Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Puzzling google search alert

• 11-06-2011 10:25am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭

First off mods, I'm not sure exactly where this should be so feel free to move the thread if you feel it's in the wrong place.

I get google to email me the results of searches on my name every week. Usually there's nothing but today a result I got was very puzzling. It sent me the results of a boards.ie PM that I sent to a three rep under the heading though of a thread I started on the O2.ie forum. I've attached images of the google search listing and the O2.ie thread.

The link it's showing to on the o2.ie forum is here:
    http://community.o2online.ie/t5/Apple/iTunes-10-3-Released/m-p/286854

but the content under the link is from the PM I sent the three rep. Can anyone explain to me how this might happen? Both how a PM could be indexed and also how the PM content might end up under a different link albeit posted by me on another forum. Thanks in advance.

162525.jpg

162526.jpg

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,545 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Your PM content is there in the page source alright.

[noparse]<DIV id="_mcePaste" style="position: absolute; left: -10000px; top: 0px; width: 1px; height: 1px; overflow-x: hidden; overflow-y: hidden;"> <DIV id="_mcePaste" style="position: absolute; left: -10000px; top: 0px; width: 1px; height: 1px; overflow-x: hidden; overflow-y: hidden;">Hi Fiona</DIV> <DIV id="_mcePaste" style="position: absolute; left: -10000px; top: 0px; width: 1px; height: 1px; overflow-x: hidden; overflow-y: hidden;">I didnt get the call but the port went through. I'v another question. Carphonewarehouse told him there no free add-on on the classic flex max plan anymore with the iPhone but on the three website I can still order an iphone with a free add-on. Can he get the unlimited landlines add-on put on the account for free? No: xxxxxxxxx</DIV> <DIV id="_mcePaste" style="position: absolute; left: -10000px; top: 0px; width: 1px; height: 1px; overflow-x: hidden; overflow-y: hidden;">redacted</DIV> </DIV>[/noparse]

O2 have a Talk To forum;

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1479

so you can ask them direct what's gone wrong with their page.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

Cheers Spear. I'll do that. Any ideas why that maybe? They're using lithium as their forum. Could this have anything to do with it. Would you also mind editing your post to remove my mobile number.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,545 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

cookie1977 wrote: »
    Cheers Spear. I'll do that. Any ideas why that maybe? They're using lithium as their forum. Could this have anything to do with it. Would you also mind editing your post to remove my mobile number.

Sorry, number removed now. I had removed your name, but didn't spot the number.

No problem at all. Thanks for noticing that ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 184 ✭✭Razzuh

Hi,

I looked in to this quickly and it seems that the problem is caused by bug in a javascript visual text editor called TinyMCE. It is most likely to happen if you are using chrome or safari I think?

The problem occurs when you paste in text, mainly from a text editor. As well as marking up the text properly, it also leaves a copy of all the text that is hidden from view but is still in the HTML, and can therefore be indexed by google. I was able to recreate the problem on o2.ie.

SO I guess what happened was that you accidentally pasted in the PM from boards when you were writing your o2.ie post? You might have then backspaced the text you didn't want but because of the bug the hidden text was left behind...

Can you go to o2.ie and edit your post there? When you edit, you should see tabs for 'rich text', 'html' and 'preview'. Have a look in HTML and see if the text you don't want is there. They will be surrounded by <div id="_mcePaste"> tags. If you see them, you can remove these and then save your post.

• Advertisement

Pretty much sums up what I was thinking in relation to chrome and paste. I found the text you talked about in the html editor yesterday.

I'm not sure if I deleted the text or not. What I'm thinking is that my cursor got a little stuck and dropped the PM into the html post, which is why it's there in html format but not in the actual post. Or I pasted in the text, found it was the wrong text, deleted it as you say and then copy and pasted in the correct text (i cant honestly remember). I've been checking out older posts where I would have copy and pasted to see if it's happened before.

I am using the latest Chrome 13 dev. I'll just have to be a little careful from now on ;)

Cheers Razzuh ;)

http://community.o2online.ie/t5/Forum-News/Concern-over-forum-security/td-p/288536

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 184 ✭✭Razzuh

Just to clarify, the problem isn't really with the browsers, it was with Tiny MCE, the visual text editor o2 forums use. It is a compatibilitiy issue Tiny MCE had with processing text pasted inWebKit enabled browsers (safari and chrome).

I understand from my searching that Tiny MCE have fixed this issue, but the o2 forums must be using an older version of their software which still has the bug. It will continue to happen until o2 update their Tiny MCE scripts (probably not any time soon) or at least the paste plugin of it.

When I tried to recreate the problem the site wouldn't actually let me post it, seeming to detect the erroneous HTML in the post (I could only see the bug HTML in the HTML and Preview tabs). How this didn't work to stop your post I don't know. It's either something they put in since or whatever they've tried to detect unwanted HTML doesn't work right itself in some scenarios!

I have previously seen it stop me and auto correct html but it never did this time. You maybe right about it working sometimes and not others. I'll post back if I hear any more from the mods next week.

Advertisement