Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coleman At Large

Options
  • 11-06-2011 10:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Is it just me or does anybody else find Marc Coleman one of the worst radio presenters of all time.

He actually does have some decent guest on his show and when they are allowed to talk the debates are fairly decent but as soon as coleman opens his mouth it just turns into a right wing rant about either the public sector or sinn fein or labour or trade unions. He constantly interupts his guests and seems to be forever snorting or slobbering down the mike, now maybe he's sick or something which would be understandable but you can't account for the night noises he makes on the show.

Granted now I only listen to the show once a week but everytime I do he seems to be using the show just to voice his views and his views only are allowed. Anybody else seems to be shouted down or cut short.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

He has always had this hacking cough type delivery, and yes despite being a quite freestate, free-market and libertarian sort myself his personal politics are pretty awful!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Oh don't get me started on this guy.:mad:

Okay do.
    But not right now. Its Saturday morning and I want to enjoy it without the blood pressure increase that his programme usually induces.

I'll probably be back here on Tuesday night.

In the meantime I have plenty of comments over on the Newstalk Megathread on this topic. They tally with a lot of what you say yourself here OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

newstalks 10pm slot used to be a staple for me back in the day but despite starting alright colemans gone RIGHT downhill to be practically a parody of itself.

the fact he needs that nutter bill tormey to make himself look sane just shows you that.

it now one of the few shows i actually CANT listen to forcing me into the arms of the late debate.

says a fecking lot considering up to recently that was presented by claire byrne.

theres just something of the "fox news" about it that turns me right off.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 garg

I was going to say the same thing he reminds me of Michael Graham and I wonder are Newstalk trying to have his show as a kind of two hour rant ala Kevin Myers or someone. But in truth I ended up switching the station.

They did have Shane Coleman in there for a while I think and what bits of the show I caught seemed decent enough. Mc I think was away or something but it didn't stop him recording an EDITORIAL piece! Which was played out the week of the queens visit, just in case anybody was missing him!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭macroboy

COUGH ...COUGH...as i was sayyyy yinnng...cough cough...
    the irish have...cough cough ...an infeeeeeerrrriorty complex..cough cough..
    take a cough cough break there please..

THE MAN IS AN NOTHING MORE THAT A NAPPY WITH A MOUTH.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24 thats interesting

Yeah it's a conservative show, with Bill Tormey being the very entertaining liberal sidekick. So what?

What the heck is wrong with a conservative show? Most other shows are liberal.

Typical liberal intolerance. "We want ALL liberal shows! Conservatives don't deserve a voice". How pathetic and selfish is that! I wouldn't expect anything less from "liberals".

Coleman at Large is a great show with a different perspective from all other shows.

Keep up the good work Marc!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭CoalBucket

Usually turn the radio off when off the ball finishes, best show on radio by a country mile

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

You mean you're not going to rush out and buy his book, published just as the ar$e fell out of the Irish economy :pac:

best-is-yet-come-marc-coleman-paperback-cover-art.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Yeah it's a conservative show, with Bill Tormey being the very entertaining liberal sidekick. So what?

What the heck is wrong with a conservative show? Most other shows are liberal.

Typical liberal intolerance. "We want ALL liberal shows! Conservatives don't deserve a voice". How pathetic and selfish is that! I wouldn't expect anything less from "liberals".

Coleman at Large is a great show with a different perspective from all other shows.

Keep up the good work Marc!

Its not the fact that he is conservative, he interupts, shouts over people, allows his guests to talk over each other so you can hear no body and snorts and coughs into the mic, he is useless as a presenter before you even get into his conservative rantings.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Feck.

I just tuned in for tonights programme and forgot it started at 9 tonight. :(

• Advertisement

ive no problem with a conservative show.

hell half of irish broadcasting is more conservative than the presenters would like you to know.

its the fact he's so fecking obnoxious that does my head in.

He frequenly goes off on polemics and theres a whole unsavory arrogant vibe to the show. i honestly couldnt tell you if he actually believes what he says or is just going off on one for the sake of it.

its just not professional IMO and i expect more from irish radio.

i can honestly hand on heart say ive never heard anything like it on the pirate radio stations back in the day and they were ran by nutters. :)

i presume SOMEONE is listening as he's still on air, so theres an audience for it.

im just not it anymore which i find kinda sad as i used to be a newstalk junkie when it first came out.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

macroboy wrote: »
    COUGH ...COUGH...as i was sayyyy yinnng...cough cough...
    the irish have...cough cough ...an infeeeeeerrrriorty complex..cough cough..
    take a cough cough break there please..

