Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Returning a PC Game

• 11-06-2011 2:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭

Bought The Sims 3 from Gamestop yesterday (Friday). My PC matches and bests the spec on the back of the box so theres no issues with not having the right spec on my desktop.

Got everything installed, downloaded and updated. The game autolaunches into a Launch Menu for it whenever I insert the disc (anyone who's played the game will know what menu I'm on about). You can launch or update the game from here.

Whenever I click play I get a "Disk Authentification Error" and it says that it can't read the game disc or there's no disc in the drive.

I've looked up the issue online. Multiple different solutions haven't helped, and the official EA troubleshooting doesn't help either.

I got it exchanged in Gamestop earlier. When I handed him the receipt he said "We don't normally take returns on PC games." I explained there were no issues with my PC so it was a problem with the game. If there was something wrong with my PC, it wouldn't have installed or updated. He begrudgingly gave me another copy of the game and I went home.

Tried it there and the exact same thing is happening again. I'm returning either today or Monday. Am I going to run into any issues returning this for a full credit or refund, or is this falling under "Not fit for the purpose intended"?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

A difficult on as this is most likely a problem with your PC. If it were not then EA would have a zillion returns.

Imagine this was a DVD you bought and it just does not play in your player but fine in anyone elses. A replacement product does the same. Is the fault with the product or your DVD player?

The same is true for the PC. It does not sound like a min spec issue, sounds to me like you may have an incorrect reference to the CD drive somewhere, so it thinks its on f: but it's on g:

Try posting in the PC issues forum, someone may help but the store has already gone beyond their duty of care and it almost certainly is not EA's issue.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Tried it on my laptop as well and the same thing happened.

The problem was showing up on a number of different forums, and on the official EASims forum the solutions the offered had nothing to do with my PC. It's only two weeks old in fairness.

The fault appears to have been with the product, but also with it's compatibility with something in my PC. That being said, I had no way of fixing it as it wouldn't tell me what was wrong. The PC matches the required spec for the game.

Brought it back there and while they were confused about the situation, they gave me a credit note for the value which was the best result possible. We chatted about it for a few mins, they said it was a bit of a grey area. One of the lads had heard about the issue before but had no solution.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,470 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Wasn't fit for purpose, you were entitled to a full refund.

Nothing grey about it.

Advertisement