Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aiste. Irish HL. Scope for movement?

• 11-06-2011 2:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭

I know the Aiste has 3 choices and there is also a debate, opening and ending of which I have prepared.

However can you write basically an Aiste in any other part of the question?

I know you definitely can't write an aiste under the "sceal" part but what about Alt etc?

Our teacher didn't actually explain these to us, only ever mentioned the Aiste!

I only know two off by heart and am rightly screwed if neither come up in the Aiste or Diospoireacht section!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭feels2gd2btrue

Yes an aiste can be used for the other sections except for the sceal section! make sure you know how to open/close a debate and have the necessary vocab. Articles and speeches also come up and an aiste can easily be used for these:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Yep. Remember though for the debate or speech you need to have a certain tone of voice and you need to use specific phrases. For example, a debate will ALWAYS start with "A Chathaoirleach, a mholtoirí...".

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Realt11

I know the Aiste has 3 choices and there is also a debate, opening and ending of which I have prepared.

However can you write basically an Aiste in any other part of the question?

I know you definitely can't write an aiste under the "sceal" part but what about Alt etc?

Our teacher didn't actually explain these to us, only ever mentioned the Aiste!

I only know two off by heart and am rightly screwed if neither come up in the Aiste or Diospoireacht section!

To be honest, you'd be safer to stick with the Aiste and Diospoireacht section. The scéal requires a very high fluency and creativity!!

I did that a few years ago at my leaving cert, i didnt do the aiste but did the diospoireacht. I had the opening and closing argument off to a tee, you can write an essay in the diospoireacht, but it wouldnt be advisable, if u be argumentative with your opinions and facts though you'll get through it like your writing an essay. Throw in action phrases here and there like 'a chairde' in the body of it when driving a point home, and you'll be sound :) hope this helps!!

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭LittleMissLost

Thanks

Can someone explain if the format of the Aiste has to be changed if you are writing it under the "Alt Nuachtain / Irise" part?

Also, I know the debate opening and ending, but how about for an óráid?

For an article it's good to address either the editor or audience reading, depending on the question asked. Always good to start off with "I was watching the television/news/reading when I saw _____ and this made me very angry".

A great phrase to use in a debate is "Mo dhaone uaisle", "My dear people". It just works wonders when you use it in the right places and brings life to your arguments. Also know the words for being in favour/against a motion.

• Advertisement

Thanks Cydoniac :)

Could you translate that wee sentence into Irish please? My grammar is BRUTAL.

My excuse is I only started Irish in 4th class :rolleyes:

Well, something along the lines of "Bhí me ag féachaint ar an teilifís nuair a chonaic mé (an fadhb). Goileann sé go mór orm/bhí mé ar deargbhuile". [I was watching the television when I saw (the problem). It makes me upset/I was raging]

Worst thing you can do is try writing in a standard of Irish above your own, you're bound to run into mistakes. Keep it simple, clear, and fairly correct.

to write in the alt section really depends on the question, it can swing for you one way or the other, so its best to stick to the format you know with the aiste/diospoireacht especially in an exam situation. i wouldnt advise doing an alt question without any practice with them, it could throw you

• Registered Users Posts: 5 j123456789

Could somebody post everything you need to know to change an aiste into a diospoireacht. I saw "A Chathaoirleach, a mholtoirí..." above but what else do you need to know? Is there more of an opening and is there a specific ending as well?

Would appreciate the help, my irish teahcer wasn't the best..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Ezkimosrawk

Pretty sure its "A chathaoirligh, a mholtóirí, a chomhscoláirí, a lucht an fhreasúra agus a dhaoine uaisle" Something to do with declension.

Well in a 500 word debate your intro and conclusion can take up a good 200 - 250 words so its pretty useful.

Ed with something like "Nach bhfuil sé soiléir don dall go bhfuil an ceart againn? Níl lucht an fhréasura réalaíoch ar bith, tá siad ag iarraidh dallamullóg a chur oraibh. Tá súil agam go n-aontoidh sibh lenár n-argóintí anocht, beidh oraibh an cinneadh ceart a dheanamh anois. Go raibh míle maith agat le haghaidh bhúr gcuid am, is mise ___, captaen na foirne ó scoil éigin agus sin é".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 j123456789

Pretty sure its "A chathaoirligh, a mholtóirí, a chomhscoláirí, a lucht an fhreasúra agus a dhaoine uaisle" Something to do with declension.

