Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rotel RA810A amplifier

• 11-06-2011 10:22am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25

Hi all, just wondering does anyone know a good place to get one of these amplifiers repaired. Its about 21 years old, and i have lost one channel on it. Definitely not the speakers as ive tried both in the same output. im actually suspicious of the balance control as its been distinctly dodgy recently, but not certain. There used to be a place on The Crescent in Monkstown, think its long gone though. Only other place i know is Cloney Audio, just feel they may be a bit expensive. I live in tallaght, so the nearer the better, cheers thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

The Hifi Hospital which used to be on Capel St is now in Blachardstown at http://www.thehifihospital.com/ That said Cloney are the agents for Rotel and no dearer than anywhere else. Depends where you live I suppose!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25 fonzie01

Thanks for that. id say i will drop it into cloney and hope that it aint too difficult to repair. I read on another sight that parts for it can be tricky to get now. But its such a fabulous sound off it, it would be a pity to replace it without trying

fonzie01 wrote: »
    Thanks for that. id say i will drop it into cloney and hope that it aint too difficult to repair. I read on another sight that parts for it can be tricky to get now. But its such a fabulous sound off it, it would be a pity to replace it without trying

did you try changing the fuses? Mains and output? lift the lid, pop them out and get replacements in Maplins (or wherever). Dirt cheap and it might only be that.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

the switches on these old amps, like the tone control and balance can get dodgy over time(the arcam alphas had a notorious problem with the input selection switch). if it is that, then it is a simple enough repair and either of the places slaphead mentioned should be well capable of fixing it

funny you should mention fuse replacement, Only about 5 or 6 years ago, it did start blowing the same fuse quite frequently, although it was causing the amp to stop working altogether, it was repaired quite cheaply. Wouldnt have thought a fuse could cause a channel to go, but i will certainly have a look. Thanks too Mossym, my Dad has an Arcam Alpha , also bought from Cloney, although a fair bit newer than my Rotel. Also sounds great, dont think he's had any trouble out of it yet.

• Advertisement

fonzie01 wrote: »
    Wouldnt have thought a fuse could cause a channel to go, but i will certainly have a look.

I'm guessing there will be two small fuses, one for each for each channel - the output fuses. if one is blown then that channel is gone. You could try switching them to confirm.

Just in case anyone is interested, my Rotel amp arrived back yesterday, good as new, left it in to cloney in the end, 40 euro was the final price. There was a burnt out fuse allegedly (which i must have missed, they looked ok to me, and didnt make a difference when i switched the two around). Think there was something causing the fuse to blow, as it went again on them. Cleaned up all the switches etc too. Heres hoping it will last another 20 odd years.....still sounds great. thanks to everyone for their help and suggestions.

Advertisement