Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how to turn broadband into wireless??

Options
  • 11-06-2011 12:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 604 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone

I'm moving into an apartment that suppilies broadband but not wireless. I'll have a broadband wire connection in my room and basically just wondering is there anything I can do to turn this into wireless internet or is that complicated?

I have an old eircom netopia that I could use but I think thats a router and modem in one? I'm not that great with technology so basically wondering if this is easy or complicated or even possible?

cheers :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

Hi everyone

I'm moving into an apartment that suppilies broadband but not wireless. I'll have a broadband wire connection in my room and basically just wondering is there anything I can do to turn this into wireless internet or is that complicated?

I have an old eircom netopia that I could use but I think thats a router and modem in one? I'm not that great with technology so basically wondering if this is easy or complicated or even possible?

cheers :)

You will need a wifi router.
    Places to check for a good deal would be Komplett.ie, Amazon.com, Elara.ie etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭4Sheets

Yes as the above poster says bin the netopia and get wifi router for 30/40 quid and plug your cable into it.It will work by default but you will need to read up how to setup security or your neighbors could be enjoying the fruits of your labor.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

What isp is supplying the bb?

I was just wondering if there was already a router in the apartment block supplying the signal and the op adds another router could this cause problems?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

if the BB in the Building is going though a Router VIA Cables no Wifi, you just buy a Wifi Router plug the Cable into it, go into Settings of the Router and click on Bridge, the Router will now act as a Bridge, So the Router, will no give out its own Network IP and stop any problems.

BUT... if the BB is a Shared within the Buidling. Every Pc in the Building will be in the One Network Domain,Which means if you have any Files on Share, i could see them if you dont have it set up right, If the owner knows he/her Networking they would have set up a V-Lan Switch, Which Means, Only your PC will be in its own Domain and so would every one else, Stop people from hacking into your Computer within the one BB.

Advertisement