Well in a 500 word debate your intro and conclusion can take up a good 200 - 250 words so its pretty useful.

Ed with something like "Nach bhfuil sé soiléir don dall go bhfuil an ceart againn? Níl lucht an fhréasura réalaíoch ar bith, tá siad ag iarraidh dallamullóg a chur oraibh. Tá súil agam go n-aontoidh sibh lenár n-argóintí anocht, beidh oraibh an cinneadh ceart a dheanamh anois. Go raibh míle maith agat le haghaidh bhúr gcuid am, is mise ___, captaen na foirne ó scoil éigin agus sin é".

Thanks a million! Could you translate the last bit though as my Irish is appaling and I would like to have some idea what I am saying incase I use it out of context or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 kt.alice

Is nobody else doing the scéal?? O.o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 159 ✭✭biggaman

kt.alice wrote: »

we were told to avoid it at all costs :P

Too easy to get brought down to simply, JC level content I guess..

How are you planning on avoiding that? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭RandomIrl

some phrases for the óráid...:
    Openings
    Ba mhaith liom fáilte a chur roimh an lucht éisteachta inniú. Go raibh maith agaibh as táim buíoch díbh as bheith anseo inniu.

Thar cheann an choiste, cuirim fáilte mhór romhaibh inniu.

Ba mhaith liom buíochas a ghabháil LE Seán AS an gcabhair a thug sé dom
    Gabhaim buíochas LIBH as bhur dtacaíocht.
    Táimid buíoch DAR muintir AS a dtacaíocht.
    Táim buíoch DÍBH as bheith anseo inniu.
    Táim FAOI chomaoin agaibh AS bheith anseo inniu.
    Táim faoi chomaoin agaibh.
    Le blianta beaga anuas/le seachtainí beaga anuas/le cúpla mí anuas ..in the last few years/weeks/months
    Caithfimid aghaidh a thabhairt ar na fadhbanna seo le chéile. (we have to fight these problems/go against these problems together)

Caithfimid tús a chur le..
    Caithfimid deireadh a chur le.....

Go néirí libh a chairde.:P :P

(in a speech you have to make sure you reference to the audience at different points, same can be said for debate.)

We were told to avoid it like the plague. Only if you are amazing at Irish and have imagination and big vocab to go with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭RandomIrl

Sorry, not sure how to quote properly

'Nach bhfuil sé soiléir don dall go bhfuil an ceart againn? Níl lucht an fhréasura réalaíoch ar bith, tá siad ag iarraidh dallamullóg a chur oraibh. Tá súil agam go n-aontoidh sibh lenár n-argóintí anocht, beidh oraibh an cinneadh ceart a dheanamh anois. Go raibh míle maith agat le haghaidh bhúr gcuid am, is mise ___, captaen na foirne ó scoil éigin agus sin é".'

Isnt it clear to the blind that we are right. The opposition are not realistic at all they are trying to trick us, I hope you agree with our arguments, you will have to make the right decidsion now. thank you very much for your time. I am ____, captain or____ and thats it.

stay away from the scéal, you need to be really imaginative and creative as well as having a really good stórfocal to pull it out of the bag. 3 hours wouldnt be close enough to do a scéal.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 kt.alice

Actually I got 84% for my scéal in the mocks... And I'm not a native speaker, I only started Irish in fifth class and don't go to a Gaelscoil. I just have two grammar-and-spelling-perfect stories learnt off by heart, and one or other of them fits to any of the past papers titles. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Ezkimosrawk

j123456789 wrote: »
    Thanks a million! Could you translate the last bit though as my Irish is appaling and I would like to have some idea what I am saying incase I use it out of context or something.

It's a conclusion, I reckon you'll find that difficult :P
    Roughly : "Nach bhfuil sé soiléir don dall go bhfuil an ceart againn?= Is it not clear to a blind man that we are right?
    Níl lucht an fhréasura réalaíoch ar bith, tá siad ag iarraidh dallamullóg a chur oraibh.= The opposition aren't at all realistic, they're trying to pull one over you.

Tá súil agam go n-aontoidh sibh lenár n-argóintí anocht" = I hope that you will agree with our arguements tonight.
    "beidh oraibh an cinneadh ceart a dheanamh anois."= You have to make the right decision now.

"Go raibh míle maith agat le haghaidh bhúr gcuid am, is mise ___, captaen na foirne ó scoil éigin agus sin é". = Thanks for your time, I am___, Captain of the team from whatever school.

Advertisement