Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* French (HL) predictions / discussion * (1 thread only please)

Options
  • 11-06-2011 10:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

Ok after the last few days im slightly freaked...nothing at all seemed to go my way apart from english paper 2!! and french being my weakest subject...im completly dreading it..i have all the major topics learned

-racism
    -recession
    -sports
    -olympics
    -enviroment

im just wondering what is everyone else doing fro the exam?
    im expecting a major fail :( just want a bit of reassurnce that ill be safe enough with these? :confused:

thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭LittleMissLost

Holly91 wrote: »
    Ok after the last few days im slightly freaked...nothing at all seemed to go my way apart from english paper 2!! and french being my weakest subject...im completly dreading it..i have all the major topics learned

-racism
    -recession
    -sports
    -olympics
    -enviroment

im just wondering what is everyone else doing fro the exam?
    im expecting a major fail :( just want a bit of reassurnce that ill be safe enough with these? :confused:

thanks in advance :)

You seem to have a wide range of topics covered and I'm sure you know more than you think you do! Just relax on the day, the timing isn't TOO stressful so make sure all your grammar etc is right and you'll be fine. Good luck! I'm sort of dreading it too :/

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Holly91

thanks! :D
    what are you thinking could come up?
    our teacher is thinking olympics could come up this year! and maybe terrism..but i think thats all going to be on it next yr :/
    ino im just so bad at languages tbh...and my mocks went horrible in french!just about passed it like...hoping to do a little bit better tho!
    Best of luck to you too :)
    hope the paper is nice for everyone like ;)

To be honest I haven't a clue what could come up! If you look back through the papers theres such a broad range of topics, you just need to be able to adapt to everything really.

I'm not too bad at French so I'm hoping the vocab I have already will do me.. Hopefully! :eek:

Rememeber to spend time on the comprehensions! Those two are worth more than the 3 production ecrites together, kinda crazy, but I hope we'll understand the comprehensions :P

I got a B2 in the mock and would loove an A2 but would be hoppy with a B1 :)

I'm sure you'll do really well anyway :D

Oh p.s nice name ;)

Ino thats what im dreading the most!! they could give us the most horrible topics..!:(
    and after the disaster of home ec im expecting the worst with the rest of my exams! :mad:
    im sure you'll do great in it :) especially if you got that in the mocks :p
    i'm just hoping my oral will help my grade in the end :)
    ya it is mad how they are worth the most like! sometimes the last part in them cna be tough tho :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

I'm going to concentrate on tape, and have some essay topics prepared. That'll do for me, as I had a decent oral. I'm probably not counting it, but if I get a b, I'll be very happy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭guitarzero

Anyone remember 'Le Document'? Its part of the oral. The best thing was you memorized about 5 mins of french BS and just regurgitated it with no interuption. I'm sure this was what saved me.

Le meuilluer chose est apprendre chaque mots en francais est vous serez bien, bon chance est ne panique paz:pac:

Thanks all :D

just wish French could be a little bit more predictable with what could come up :(

completely freaking out over it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭MarkTheBaby

Just gonna throw myself into it after Irish Paper 2. I haven't studied french since the Oral but my oral went fairly well so I'm just gonna wing it! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 applehead1993

Hey!
    Ok so i kind of neglected french for a while to focus on subjects i was struggling with and now i'm struggling with french.

does anyone have any helpful phrases for emails , journal entries and letters!

thanks!

Just gonna throw myself into it after Irish Paper 2. I haven't studied french since the Oral but my oral went fairly well so I'm just gonna wing it! :P

im the same really tbh :p hoping luck will be on my side weds morning :D
    you're probably good at french tho?:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭MarkTheBaby

Holly91 wrote: »
    im the same really tbh :p hoping luck will be on my side weds morning :D
    you're probably good at french tho?:rolleyes:

I'm actually not that good! :P

I was worst in the year for the Halloween tests and was moved into a pass class, I'm doing honours now and I got a few grinds for the oral, that turned out really well. Gonna hope for a B but I'll probably get a C. :D

I'm actually not that good! :P

I was worst in the year for the Halloween tests and was moved into a pass class, I'm doing honours now and I got a few grinds for the oral, that turned out really well. Gonna hope for a B but I'll probably get a C. :D

haha i was 2nd worst in my class for the mocks :p

nothing to be proud of tho but i feel your pain!

aww well best of luck with it :) i thought my oral went well too,bagging on that to bring up my grade :D

i just hate all languages tbh :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 20 casperkiid

http://www.francais.ie/leaving_cert/writing/diary_entries/
    I found out about this site only yesterday by someone on this and it's already helped me loads regarding diary entries. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭biggaman

I actually have never studied French. I'm only doing it to open up college options. Taking the higher paper, got a C3 in the mocks, somehow. I don't even know the present tense fully tbh, I was just wondering, do you think it'd be better to cram phrases from different topics or actually learn a few important tenses the night before? That's the only time I plan on studying for it..
    Cheers :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LC2010HIS

Would it be ok to just do:

- Journal Vocab
    - Topics : Economy, Facebook, Alcohol, My hopes for the future?