That's him exactly. I had the "pleasure" of listening to him for the last few nights - never again if I can help it. :mad:

Why is he now on at 9?? Is it because the football show is off for the summer?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

Kojak wrote: »
    That's him exactly. I had the "pleasure" of listening to him for the last few nights - never again if I can help it. :mad:

A big pal of DOB, I reckon, given that he's the only station member who's been allowed to deliver "EDITORIALS!!!".

Sounds like the sort of chap who likes hiking in the forests, with um-pah tunes rattling in his ears.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Rubik.

Kojak wrote: »

Yeah, until the 8th of July.

im actually conflicted about that one.

on the one had i cant stand sport and im glad to see the back of it for a while.

on the other its coleman !

jaysus newstalk why couldnt you just slap in some newbie to do something experimental. its only a couple of week and it not like theres not loads of peopl out there that'd love the break.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭youcrazyjesus!

Read Coleman's Twitter page. I'll leave people to make their own judgement of the man's faculties based on that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

Read Coleman's Twitter page. I'll leave people to make their own judgement of the man's faculties based on that.

John Creedon - a unionist plant in the heart of RTE? Seems reasonable to me :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Rubik.

colemanatlarge

@LennyLovet Cough is something I've had since 16. Hasn't stopped our listenership quadrupling since last summer. Now 94% RTE listenership>

Is @colemanatlarge his only twitter account, or does he have another one? This one seems to be reasonably sane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

Rubik. wrote: »
    colemanatlarge

@LennyLovet Cough is something I've had since 16. Hasn't stopped our listenership quadrupling since last summer. Now 94% RTE listenership>

Is @colemanatlarge his only twitter account, or does he have another one? This one seems to be reasonably sane.

Try @MarcPColeman - he's currently engaged in an ongoing feud with Brian Lucey,amongst others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

I don't normally listen to him but had Newstalk on tonite. How long has this guy worked on Radio? :eek: The guys that use to present St Ita's Hospital Radio did a better job. He kept mixing up his guests names, introducing the wrong clips, hadn't got a clue what he was talking about and seems to want to tell his guests and listeners his views rather than listen to them. Is he suppose to be the Rush Limbaugh of Irish radio?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 mbyrne100

All of the comments about Marc are valid. I found myself listening in as I travelled in the car over the last few weeks.... he has some very intelligent and interesting guests but they never get to contribute,,,,, it is all soundbite journalism with nothing debated through..... it appeared that March spoke more than the guests ... so I recorded and timed it... marc spoke and ranted for 80% of the time I measured.... that isnt journalism!!!! Dont even mention the persistent cough but that appears to be a problem for years... it doesnt sound professional

• Registered Users Posts: 8,741 ✭✭✭withless

This is a Catholic country.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 mbyrne100

Thanks be to God!... but religion is nothing to do with good or bad journalism

Have you listened to His show? To say it was pro-Catholic would be like saying the KKK is anti Jew. Thats the show though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭heybaby

Corsendonk wrote: »
    I don't normally listen to him but had Newstalk on tonite. How long has this guy worked on Radio? :eek: The guys that use to present St Ita's Hospital Radio did a better job. He kept mixing up his guests names, introducing the wrong clips, hadn't got a clue what he was talking about and seems to want to tell his guests and listeners his views rather than listen to them. Is he suppose to be the Rush Limbaugh of Irish radio?

As far as I know St Ita's is still on air and I'd say they'd be offended at the implied slur.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,326 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

withless wrote: »
    Have you listened to His show? To say it was pro-Catholic would be like saying the KKK is anti Jew. Thats the show though.

I don't mind that at all but he's an idiot. Re the Savita case he actually argued: Women are still dying of sepsis in the UK even though they have liberal abortion, ergo Irish law couldn't have been in any way responsible for her death.

headdesk.jpg

This is a Catholic country.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

I like that his show exists because it is a conservative island in the liberal sea of Irish broadcasting.
    However, the awful snorting slobbering snoring coughing sounds which constantly pour out of coleman are pretty off putting and disgusting and make the man totally unsuitable for radio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

I think Coleman is good, probably the best on Irish radio, but agree about his coughing/snorting.

• Advertisement
Advertisement