits which were due to the "laws of physics"?? Oh that's right, the old limit of 4.5km is now about 8km! Eircom for the first half of the decade in particular, were run by a bunch of luddites and carpet-bagger venture capitalists.

Meanwhile the most isolated parts of NI are getting FTTC rollouts with BT and govt. cooperation. At a tiny fraction of the subsidy eircom wanted to do the same for the same old "towns with a population over 1500" criteria".

I refer you to point 4 of my "rant" If you really need broadband then it is available anywhere in the country,

You want a company that is profit driven to invest heavily in a product expansion that will benifit a very limited portion of the population and will bring little or no return to an investment that will cost hundreds of millions of Euro. Do you still believe in Santa? Eircom answers to shareholders and ANY investment must be approved and authorised

Simple economics mean that this is a losing proposition and it is a fact that the political will to bring about any change is lacking. How is that eircom's fault or responsibility.

Eircom when it became a public company (I got burned in that debacle like a lot of people) inherited a network that was already creaking at the seams. This was due to a chronic lack of investment by successive Governments

The point, that you went out of your way to miss while jumping onto your high horse, is why should eircom upgrade these exchanges? "Because I want broadband" is not the correct answer

The people on this thread seem to have a sense of entitlement that broadband service is a fundamental human right. That greatly concerns me. I'd be more concerned with the 3rd world health system that we have presently than whether a bunch of villagers can get broadband.

Before you jump on that horse again I live in a very small village as well with NGN bb I'm happy to report

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

MajorMax wrote: »
    I refer you to point 4 of my "rant" If you really need broadband then it is available anywhere in the country,

You want a company that is profit driven to invest heavily in a product expansion that will benifit a very limited portion of the population and will bring little or no return to an investment that will cost hundreds of millions of Euro. Do you still believe in Santa? Eircom answers to shareholders and ANY investment must be approved and authorised

Simple economics mean that this is a losing proposition and it is a fact that the political will to bring about any change is lacking. How is that eircom's fault or responsibility.

Eircom when it became a public company (I got burned in that debacle like a lot of people) inherited a network that was already creaking at the seams. This was due to a chronic lack of investment by successive Governments

The point, that you went out of your way to miss while jumping onto your high horse, is why should eircom upgrade these exchanges? "Because I want broadband" is not the correct answer

The people on this thread seem to have a sense of entitlement that broadband service is a fundamental human right. That greatly concerns me. I'd be more concerned with the 3rd world health system that we have presently than whether a bunch of villagers can get broadband.

Before you jump on that horse again I live in a very small village as well with NGN bb I'm happy to report

I'm alright jack but those others shouldn't have what I have?

And most European countries do view broadband as a human right and an entitlement, as well as the EU.

I'd well believe it, and they're not necessarily in the middle of nowhere. I tried to get ADSL in Drumcondra in 2008 as UPC weren't available at the time. When I got the line installed, not only did it fail the prequalify for DSL, it could only manage 16.8k on dialup! I got rid of it very quickly, luckily UPC became available within a couple of months.

MajorMax wrote: »

Satellite internet is not broadband, not when people could watch more than 5 HD youtube videos of 10 minutes and exceed bloody hourly quotas. So we'll just leave that "solution" (with remote mountains and scientific research stations in mind) to the side. I don't remember saying I want anything like an invesment from a private company in their own business. I do remember ridiculing eircom for not being able to make investments that were commonplace in every developed country, mainly because they (as described once to the US ambassador) were luddites and were being screwed over by carpet baggers.

Also to say the govts of e.g. the 90s were responsible for the lack of investment in TÉ is nonsense. Ten billion pounds in real terms had been invested in TÉ by the time it was sold off and up to then, they were near enough to the forefront of technology usage. E.g. building the solas cable, Ireland's considerable early uptake of ISDN (which was brought to every exchange in the end) even if it was overpriced. The initial trials of ADSL were around the same time as several other countries started theirs. Then the dot com bubble crashed and the rest was history.

It seems that MajorMax takes slagging and ridicule of eircom very seriously. It's a shame because I've no personal reason to dislike eircom. My family, my friends and I all are able to get eircom DSL if they want it. I happen to think that eircom's management over the previous decade were incompetent except when looking for salary increases or a new HQ, say.