Very stuck for time as Wednesday and thursday, I have 4 exams :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 49 paperplane93

LC2010HIS wrote: »
    Would it be ok to just do:

- Journal Vocab
    - Topics : Economy, Facebook, Alcohol, My hopes for the future?

Very stuck for time as Wednesday and thursday, I have 4 exams :eek:

Hey, can I ask what you prepared on Facebook ? We didn't anything on that at all :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LC2010HIS

Hey, can I ask what you prepared on Facebook ? We didn't anything on that at all :o

I prepared that myself by saying how its a recent trend with irish people. But theres more disadvantages than advantages.
    I listed advantages first saying I can keep in contact with friends
    Disadvantages - privacy issues, bullying, addictive, young kids

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Farmer poet

I'm learning sport, internet, drugs/alcohol, 3rd world, climate change... Got 55 in the mocks but did a good oral so hoping for a B..

Bonne chance a tout le monde!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Rudiger7

I heard from a very reliable source that since France apparently came first in the 2011 Men's World Handball Championship that there will definitely be a comprehension on this. So get cracking on learning your handball related vocabulary.

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭NotExactly

Rudiger7 wrote: »
    I heard from a very reliable source that since France apparently came first in the 2011 Men's World Handball Championship that there will definitely be a comprehension on this. So get cracking on learning your handball related vocabulary.

Any where I can get this vocab? What kind of words should I look over? & there is no way it's definitely a comprehension on Handball unless your reliable source has seen the paper.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭Gavarn

So, I have to sit higher level french tomorrow at 09:30. I have done nothing and I don't know where to start.

I managed to look over the 5 tenses this morning for avoir, etre and aller. But I have no idea where to go from there this late in the game! :confused:

Any pointers as to what to study would be brilliant..

Gavarn wrote: »
    So, I have to sit higher level french tomorrow at 09:30. I have done nothing and I don't know where to start.

I managed to look over the 5 tenses this morning for avoir, etre and aller. But I have no idea where to go from there this late in the game! :confused:

Any pointers as to what to study would be brilliant..

Hmm.. the thing about French is it's not exactly a subject you can "cram" for per-se.

In the exam everything you've learned in the last 5/6 years is supposed to come together but in reality it's not that.

Just remember the comprehensions are worth more than the oral!

Have you got any diary/opinion phrases you can be having a look at?

There is no point trying to cram your head with new vocab at this stage, in my opinion it is best to stick to what you know. Use simple but correct French and you will get good marks. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭biggaman

+1.
    I'm the same, although I have no knowledge of any tense for any verb really.
    I;m thinking of just learning off around 7/8 phrases for 5/6 topics and let that be it? I'll get around 48 or so in both comprehensions, so really a bare pass in the writing section would do for me!
    Are you just looking for the same yeah?: )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭PurpleVintage

Exactly the same =\ Yesterday I wrote up an answer for the topic on racism. Does anyone know what topics are on the course? I don't mean "this might come up" I meant he topics that we're actually told to learn off because 2 of them will come up.

Exactly the same =\ Yesterday I wrote up an answer for the topic on racism. Does anyone know what topics are on the course? I don't mean "this might come up" I meant he topics that we're actually told to learn off because 2 of them will come up.

there are none. It's a language.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

If you learn your opinion phrases, you can slip through any topic with a bit of luck and intuition.

I do have a list of phrases that I can use for the Journal Intime, I do know a few of them already, simple ones. Nothing that would stand out though.

I got a C3 in my mocks, I had studied for one question (on alcohol) that came up. Apart from that I had nothing done.

I would be happy with a C2 or C1.

I don't think I can do much more that learn a few phrases for each topic, whether they stay in my head is another thing altogether..

Thanks for the advice :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭Oenone

Rudiger7 wrote: »

Oh God another boring comprehension :(

The Irish Mary Robinson was bad enough... but Handball *facepalm*

So I just went through all the papers from 2000 - 2010... Alcohol hasn't came up at all. It seems sport, politics, school, environment are the reoccurring topics.

I don't understand, is there a set list of topics that can come up or is it just whatever they feel like?

I don't like not being able to have a list of topics to look over, I feel the only thing I can do is learn stuff like "Je pense que" and "A mon avis" etc etc..

:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭magicianz

Gavarn wrote: »
    So I just went through all the papers from 2000 - 2010... Alcohol hasn't came up at all. It seems sport, politics, school, environment are the reoccurring topics.

I don't understand, is there a set list of topics that can come up or is it just whatever they feel like?

I don't like not being able to have a list of topics to look over, I feel the only thing I can do is learn stuff like "Je pense que" and "A mon avis" etc etc..

:confused:

Then learn them :P You'd be surprise how much of an essay can be pre-written!
    You can learn phrases and sentences that can be slipped into a good few opinion pieces like "Everybody is aware of the extent of this problem but..." and go from there! Or "This problem is becoming more widespread than ever" Get a pile of them and just choose wisely what to use in the exam =]

On the written questions, its possible to do 3 opinion pieces right? Q1,3 and 4 have em right? :o

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement