Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC install problem

• 11-06-2011 2:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 945 ✭✭✭

My brother just bought a house that is about 10 years old. He was due to get UPC broadband yesterday but there was a problem.

House has never had UPC (for tv or broadband) previously and UPC installer said that cable is likely to be under the wood flooring in the hall, just inside the front door. So he said part of the flooring will have to come up to find the cable before the install can take place. (customer has to do this themselves)

Today, my brother took some skirting board off the wall near the front door and he has found a "blue rope". He thinks the installer mentioned this when taking to his supervisor yesterday.

Just wondering if this "blue rope" behind the skirting board could be the UPC cable as my brother does not want to continue on and take up the flooring unnecessarily.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 953 ✭✭✭hearny

There was an old analog connection in my parents house when they went to switch over to digital with broadband.

The signal was too weak so they brought in another line from outside.

Did they look at the possibility of doing that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Trevord

NO.

As far as I know this cable is good enough for high speed broadband its just a case of finding it so that they can work on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

The blue rope goes under the floor I assume. Where do the UPC cables run outside the house exactly? Is there a series of UPC/NTL/Cablelink manholes on the footpath outside or does it run near the gutters along the fascia and soffit boards or along the wall of the house? With the age of the house, I'm guessing the UPC cables run under the footpath. If the UPC/Cablelink manhole nearest the house can be found, it can be lifted up to see if the blue rope ends up there. A crowbar or a thick screwdriver and claw hammer can lift it to check. Those covers are made of steel so take care with your fingers!

I highly suspect the blue rope is there to pull in a coax cable whenever the house was to be connected to cable. They used a blue rope in place so as to save the developers time and effort laying actual cables etc.

Advertisement