Karsini wrote: »
    I'd well believe it, and they're not necessarily in the middle of nowhere. I tried to get ADSL in Drumcondra in 2008 as UPC weren't available at the time. When I got the line installed, not only did it fail the prequalify for DSL, it could only manage 16.8k on dialup! I got rid of it very quickly, luckily UPC became available within a couple of months.
    The exact number is in Comreg's annual? report on eircom's USO performance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Spacedog

Why don't you run some cables and set this **** up yourselves.

get a load of UPC lines or leased lines into a gaff in the nearest BB town, tiem all up with a load balancer and a server to manage users. run cables along existing telegraph poles to nearest mountaintop, lash in an conventional omni directional antenna.

go around selling broadband subs with 250 euro installation fee. install sky dish pointed to your antenna, pigtailed into a normal wifi card.

profit.

Remember the irishwan project?, them boys had broadband in limrick, galway long before most of the dubs.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Arrrrgggghhhhhhh!!!!!!!

2Mb Broadband, No broadband, 28.8 Minimum, let's get real here for a minute.

Most of what we have in Ireland is NOT broadband, for several reasons. First, the REAL speed is nothing like the theoretical maximum speed, and second, by the time that contention is taken into consideration, it's worse, and then there are the very real issues of server overload that mean many transactions fail due to lost packets in the servers of the ISP's.

Then there's the issue of ADSL. 8 Down is supposedly widely available, but in most cases, it's 256, or if you are lucky, 512 up, again maximum and often slower. So what you may ask. If all you want is lots of downloads of whatever content, valid or otherwise, it's not an issue, or not significantly. If however, you are a small business, and want to offer a good service to your customers, then at the moment, the ONLY viable option is to rent space on a server farm somewhere on the few locations in the country that have access to the Gigabit Fibre hub or network, If I can download at 24Mb, but can only upload at 2 Mb, then I can't offer an acceptable service quality to my customers, because what they could in theory download in one second is going to take at least 12 seconds for me to upload to them.

So, I use a server farm, and that's the choice that a lot of people have been forced to make, and make no mistake, Eircom are making a LOT of money providing space and service on their servers in strategic locations around the country, and it's no way in their interest to provide an acceptable synchronous speed to the majority of customers, as a significant number might then choose not to host their information on the Eircom servers.

Then we go into the next buzz word, "Cloud computing". Be AFRAID, VERY AFRAID.

Cloud computing is nothing new, I've been around computers of one form or another for close on 40 years, and cloud computing was out there for most of those years, it just wasn't called that. There are BIG risks in cloud.

The link from your company to the cloud may fail for a whole multitude of reasons, and if it's not provided by the cloud service, the link provider may not see any massive urgency in fixing the problem. That's a potential problem if you can't process your company payroll at the time it's meant to be done. The next issue is that if your software is also in the cloud along with your company's critical data, and you can't get at it when you need to, what do you do. Ring your TD, complain to Comreg, call the competition Authority? Good luck, you're going to need it in spades and will probably still be waiting in a week or so for a response, let alone some action.

Then, perish the thought, what do you do if all your company data and programs become unavailable as a result of the hosting company ceasing to operate either due to a major failure of hardware or of the company itself. Move it all to another provider. That may be easier said than done, unless the backup strategy of the provider is cast iron, and hasn't been compromised by the sort of issues that happen in a company that's about to go under, or compromised by the refusal of person or persons involved in complex litigation to release the information. Of course, you made sure that the Cloud agreement had cast iron escrow arrangements in place for all of your data and applications, didn't you? No? Oh dear, so there's no way to get all your critical company information back at the moment? Might be a good time to file for protection while you can, and before you are prosecuted for reckless trading!

OK, some of this is a bit off the absolute core of the lack of availability of broadband in small rural areas, but I can think of a number of companies that operate in very rural areas, and can't get access to internet services at a speed and capacity that's appropriate to their requirements, or, to be more accurate, they can't get that access at a local level, and in some cases, that has meant they have to deal with the significant overhead of having some of their administrative services operate in an offsite less remote location just in order to be able to get the computer services access that their business requires.

So, the absence of broadband in rural areas, PROPER broadband rather than gaming and web TV watching broadband, is a real and significant cost factor for many businesses in Ireland, and Eircom and others have no interest in changing that, as they are making nice profits at present from renting space, capacity and services on their server farms in the large urban areas.

For Ireland Inc to really see things improve, and to see the end of the surge towards urban areas that have been the cause of some of the most devastating mistakes of recent years, things like the communication and broadband strategy have to be fundamentally changed.

A friend of mine lives in a little village in the middle of the Mourne Mountains called Clough. He was delighted and happy to recently report that he now has Fibre to the cabinet from BT that gives him 25 Mb Down and 6Mb up, for less than I'm paying for 8Mb down and 512K up. That's the sort of thing that is killing investment, initiative, etc. all across this country, and if BT could do it in Northern Ireland, why can't Eircom deliver the same here?

