Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Geography - Did I get an A?

• 11-06-2011 11:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

Ok, so the geography paper wasn't too bad but I never got it finished!

I left out a 30m Q on the regional.

I don't think I got FULL MARKS in everything else but I gave it a good shot.

Just wondering in relation to FIELDWORK... How hard is it marked?
    Do many people get full marks in it?

I did put a lot of effort into it hopefully I'll get my full 20%?

Let me know what you think! :rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭polka dot

It is VERY hard (apparently, don't quote me on it) to get an A in geography. I think fieldwork is marked fairly.

The paper I have no idea. You'll have to see what the marking scheme is like and whether it's marked easier/harder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 519 ✭✭✭flyaway.

Our teacher said it's not that hard to get the full 20% if you've put the work in and handed up a decent project. Hopefully you'll get the 20 or at least close!

No idea about the papers. It's going to depend on how well everyone else did and how they make out the marking scheme. As are not easy to come by though, in any subject. 30 marks is a lot to miss out on so just hope you picked the marks up other places.

Just put it out of your mind! There's nothing you can do about it and you'll just have to wait and see in August!

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Mr.BA

They mark a lot harder than people think.
    I remember for mine in 2008, I originally got 90 Marks in the field study but because our year did so well in geography the had to lower the marks of some students. So my 90 marks went down to 78 Marks. Was the difference of either going to Maynooth or UCD for me.
    Went to UCD in the end, delighted I missed Maynooth.
    It is really unfair.

One school in Offally has a record of getting over 70 or 80% A's but every year they get supervised to see does the teacher actually do the project for them. Its just because Geography is one of the easier subjects for the Leaving, they just mark it harder.

But don't worry about it. I say you did better than you're giving yourself credit for. My grinds students were the same. And i literally went through everything they did on the exam yesterday and told them the least amount of marks they should get and a lot of them should get at C1's or B3's.
    Unless you had everything else spot on correct, don't expect an A. But a B of some sort would be good going :)

All the best in the rest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 318 ✭✭The___________

polka dot wrote: »
    It is VERY hard (apparently, don't quote me on it) to get an A in geography. I think fieldwork is marked fairly.

The paper I have no idea. You'll have to see what the marking scheme is like and whether it's marked easier/harder.

Our teacher told us last year that is was 'nearly impossible' to get an A1 in geography but then 4 people in the class did!.

In my experience with Geography from last year it's marked fairly easily, going from how much information our teacher told us you you needed to provide to get 30 marks and what the examiners looked for to get 30 marks was a HUGE difference, a page of well written material was enough for my examiner to give 30 marks and as I was aiming to write 1.5-2 pages for every 30 marker as per my teacher's instructions I got over 30/30 in a number of questions and ended up with 97% overall.

As long as you put a good amount of effort into your fieldwork you should get 90+ marks easily they're not too punitive with its marking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Sineadlc

Sm4shbox wrote: »
    Ok, so the geography paper wasn't too bad but I never got it finished!

I left out a 30m Q on the regional.

I don't think I got FULL MARKS in everything else but I gave it a good shot.

Just wondering in relation to FIELDWORK... How hard is it marked?
    Do many people get full marks in it?
    I did put a lot of effort into it hopefully I'll get my full 20%?

Let me know what you think! :rolleyes:

Im a repeat leaving cert and I got my papers back last year. I ended up getting a B1 in geo last year and I got 96% in my field work. Two of my friends even got 100%. It wasnt that hard 2 get. I also got 0 marks in one of my 30 marks questions and I only got like 47 out o 80 in my geoecology question. So if u don't end up with an A u more than likely will get B.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭lisabisa

With the field work you're more likely to get the full marks once you wrote it in your own words and made it different than everyone elses in your class. I got full marks in it last year but many of my class mates didn't beause they barely changed anything from the notes we were given:)

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Sm4shbox

lisabisa wrote: »
    With the field work you're more likely to get the full marks once you wrote it in your own words and made it different than everyone elses in your class. I got full marks in it last year but many of my class mates didn't beause they barely changed anything from the notes we were given:)

Mine is very different to everybody else in my class. The teacher basically told them what to write and they did it... I spent an extra 4 hours writing mine up. I did it in a more logical way I thought. Hopefully it's right though. I took a risk by being different... LET'S HOPE IT PAYS OFF :)

I would honestly be delighted with an A2. Doubt I'd get an A1 anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭PurpleVintage

From what I hear, it's easy to get around 15% on your field study.. not sure about full marks though.

Well I definitely wont be getting any As. I'm absolutely gutted, even broke down after the exam. I needed at LEAST an extra hour to finish the exam. Left with 5 minutes to do the soil question (damn it was so easy x.x), and left out at least 2 questions of 30 marks each, + couldn't finish my other question just to try and write a paragraph on soils.
    Do you think i'd still pass? I'm sure I did very well on the ones I did answer... but I just didnt have any time whatsoever to get the last few questions done :(.
    The worst thing is, I knew all the questions (except 1 of the 30 marks.. would have had to bluff). If I didnt know them, I wouldnt be upset over it. But I bloody did :( honest. The soil question would have been a guaranteed 65+ marks on it, as I knew it as well as the back of my hand.
    Anyone else had major problems with their timing?...

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭LittleMissLost

From what I hear, it's easy to get around 15% on your field study.. not sure about full marks though.

Well I definitely wont be getting any As. I'm absolutely gutted, even broke down after the exam. I needed at LEAST an extra hour to finish the exam. Left with 5 minutes to do the soil question (damn it was so easy x.x), and left out at least 2 questions of 30 marks each, + couldn't finish my other question just to try and write a paragraph on soils.
    Do you think i'd still pass? I'm sure I did very well on the ones I did answer... but I just didnt have any time whatsoever to get the last few questions done :(.
    The worst thing is, I knew all the questions (except 1 of the 30 marks.. would have had to bluff). If I didnt know them, I wouldnt be upset over it. But I bloody did :( honest. The soil question would have been a guaranteed 65+ marks on it, as I knew it as well as the back of my hand.
    Anyone else had major problems with their timing?...

Of COURSE you'll pass. It's pretty hard to fail to be honest :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

One of the geography classes in my school the teacher wrote up what they had to write for the fieldwork . So the whole class has the same project word for word. Even though you're not supposed to.
    My class all did their own and the teacher corrected it. I think my project was quite good , I put so much effort and started it in like october. I hope I got full marks or near enough to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭chicgroovy101

By leaving out a 30mark Q you literally can only lose 10marks in your entire paper to get an A1 (360/400).
    So it's not impossible but everything would have to be answered almost perfectly!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

it is hard to fail.

it works like this

400 marks for the test
    100 marks for the fieldwork

so its easy to pass, but hard to do well in.
    if you just did your chosen qustion (80 marks) and short qustions (80 marks) you should pass if your fieldwork is good.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement