Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking to move to Dublin!!

Options
  • 11-06-2011 1:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭

Right, I know there must be loads of threads like this, but It'd be appreciated if you took a few seconds to read and any helpful replies would be greatful :)

I'm in my mid 20's and live in the Uk and tbh going absolutely nowhere with my life. I go to the same low paid job mon-fri every week and the every weekend doing the same things with the same people since I was 16. Basically i'm in a huge rut/circle!!

I'm thinking about breaking free from this and moving to Dublin. Just a start completely.

I haven't just chosen Dublin randomly, I have a brother who lives there so I have been there many times and love the place. Although I wouldn't really want to rely on him at all. I'd be looking for a flat share (hopefully about 400-450 p/m) and in the city centre.

I have worked in construction all my working life here (with the odd bar work, although bar work here is a lot easier than Ireland) but not necessarily looking for construction work. #Deadinthewateranyway

What i'm posting for is....

1, Does anyone think of any reason why I should totallly NOT do this??
    2, Do you think I would have any luck applying on-line, or do you think I should move first?
    3, Would a job be that heard to come by. I would take anything to get my foot in the door. As I only have myself to support

Any other advice would be greatly appreciated..

Many Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Janneke

Hey, to be honest Dublin isn't a great place to come for a fresh start at the moment. Most Irish people in their twenties are looking at emigrating (myself included). The rate of unemployment is really high, and there are so many people who used to work in construction looking for jobs in any industry now that you might be better to get some training in an area that you are interested in and make your start from there.

I don't want to be pessimistic or negative, but the situation here is really depressing for young people who just want a break to get their career going. All we seem to talk about is how we want to escape...

So my advice is... RUN! While you still can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

For the flat share you'd be OK at that price. In the end you'd find something reasonable. Jobs would be the issue, and i'd say if you're serious you would need to be here.

Could you stay with your bro' for a few weeks, see how the job market is looking for you. Things are far from perfect, but if you really want to be here then welcome aboard ; ) Just a shame the construction industry has totally tanked, there really are no jobs in that area.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭sharpey85

Thanks guys,, I am looking to save a little bit first. Maybe 1500-2k so i do have a little bit of lee way and a little bit of time on my side. Because I know i'd be very very fortunate to get a job in Dublin from here in the UK.

As I say i'm not really bothered about construction. That is really just part of the rut i'm in. I'd be willing to get a job anywhere. Subway, bar jobs, Hotels anything.

I can also see why people are trying to get out. I say working in contruction is part of the rut. But tbf I've only been working 6 years and for 3 and a half of them we've been in a recession so i'm lucky to have had work. but people looking to leave. Where would you go??

Most people seem to be hitting London, Canada, Australia or New Zealand, mainly because they're English speaking. If you have another language though, you'd have way more choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭30Min

My partner is moving from NZ to Ireland.

We have found lots of jobs online in bars, restaurants, cleaning. Are these really hard to get too ?

I've been away since 2008 and before I left- everyone was still living the dream so sorry if what Im asking sounds stupid. I just don't know the situation.

• Advertisement

Well some people are finding it hard to even get waitressing jobs these days. The kind of jobs you would have done when you were in secondary school - as a first job. Now the employers are looking for more experience.

I'm sure these jobs are easier to get than more highly skilled jobs, but I think the issue is whether it's the area you want to stay in. Hard as it is even to get straightforward waitressing/bar/cleaning jobs, it's really hard to get a break in other areas.

I know graduates with "sensible" degrees and a few years experience working in Ireland who have moved to Oz, gotten great jobs and said that they would never get the same opportunities here.

Personally, I've found it hard to even get a crap job, and it is pretty depressing being rejected from jobs that you are beyond capable of, and did when you were a teenager.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭30Min

Thanks for the info

Thats exactly what I was trying to find out. Can't believe thats the way things are (well I can believe, but you know what I mean).

It sounds unrecognizable from before I left. :(

Yeah, 2008 - sounds like you got out just in time! I remember that winter being in constant shock at how quickly things went downhill. The city centre feels like the eighties again.

Advertisement