Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell me what to read

Options
  • 11-06-2011 3:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭

So I'm on a major book buzz at the moment. However I tend to find an author I like, and read everything they have. But I'm looking for something new..

I'm a huge fan of:
    Brett Easton Ellis
    Haruki Murakami
    SOME Chuck Palahniuk
    Sylvia Plath
    Suzanne Collins (read the hunger games trilogy in a week)
    Steig Larsson

And I'm currently reading blink by malcom gladwell.
    I generally decide in the first 30 pages if I'm going to stick with a book, so i pretty much run away from anything htats hard to get into. Any recommendations would be savage :) Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

David Mitchell is often compared to murakami. Try his number9dream which is nearly considered a 'homage' to murakami. Some of his better books include Ghostwritten or Cloud Atlas. Not sure how easy they are to get into, but I love all of his stuff.

If you're looking for something new (and not necessarily related to what you liked previously) you could do worse than try Richard Yates. Revolutionary Road is his most famous one, but Easter Parade is fantastic too.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭pink-mist

I actually got cloud atlas free for world book day...yet to read!
    Also, LOVED the film of revolutionary road so I'll defo give it a go, thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9 majessticon

Aside from Stieg Larsson, I like all those people too!

So i recommend:
    Douglas Coupland,
    Jonathan Coe
    Kazuo Ishiguro,
    Gabriel Garcia Marquez,
    and I read a really awesome book last year call The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz, which is the only thing I've read by that guy.

Non-fiction wise, Predictibly Irrational by Dan Ariely is fantastic, I read that just after reading Blink. And Bad Sciene by Ben Goldacre is a classic.

Hope some of these are new to you! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Vernon God Little by DBC Pierre

You should also check out The Secret History by Donna Tartt, a contemporary and friend of Bret Easton Ellis.

Advertisement