Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heat wave for June/July - my arse!

Options
  • 11-06-2011 9:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 33,654 ✭✭✭✭

I listened to media reports about 3 or 4 weeks ago about a heatwave in June and July, with temps topping all records.

Its nearing the middle of June and still no sign.

Where the hell is it?

Does this just go to prove that the weather 'experts' really haven't got that much of a clue?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Not really, just means you shouldn't believe everything you read in the paper or hear on the radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭fulmer1984

Weather forecasters cant predict more than 5 days in advance, even at that they get it wrong so wouldn't listen to long term forecasts!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

The weather "experts" never said there would be a heatwave, quite the opposite in fact. The only ones saying there would be were the media, and of course far too many people believed them. They said "forecasters" had predicted it, yet not once did they say who these forecasters were, or reference any quotes.

Put this down as a learning experience for you. Don't read the papers for your forecasts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Boards.ie Weather Forum, putting the 'Moisutre Whore' back into forecasting.

May take a while....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Would be a good idea to reframe your title..

And all I hav to say is ... Weather is one of the most overhyped stories in the media.

That's why I don't believe anthing from
    Papers or radios .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,475 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

looks like Budweiser will be safe from giving out all the free pints

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭NIALL D

Skerries wrote: »
    looks like Budweiser will be safe from giving out all the free pints

haha , they will save a fortune :D

• Registered Users Posts: 33,654 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Iancar29 wrote: »
    Would be a good idea to reframe your title.. Mods will change it for you otherwise!

And all I hav to say is ... Weather is one of the most overhyped stories in the media.

That's why I don't believe anthing from
    Papers or radios .

Whats wrong with the title?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,519 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

NIMAN wrote: »
    I listened to media reports about 3 or 4 weeks ago about a heatwave in June and July, with temps topping all records.

Where the hell is it?

Does this just go to prove that the weather 'experts' really haven't got that much of a clue?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056256567

Note the lack of the word "heatwave"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭maxer68

NIMAN wrote: »

Where the hell is it?

You believe tabloid journalists???????

ah now :D

But Irish weather is notoriously to predict accurately (you should have learnt this in 3rd year geography!!)

Yesterday is a prime example for leinster (I needed good weather for an event so was watching very carefully.)

2 weeks ago, forecast was to be settled spell, warm, dry, light winds.

Last Monday, weekend changeable, showers saturday, warming sunday and mainly dry.

Wednesday, possibility of some showers late Sunday, but bright spells

Friday - torrential rain from about noon sunday, possible flooding

Saturday 9pm - Rain coming from south, heavy all day a clearance late evening & overnight.

Actual result. Light Rain from 8am, a little heavier about 11am to 12 noon, turned lighter, stopped at about 1.30, sun appeared about 2.30 and it warned up to about 17 degrees.

But that's the Irish weather for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

I have a long range weather website myself and must say that this year is a big surprise for me. I expected much warmer weather for June and July and though at the moment July does look slightly better than June (not hard) in a week it may have gale force winds and rain predicted and then in a week after that mixed weather .

So in Summery(excuse the pun) the charts are constantly changing and long range forecasts can only be taken so seriously but what you can say a lot of the time is that the Irish Summer will be moderate, changeable and wet from time to time. In the Northwest we get on average 4 to 5 wet days every week in Summer. A wet day is a day with 1.0mm or more of rainfall.

Sometimes Ireland gets an exceptional year like 1976, 1995 and we get much more sunshine countrywide. Now for a long time Ive been studying the weather charts and other sites and media and models tides and sea ice and they all pointed to a hot Summer but a few lows from the West and Northwest threw themselves unexpectantly into the mix and have ruined the start of Summer.

Lets hope the High to the South gets its act together. It looks like a few warm days from 23rd to 25th June are possible and tomorrw too will be nice :)

After that July could be warmer but there is nothing out of the ordinary if it is 15c cloudy and rainy a lot of the time. We live at the mercy of the North Atlantic.

And the Atlantic has gathered much more energy in the Summer months so far than I had anticipated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭HellFireClub

Does the same logic that says that we will have colder winters because of a minimum of solar activity/sun spots, not also suggest that summers will also be "colder"???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

pauldry wrote: »
    I have a long range weather website myself

If weathergossip(dot)com is what you call your "long range weather website" I really hope it continues to fail miserably as an ad revenue generator. I'm sure you are a decent human being but your site is a disgrace to be associated with the boards.ie weather forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Fact is, the first half of June is only "summer" to the climate and weather statistics folk, I think our ancestors had it right when they started summer with the solstice and let it run into September.

Now there's no doubt the last week has been about as cold as this time of year can get, but I would say, wait and see how the actual summer part of summer turns out. There are faint signs of improvement longer term now. However, I don't like having all these volcanoes going off. But that's more of a signal for autumn and winter perhaps.

For the key months of July and August, I think the "over/under" is slightly above normal for temperature, possibly only a fraction, but rainfall may fall back again, after two months that helped to reverse drought in some parts of the west and north.

Anyway, these forecasts happen for two reasons, some people make them, and other people ask about them. Until that stops, I guess we'll be stuck either making them or hearing them. Or both. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭maxer68

pauldry wrote: »
    at the moment July does look slightly better than June .

Read as July will be crap - windy wet and cold, but no frost like june.

Advertisement