Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Permanent Diarrhea

• 11-06-2011 3:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭

I adopted a lovely little Terrier/Jack Russell type dog a week ago.

She has had diarrhea since I brought her home. Personally I think it's just nerves and the upset of adjusting to a new home.

Also, I have been trying my best to feed her a raw food diet, i also give her tinned salmon. But sometimes she has been getting normal dog food as well.

Nothing seems to make a difference, her stools are still soft or pure liquid (really sorry!!).
    I've been cooking chicken breasts for her since yesterday to see if that makes a difference, so far nothing.

I'm not overly worried because she doesn't appear sick and has TONS of energy, and loves to play and run around.

Should I be worried or is this normal for new rescue dogs?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

Make sure that you don't have any dairy in the diet. A diet of a good dry dog food and water should eliminate any problems

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭carleigh

If she has been like this for the past week, I would definitely be thinking of a trip to the vet. They can check her to make sure there isnt any underlying cause for her upset tummy.

You could also try fasting her for a day, and in the evening giving her a cup of boiled chicken and rice and see how she does with that. It may help to settle her stomach. You could also try I/d dog food, which comes dry or in tins. We feed that to my own dog as he has gastro problems so he is on it long term, but it also helps to ease a dodgy tummy. We find it great.

Best of luck with the new edition :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭portgirl123

How old is the jrt? I think the prob could be not only change of owners but more importantly change of food. Really You should have stuck with the food that the dog was already on and changed grad over the course of 10 days. also you seem to be feeding it to many different types of food.
    I would as someone else said nothing but plenty of water for the next 24 hrs and then something bland like chicken/rice or special tin food like chappie or RC sinsitivity if this dont work ur next step is strat to the vet. In the mean time if she starts to pass blood or gets listless straight to the vet.

Advertisement