At last check, I think we have dropped to No 27 in Europe in the broadband league, and yet our politicians still think we have a chance of getting Net and Web based business to come to Ireland? Read the writing on the wall guys, to get the sort of companies you are talking about, they will want Gigabit speeds to places that some of you have never even heard of!

A combination of incompetent and inept self serving politicians and a number of asset stripping money suckers that controlled Eircom have resulted in a communications infrastructure that is far from being the envy of Europe, it's now a major embarrassment to the people that know, and the really sad thing about it is that no one seems to be overly worried about changing it, as long as the masses can get their twitter and facebook fixes, or their porn films and hacked movies, who cares??

We will end up caring when the major computer companies like Microsoft, HP, Intel and others decide that Ireland has run out of potential and is no longer economic as a location for future business, due to the failure of innovation and implementation, and that time is closer than a lot of people think.

Rant off,

Steve

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

Minister Rabbitte is discussing NGN and state aid with eircom these days where he really should be getting them to finish this programme by end March 2012...ie 5 Years After eircom announced these exchanges would get ADSL.

Trekkypj, did Hogan or Rabbitte have the manners to contact you re your email at all??

Outstanding and non DSL enabled exchanges from the April 2007 Broadband Rollout Programme.

Incomplete Eircom Exchanges NOVEMBER 2011

* Still Programmed
    ^ Unprogrammed/Abandoned

Connacht

Roscommon:

Ballyforan^

Leitrim:

Carrigallen^
    Cloone^
    Leitrim Village *

Sligo

Sligo is complete.

Galway

Kilrickle^

Mayo

Mayo is complete.

Abandoned Connacht = 4
    Programmed Connacht =1

ULSTER

Donegal

St. Johnston^

Monaghan

Annyalla^

Cavan

Cavan is complete

Abandoned Ulster = 2

Programmed Ulster =0

MUNSTER

Cork

Ballydesmond^
    Knocknagree^
    Knockraha^

Kerry

Kerry is complete

Waterford

Ballymacarbry^

Tipperary

Ballyporeen^

Limerick

Bruree^

Abandoned Munster = 6
    Programmed Munster = 0

Leinster

Westmeath

Westmeath is complete

Longford

Longford is complete

Louth

Louth is complete

Meath

Meath is complete

Offaly

Offaly is complete

Laois

Laois is complete

Kilkenny

Oldtown^
    Coon^

Dublin

Dublin is complete

Kildare

Calverstown^

Wicklow

Wicklow is complete

Wexford

Wexford is complete

Abandoned Leinster = 3
    Programmed leinster =0

Still Programmed = 1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭cargo

Was there any update on this. I know 1 of these exchanges that seems to be getting an upgrade. (Kilkenny Oldtown). I came across a utility company working on the road leading to it and I was told locally that the exchange is been upgraded.

A number of OHL copper thefts in the past 18 months may have caused this upgrade but just wondering if anyone knew if there was anywhere to see what remains to be done in Ireland?

There was this, one year ago.

http://www.kilkennypeople.ie/news/local/kilkenny_s_rural_internet_not_up_to_speed_1_2361558
    The residents in Tullaroan had been promised by Eircom that the Oldtown exchange was on a waiting list and would be upgraded in March of last year, then they were told July. Eventually Ms Moore was told that due to the cost involved there were no plans to upgrade the Oldtown exchange. Fed up waiting for the infrastructure to be upgraded Ms Joy contacted premier broad band. Although the satellite based broadband that premier provide is 65 euro a month, Ms Joy said that you can see lots of little satellites on homes all over Tullaroan.

In Dunamaggan Trish Finnegan of Creative Catering has found that she has no access to the National Broadband Scheme or Eircom broadband as the land line as the Kells exchange hasn't been upgraded.

But when the paper checked with eircom themselves.
    A spokesperson for Eircom said that they intend to update two exchanges in Kilkenny in 2011.

5 years after they announced these two exchanges the residents are still waiting after being given bum steer after bum steer by eircom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭cargo

There was this, one year ago.

http://www.kilkennypeople.ie/news/local/kilkenny_s_rural_internet_not_up_to_speed_1_2361558

But when the paper checked with eircom themselves.

5 years after they announced these two exchanges the residents are still waiting after being given bum steer after bum steer by eircom.

Well saw util guys installing manhole onto an existing ducting network (duct down 10 yrs I believe) and asked what it was about and told Oldtown was been upgraded.

