Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WP Social Media widgets/plugins with indexable displayed content?

Options
  • 11-06-2011 2:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm having problems trying to find wordpress social media plugins which will display specific content from the various social media accounts that can be indexed by the SERP's? I've read that SE's can't index javascript and that most of these plugins use javascript - is this true?

Essentially, I'd like to get some social media plugins for my twitter, blog, news, YouTube and Fickr accounts so they can be displayed on the site and that the unique dynamic content can be indexed by the Search Engines to help the ranking.

I've seen some examples of these displays being integrated into sites such as on the Realex site here but how do I achieve the same thing on a WP site with plugins which can be proven to be indexable? Any examples would be very helpful. I realise that the Realex site is built with Joomla andPHP.

Thanks in advance for any help that you can offer!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

So what you probably want to do is use RSS to pull in the actual content into the site?

There's quite a few plugins out there that will do that ..

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭ivorystraws

I'm aware of that but I'm specifically looking for plugins which display the social media content, are indexable by Search Engines and I'd like working examples of these that are WordPress based.

I know there are hundreds of plugins but I'm looking for people's specific recommendations and that the content displayed by these WP plugins will be indexable by SE's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Is this much ado for little result? Surely if the content is dynamic it is going to be difficult to index.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

I'm aware of that but I'm specifically looking for plugins which display the social media content, are indexable by Search Engines and I'd like working examples of these that are WordPress based.

I know there are hundreds of plugins but I'm looking for people's specific recommendations and that the content displayed by these WP plugins will be indexable by SE's.

My reply answered you

Just go looking at RSS plugins

Blacknight your answer only stated the obvious so how is that helpful? It's basically answering any question with "go google it".

I have already explained to you that I'm already aware what I need as I stated that in my initial email. I'm looking for expert opinions and recommendations for these specific plugins based on people's experience not generic template answers. If you don't have any specific recommendations with examples then please don't respond.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

Now Blacknight! You've been told!

Anyway the solution I'm suggesting is along the lines suggested by Blacknight. It's not a plugin, but here's a great script called RSS2HTML http://www.feedforall.com/free-php-script.htm that converts RSS feeds to xhtml. Install it on your site and embed it on the page as an include, it's all done server-side and there's no javascript involved so it's very SE friendly.

Thanks for your response Cormee and yes, I can do without the unhelpful generic comments from Blacknight so I'd much prefer if they didn't respond at all on this thread.

I appreciate your proposed response but I only want existing WP based plugins. As it stands I have plugins that display my twitter, blog and News feed (the News feed displays aggregated content from other sources) but they are in a tabbed format within a sidebar and I'm changing the display of the main page of the site.
    I have installed CaRP to render the twitter feed as real text on my site.

However, currently, I'm still looking for:
    • WordPress based plugins that basically emulate the Social Media feeds as displayed on the realex site.
    • I'd like to see working examples of these plugins on other WP based sites.
    • It would be helpful if the someone has had experience of using these plugins and that the displayed content can be verified as indexable by Search Engines.

It's obvious that many plugins, widgets, scripts exist but I'd find recommendations from trustworthy experts more helpful than implementing a "try and test it" method.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 davepredict

Hi there,

Not sure if there's one for all your networks but here are a few....

WP Facebook Like Box
    Twitter Tools
    YouTube Recent Video
    Flickr Gallery

For your blog I think you can use the RSS Syndication Widget

Hope this helps a little!

Dave

Thanks Dave, I appreciate those recommendations.
    • I do already have both facebook and LinkedIn follow buttons which are handy and I think I'll leave them there.
    • I have a Facebook display of my followers from my fan page
    • I have my YouTube promotional video being displayed just underneath the main banner
    • I have a twitter plugin displaying my latest tweets but the problem is whether it's displayed contents are being indexed by SERP's?
    • There's flickr plugin for the gallery but I may remove that as it's slowing down the site

It would be great to see examples of the plugins I'm looking for on existing WP based sites and verification that SERP's can index their displayed content.

Hi ivorystraws,

The content from the twitter tools stream is indexable.

For the like box however you may have the code to add it manually in a custom widget for it to be indexable.

You'll need to go here

https://developers.facebook.com/docs/reference/plugins/like-box/

And generate the code.You'll also need to use the FBML method as the iframe method has no SEO benefit. To do this you'll have to register it as

Your YouTube video is also indexable but all the search engine sees is the flash embed.

Not too sure about how the flickr plugin works to be honest.

bloggertone.com and connector.tv are 2 examples of some of the plugins in action. Not exactly what you're looking for though because they use the WP Facebook plugin that generates the iframe code.

• Advertisement

Hi Davepredict,

Thanks for the helpful response.

You're right in that the content from the twitter tools stream is indexable so that solves one problem.

Can you please detail the SEO advantages to using FBML over iFrames?

My main problems are ensuring that the news and Blog content displays are indexable. Apart from verifying crawl stats in Google Analytics, what else can be used to verify indexing?

I don't quite understand what you meant't about the YouTube display? Did you mean that it's not indexable when used with the YouTube plugin which utilises flash to display the video?

I did have a look at the examples you mentioned and I liked some features from both sites although ideally, I would like to limit the amount of Javascript and flash being used in my sites if possible. Good examples though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭blue4ever

Check first - do a site search to see if any of your tweets etc have been indexed under your site. That will prove/disprove your theory and you can go from there

Hi there,

Basically when Google sees an iframe it knows that it's content from another site so doesn't credit the site displaying the iframe. If you use xfbml then it is attributed as your own content.

Your news and blog content will always be indexable. Once you display it as an RSS feed you'll be fine. This genreates standard HTML code that Google can read.

You can use the standard Latest Posts widget to display this content. Or else you can install more sophisticated alernatives that allow you to specify category etc.

YouTube videos are either Flash embeds or iframes so there's nothing you can really do there. Google will be able to identify the content but will know its from YouTube.

D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

I thought FBML was no longer supported other than in legacy applications?

Hi there,

Basically when Google sees an iframe it knows that it's content from another site so doesn't credit the site displaying the iframe. If you use xfbml then it is attributed as your own content.

Your news and blog content will always be indexable. Once you display it as an RSS feed you'll be fine. This genreates standard HTML code that Google can read.

You can use the standard Latest Posts widget to display this content. Or else you can install more sophisticated alernatives that allow you to specify category etc.

YouTube videos are either Flash embeds or iframes so there's nothing you can really do there. Google will be able to identify the content but will know its from YouTube.

D

Excellent and clear answer DavePredict, it's refreshing to have that clarity and I know what has to be done now. Thanks for the information.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 fachinky

check out seo-browser [dot] com to see what the search engines see. I'm of no use to you in regards to a plug in. Any luck? I am seeking something similar.

Advertisement