Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are there many of you applying for primary school teaching?

• 11-06-2011 12:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭

Just out of interest I was wondering are there many of you applying for primary teaching this year?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭xclw

I am, and i know a lot of people in my year are too, i'd say theres at least 25 people out of 130 have it as their first option and then theres others that have it as their 2nd or 3rd.

hope the points don't go too high :/ where you applying for 1st?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 519 ✭✭✭flyaway.

I'm not but it seems like the majority of the girls in my year have applied for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭hunii07

I hope the points don't go too high either.... out of 50 of us there is 3 of us looking for teaching

I'm applying to St.Pat's
    Marino
    Froebel

In that order,... what about you ?

• Advertisement

em well at the moment i have Pats, Mary I, Froebel and then Marino, when i'm done the exams i might switch them around though...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,232 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Do people applying for any sort of teaching course realise what the situation is out there, jobs-wise?

We haven't had a permanent person appointed in our school in about 8 years.
    All the newer teachers are on small amounts of part-time hours - and that's in a school with growing numbers.

spurious wrote: »
    Do people applying for any sort of teaching course realise what the situation is out there, jobs-wise?

All the newer teachers are on small amounts of part-time hours - and that's in a school with growing numbers.

Yes I do realise the state the country is in job-wise...but what job is there a demand for in this current climate? And there are other countries that recognise the Irish standard of education that ARE looking for teachers... so yes I know what I'm putting myself in for and too be honest I think teaching is one of the most fulfilling jobs out there... but that's just my opinion....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 TheRepeat

I am too :) There's about 5 or 6 going for it in my year.. Not fully sure though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 846 ✭✭✭TheFullDuck

@spurious can you do TEFL or something similar straight after you get your teaching degree? Make your CV more attractive? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,232 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

@spurious can you do TEFL or something similar straight after you get your teaching degree? Make your CV more attractive? :pac:

In terms of usefulness for a school, I suppose it's things like outdoor pursuits qualifications, first aid, special needs training, being able to take charge of the website, being used to using the likes of Moodle that are useful. That and the usual expectation schools have that you work for nothing taking school teams and groups out to matches/theatre/you name it in your own time.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭LittleMissLost

I am but I'm not sure if it's my 1st choice or not yet.. If it is my 1st choice will be

1) Teaching & Psychology Mary I
    2) Pats
    3) Froebel
    4) Marino

Haven't a clue what any of the colleges are like as I've never visited any of them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 plmokn

I am, but I'm the only person in my year applying to Pat's.. One other girl is going for the Protestant college. So worried about points! I have Pat's first, then Froebel, then Marino

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭coffeelover

I'm only in 5th year but there are a lot of leaving certs in my school applying for primary teaching but it seems to be the same every year. It seems to be very popular.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Bonkers_xOx

I don't think you should ever base your career choice on an economic climate. You could end up in a job you hate for the rest of your life. I'd rather fight to work in an area I'm passionate about.

I don't think you should ever base your career choice on an economic climate. You could end up in a job you hate for the rest of your life. I'd rather fight to work in an area I'm passionate about.

Exactly my point..... :)

Well, don't say nobody told you.

I was lucky and over twenty years ago only had to do the part time gig for two years but it is soul destroying. I see fine teachers working alongside me, still not on full hours after ten and twelve years teaching.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 lmwell

Well, don't say nobody told you.

I was lucky and over twenty years ago only had to do the part time gig for two years but it is soul destroying. I see fine teachers working alongside me, still not on full hours after ten and twelve years teaching.

Thats horrible to be so patronising. You do not know what way the climate will be in 3 or 4 years time. And besides, you could say that about most jobs in the country today - are you also discouraging people applying to jobs in nursing, banking, IT, landscaping?.. Yes, the climate is bad. Everyone is aware of that.

As the previous member said, your choice should be based on something youre passionate about , and not the economic climate. Who are you to say whether or not an individual will be capable of getting a permanent job?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

Could one of the LCers here tell me what is attracting them to teaching (primary in particular)? There seems to be a massive increase in interest in primary courses in the last year or two, with many saying they'll do XY or Z and then do the postgrad if they don't get an undergrad course.

Aside from the 'passion for teaching/ it's what I always wanted to do' reasons, what is motivating people towards it? I'm not being cynical, I'm doing the B.Ed with Psychology myself in Limerick currently, so I'm somebody who has made the decision myself.

As much as it pains me to say it, what Spurious says is right. The job situation's pretty dire, it's not being said to keep people out of the club, rather to make you aware of the situation. Unfortunately for a whole load of reasons I think employment is actually going to deteriorate, not get better within 3-4 years, but that's another story for another forum.

Advertisement