Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can anyone identify this person?

Options
  • 11-06-2011 11:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭

Hi,

Was recently in a house with a paiting of what we believe is an old Irishman with some historical links? But not sure, I dont even know if thi is the correct thread, anyway im sure the mods will point ime in the directon as needed. Can anyone tell me who this is?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40 mise23

Daniel O'Connell ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I'd say O'Connell too

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Looks like it might be a young O'Connell but I'm not certain.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Louise_M1990

I agree with Duffy, it does look like a young O'Connell. Do a quick search and compare the pics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

ucc.2.jpg

daniel_o_connell.jpg

A few O'Connel pics - does it really look like him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭premierlass

I'm pretty sure that's not O'Connell, but the fashion seems to point to his era. I don't think it looks like any of the Young Irelanders I can think of, or Sadlier or Keogh for that matter. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21 iasscarra

That is O' Connell and I have seen this print before although I have not seen the painting...............I must research that.

young_irelanders1.gif

Could it be earlier as the collar style on the coat collar is less modern than the YI's

Look at Lord Edward Fitzgerald 1798

lord-edward-fitzgerald-1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭Doozie

MotteDai wrote: »
    Hi,

Was recently in a house with a paiting of what we believe is an old Irishman with some historical links? But not sure, I dont even know if thi is the correct thread, anyway im sure the mods will point ime in the directon as needed. Can anyone tell me who this is?

You should check for any numbers or markings on the back of the canvas next time your there, might help point you in the right direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭JohnFalstaff

Might it be the poet and songwriter Thomas Moore?
    Shee500.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

DO'C never had sideboards that length.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Redr

Definitely not Daniel O'Connell. However I was browsing in the Crawford Art Gallery in town (that's Cork) recently (as one does!) and it looks like a painting I saw of Robert Emmet.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,646 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

My first thought was Lord Edward FitzGerald.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 588 ✭✭✭R.Dub.Fusilier

Redr wrote: »
    Definitely not Daniel O'Connell. However I was browsing in the Crawford Art Gallery in town (that's Cork) recently (as one does!) and it looks like a painting I saw of Robert Emmet.

as you say its not O'Connell but i don't think its Robert Emmet either.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭R0C

CDfm wrote: »
    ucc.2.jpg

This is a very interesting thread as I have spent a long time trying to work out who the man in the attached image is and I may now have my answer.

I found the attached image amongst my great grandfather's collection of pictures, and was figuring by the clothing that it was a very old print [circa late 1700s], but no-one I showed it to could put a name to the face.

Would others agree that my picture appears to be O'Connell?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

pinkypinky wrote: »
    My first thought was Lord Edward FitzGerald.
    Don't think he had sideboards that length either. Maybe he was on holiday though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭VW 1

Dont think it is O'Connell or Emmet myself, I would be leaning towards Lord Edward Fitzgerald at first glance myself, a quick google leads me to believe there is a good chance

R0C wrote: »

I found the attached image amongst my great grandfather's collection of pictures, and was figuring by the clothing that it was a very old print [circa late 1700s], but no-one I showed it to could put a name to the face.

Would others agree that my picture appears to be O'Connell?

That appears to be Edward Fitzgerald

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭R0C

CDfm wrote: »
    That appears to be Edward Fitzgerald

Oh, actually I think you may be right, just googled and found this image which is very close to my one.

I found some very similar images of O'Connell also, but I think you're right with with Fitzgerald.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭DHYNZY

Definitely not O'Connell or Emmet, probably Fitzgerald.

• Advertisement

slowburner wrote: »
    Don't think he had sideboards that length either. Maybe he was on holiday though.

Should we call the original pic Elvis till we find a name ?

A little less conversation..........

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

Hi,

it appears to be some dude from the 18th century. anything else is mere speculation
    of course he has historical links, but whether or not he is famous is another matter. he could be from anywhere having being purchased at an auction or was he always in the present building.
    anyone with a bit of wealth could have commissioned a similar portrait.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭MotteDai

Fuinseog wrote: »
    it appears to be some dude from the 18th century. anything else is mere speculation
    of course he has historical links, but whether or not he is famous is another matter. he could be from anywhere having being purchased at an auction or was he always in the present building.
    anyone with a bit of wealth could have commissioned a similar portrait.

Sorry I was away for a while and havent been keeping in touch with my Boards posts. Thanks all for your feedback, your right of course it is meere speculation. I think theres a case for Emmet or O'Connell or perhaps he is as you say a rich person who was a follower of fashion set by the two. In the end we may never know. i couldnt check the picture for markings as wasnt my house and i was but a guest. The picture serves as a talking point where the owner points and creates a conversation along the lines "would you know who that is... picked it up at auction.. may never know... " etc etc..
    Still thanks for the observations i doubt ill ever answer it but how I would love too ;:rolleyes:

Do you know who the artist is as that might give a clue.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Opelfruit

Is it Eamonn O'Mumhan before he went all Hollywood?

Sorry I was away for a while and havent been keeping in touch with my Boards posts. Thanks all for your feedback, your right of course it is meere speculation. I think theres a case for Emmet or O'Connell or perhaps he is as you say a rich person who was a follower of fashion set by the two. In the end we may never know. i couldnt check the picture for markings as wasnt my house and i was but a guest. The picture serves as a talking point where the owner points and creates a conversation along the lines "would you know who that is... picked it up at auction.. may never know... " etc etc..
    Still thanks for the observations i doubt ill ever answer it but how I would love too ;:rolleyes:

Have you thought of asking the owner about markings and at what auction/location he picked it up at.

I can't imagine these paintings travelled far from their original location.

Advertisement