I wonder does the fact the Enviro minister is from there have anything to do with it :-)

Probably focused minds in eircom, they want to tap the government for funds to invest with you see. :)

Incomplete Eircom Exchanges MAY 2012

Connacht

Roscommon:

Ballyforan

Leitrim:

Carrigallen
    Cloone

Sligo

Sligo is complete.

Galway

Kilrickle

Mayo

Mayo is complete.

Abandoned Connacht = 4

ULSTER

Donegal

St. Johnston

Monaghan

Annyalla

Cavan

Cavan is complete

Abandoned Ulster = 2

MUNSTER

Cork

Ballydesmond
    Knocknagree
    Knockraha

Kerry

Kerry is complete

Waterford

Ballymacarbry

Tipperary

Ballyporeen

Limerick

Bruree

Abandoned Munster = 6

Leinster

Westmeath

Westmeath is complete

Longford

Longford is complete

Louth

Louth is complete

Meath

Meath is complete

Offaly

Offaly is complete

Laois

Laois is complete

Kilkenny

Oldtown
    Coon

Dublin

Dublin is complete

Kildare

Calverstown

Wicklow

Wicklow is complete

Wexford

Wexford is complete

Abandoned Leinster = 3

Leitrim got NGB since the November update.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

AFAIK Taughmaconnel in Roscommon is not and will not be done.

Some people think that eircom is wandering their way soon with NGB or Fibre Cabs.

This is a reminder of the 2007 ADSL Programme that they abandoned ( incomplete and with no apologies) in 2011.
    The Leitrim Village exchange was enabled in October or November 2011 and that was that. No progress since.

Incomplete Eircom Exchanges August 2012

* Still Programmed
    ^ Unprogrammed/Abandoned

Connacht

Roscommon:

Ballyforan^

Leitrim:

Carrigallen^
    Cloone^

Sligo

Sligo is complete.

Galway

Kilrickle^

Mayo

Mayo is complete.

Abandoned Connacht = 4

ULSTER

Donegal

St. Johnston^

Monaghan

Annyalla^

Cavan

Cavan is complete

Abandoned Ulster = 2

Programmed Ulster =0

MUNSTER

Cork

Ballydesmond^
    Knocknagree^
    Knockraha^

Kerry

Kerry is complete

Waterford

Ballymacarbry^

Tipperary

Ballyporeen^

Limerick

Bruree^

Abandoned Munster = 6
    Programmed Munster = 0

Leinster

Westmeath

Westmeath is complete

Longford

Longford is complete

Louth

Louth is complete

Meath

Meath is complete

Offaly

Offaly is complete

Laois

Laois is complete

Kilkenny

Oldtown^
    Coon^

Dublin

Dublin is complete

Kildare

Calverstown^

Wicklow

Wicklow is complete

Wexford

Wexford is complete

Abandoned Leinster = 3
    Programmed leinster =0

Still Programmed = 0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,575 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Sponge Bob is the exchange enabled in New Inn county Tipperary?

id be surprise if it was

No it isn't, nor was it promised in 2007..here is the list

Outstanding non DSL enabled exchanges from the April 2007 Broadband Rollout Programme.

(no change in the last year since eircom abandoned this programme with not a word of an apology)

Incomplete Eircom Exchanges OCTOBER 2012

Connacht

Roscommon:

Ballyforan

Leitrim:

Carrigallen
    Cloone

Sligo

Sligo is complete.

Galway

Kilrickle

Mayo

Mayo is complete.

Abandoned Connacht = 4

ULSTER

Donegal

St. Johnston

Monaghan

Annyalla

Cavan

Cavan is complete

Abandoned Ulster = 2

MUNSTER

Cork

Ballydesmond
    Knocknagree
    Knockraha

Kerry

Kerry is complete

Waterford

Ballymacarbry

Tipperary

Ballyporeen

Limerick

Bruree

Abandoned Munster = 6

Leinster

Westmeath

Westmeath is complete

Longford

Longford is complete

Louth

Louth is complete

Meath

Meath is complete

Offaly

Offaly is complete

Laois

Laois is complete

Kilkenny

Oldtown
    Coon

Dublin

Dublin is complete

Kildare

Calverstown

Wicklow

Wicklow is complete

Wexford

Wexford is complete

Abandoned Leinster = 3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

It is an absolute disgrace and the media not covering it is equally as bad. Parts of Ireland are still offline.

Fair play sponge bob.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,575 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Sponge Bob add New-Inn to that

Advertisement