Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PhD vs Job

Options
  • 11-06-2011 2:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 564 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys.

Bit of a tricky situation here where I have no idea really what to do. I'm just completing my Masters Thesis in Computer Science (well starting actually). I have been offered a fully funded PhD with DERI in Galway and also I have been offered a 5 year job in Munich working as a database and CRM consultant with a company called Riverland Reply. Starting Salary is 42k. Now I've lived in Munich before and would love to go back there. On the other hand I've always thought about doing a PhD. What are the possible implications of both!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

It depends on what you want to do.

Do you want to stay in industry or go into academia?

I have made the switch from industry (IT) to academia, and I will hopefully be starting a doctorate in September. I don't think a PhD would improve your job prospects, unless you got into the research arm of a company.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭swordofislam

If you like the idea of living in Germany a doctorate will massively improve your prospects there.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Surion

Would totally recommend job unless working in research field. There is a cut-off point IMHO were education & experience diverge, with latter paying a much bigger dividend (not just lucrative), most especially in 'industry'.

In interviewing at junior and mid-level positions I've seen highly academic applicants, with little applicable abilities. Kinda caught in catch 22. Unless I was specifically seeking a 'high knowledge base' - which of course there are many such fields seeking to fill roles.

Experience pays more. Bottom line for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I remember when I started lecturing a few years back, a senior lecturer said to me that you would never become rich in this job.

Having worked in industry, I see the big money that can be made, especially in the field I worked in.

However, personally, I much prefer academia in terms of quality of life.

These are the things you need to think about.

Advertisement