Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most difficult optional subject (Honours)

• 11-06-2011 1:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

Most difficult optional subject (Honours)

Most difficult subject (Honours) 185 votes

Home Economics
    0% 0 votes
    Geography
    2% 4 votes
    Business
    2% 5 votes
    History
    4% 9 votes
    Physics
    22% 42 votes
    Biology
    23% 43 votes
    Art
    3% 7 votes
    Engineering
    3% 6 votes
    D.C.G (Design and Communication Graphics)
    0% 0 votes
    Chemistry
    8% 15 votes
    French
    18% 35 votes
    Construction Studies
    8% 16 votes
    Music
    0% 1 vote
    Accounting
    1% 2 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

?

Edit: Ah there's a poll. My mistake. I'd say Art would be one of the more difficult subjects due to the subjectivity of the marking. For more technical subjects, i'd say Chemistry. It's not a subject that you can coast through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 334 ✭✭._.

Chemistry is definitely up there.. It all only came together for me at the end of this year. I hear physics is pretty hard too.. and applied maths.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

Isn't History just a lot of learning? Sure, some flair for English counts towards it, but is that not it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

It all truly depends on the individual, and the workload you put into the respective subjects. However, i've just completed 5th year and have done a lot of work this year, although I have invested a lot of time in French, it still manages to fu** me over in the listening tests, I truly can't comprehend it. And worst of all no matter how much you learn there is always something you can't understand, whether it be an oral/comprehension/tape question! Very frustrating! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Framble

Of the subjects I do, history... of all the others I'd say it's only Physics and Chemistry that are up there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 Student2

Out of the subjects I do, History.. Just due to the mountain of information you have to know and the physical exhaustion of writing all those essays.. suprisingly, Physics is my easiest subject :)

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭xclw

religion is a very hard subject because we get no choice on the paper and are expected to write 2-3 page essays on things that are only a paragraph in the book..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭lisabisa

Out of my subjects I'd say business, purely because I hate it. It'd be well easier for someone with a I interest:) however over all I'd say chemistry or physics but then again depends on how much you personally like it. I know one guy who got an a2 in honours physics and failed geography so it really depends on the person:)

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭conormccarthy92

ye you left applied maths out of the poll .....
    i do applied maths physics and chem and i reckon applied maths is a fair bit tougher than either of the other two . saying that , its still my favourite of the three tho :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Chemistry is brutal if you don't 'get' the concepts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭TiGeR KiNgS

why is geography even an option ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 181 ✭✭ChristinaIndigo

History for sure....

what I'd give to have chosen differently... :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 salbal

physics is so easy, dont do history but it looks bad

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Fbjm

Who the heck chose music?? I saw an official rating somewhere once and music was the second easiest subject in the whole lc, just behind ancient Greek! So it's the easiest mainstream subject on the leaving cert.

EXAMPLES: A few years ago, 3/4 of my old teacher's students got As in their leaving.

In the year of my leaving, most of us got B1s. Lowest was a C3.

I got a B1, without opening a book.

Chemistry is nigh on impossible though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

I agree with music. Still though, it's only easy if you're generally a musical person!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Ezkimosrawk

Chemistry.
    Although I really have to say, it completely depends on the teacher.
    Our chemistry teacher had us underline the entire book.
    A class of 26 higher fell to 4 higher, 19 ordinary.
    15 of those ordinary guys are failing. Badly. =\

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,864 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Ah come on, engineering isn't that easy, the questions are unoriginal alright but the practical side can be tricky.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭iLikePiano99

Fbjm wrote: »
    Who the heck chose music?? I saw an official rating somewhere once and music was the second easiest subject in the whole lc, just behind ancient Greek! So it's the easiest mainstream subject on the leaving cert.

EXAMPLES: A few years ago, 3/4 of my old teacher's students got As in their leaving.

In the year of my leaving, most of us got B1s. Lowest was a C3.

I got a B1, without opening a book.

Chemistry is nigh on impossible though.

It all really depends on the person. Music requires some natural talent for it as well since the practical is worth 50%! The reason so many people do well in music is because the vast majority of them either did music outside of school such as piano or guitar OR they just have a natural flare for the subject. Music may be easy for you or me but for another student music may be the hardest subject as many of my classmates discovered during the Junior Cert. They have now vowed to NEVER do music again for the LC.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭pockets3d

Out of the subjects i do definitely Chemsitry but that's mostly my fault because i spent the first year of the course dossing and then we got a new teacher this year and I've been barely attempting to pass it.

If you don't get some of the concepts of it the rest of the course is impossible.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

economics deserves to be up there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭Daniel S

Where's maths, english, and german?

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭polka dot

mtb_kng wrote: »
    Where's maths, english, and german?

Maths isn't optional! Was wondering where Spanish was as well though.

Out of my subjects (Spanish, Geography, History, Biology) I said history, purely because there is so much to learn and so little time to write a 4 page essay in the exam.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 774 ✭✭✭stealinhorses

According to this poll, I do the three hardest subjects :pac:

Physics and chemistry are grand, once you've worked on them a bit yourself and understood the main concepts.

History is a bitch. Too much to write in 170 minutes, too much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Salty

Surprised nobody has mentioned home-ec. It is far from the doddle everyone seems to think it is. It's ridiculously broad, impossible to retain, and the exam...too much to write in so short a time. The reason I'm not going to be doing what I really wanted in September.:mad:

Music is not as easy as everyone thinks either. Learning the works is hellish...and they're only worth 12.5%! The composing paper is impossible if you haven't worked for it, not the kind of thing you could expect to just walk into the exam without previous practise and do well in. However, if you've any cop on, and do a really decent practical, then there is no reason why you shouldn't get a B. A flare for music is essential to do really well in this subject.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 814 ✭✭✭NotExactly

Ah come on, engineering isn't that easy, the questions are unoriginal alright but the practical side can be tricky.

I think so little selected it because so little do the subject. I'd say it would be the same case for Technology.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 814 ✭✭✭NotExactly

BOHtox wrote: »
    economics deserves to be up there

IMO Economics is handy enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭teacher30

I'm a French teacher - i completely understand what you're saying, if it's any consolation! We've been fighting the NCCA to change the syllabus but it falls on deaf ears. Anyway, i hear you!! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Physics by a distance, for me.

I do history but I think that's grand. Physics has a lot of learning too, definitions and stuff and although the maths part is grand in general, sometimes there are very tricky questions.

I don't do chemistry but of the people who do it in my class- a third of them regularly get As and got A2s in the mock. None of them got below a C and their teacher is supposed to be bad.

So I'd definitely say physics.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭ClaireMarie

Fireball07 wrote: »

I don't do chemistry but of the people who do it in my class- a third of them regularly get As and got A2s in the mock. None of them got below a C and their teacher is supposed to be bad.

I really think chemistry is just for certain people. Personally, I love it and there's about five of us in the class who do and continually get As. The ones who don't warm to it find it extremely difficult!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭martyllia

for me geo,just anything i'm studying doesn't stay in my head for longer than 2 days! and our teacher is a joke! well was...
    i'm doing history and the thing for history is that you have to like it,otherwise it's hard to study it.
    art history is the worst course ever! so much to study for only 37.5%
    but if you learn it ,it's easy to get good grade in it! i did nothing for the whole 2 years,just crammed one evenin before the mock and got b3!

Advertisement