Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Riello Burner - Problems

• 11-06-2011 3:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

Hi

i am trying to figure out what is wrong with my burner, basically when it turns on, i can hear a buzzing sound and then i can hear the igniter trying to kick in and then the lockout light comes on...

i used to hear a fan sound but dont hear that any more...

is there anything i can do or is it best at this stage to leave it to a professional?

thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

did u run out of oil at any point?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 ninjadude

snyper wrote: »
    did u run out of oil at any point?

at one point yes, but the got a refill, bled the system and the burner kicked back in for about 3 days working perfect and then this... :S

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Royal Seahawk

Sounds like a problem with the Kerosene pump. The oil isn't getting pumped through to the combustion chamber. These are always going in Riello burners. Easily enough changed. Should set you back around 90euro.

PM if you need more advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭davidoco

dirt from very bottom on tank when you ran out may be blocking the nozzle. Take out the burner, carefully remove the nozzle and dip in some kerosene or diesel. Do not use a pin or anything like that. For the cost of it it might be best to just replace it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

Other possible faults are..

Faulty Capacitor on the fan/pump motor.
    Seized Pump
    Faulty motor.

The capacitors are available from some plumbing suppliers costing around 10 Euro, but only consider it if you are familiar with working on electrics. (but it is easy enough).

The pump/motor would require more skill to replace.

(the buzzing sound is most likely the sound of the motor stalled (caused by any of the above, including a blocked jet), repeated attempts at starting may burn out the motor)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Billy Bunting

Yep, i'd go for Capacitor first then the pump, with a blocked nozzle the burner would still run so i'd rule that out. :cool:

thanks guys!

replaced the capacitor today so its not that.
    the motor moves freely (well small bit of resistance but nothing major) so

going to get to take it apart further when i have a little more time and replace the motor by the looks of things ...

after all this.... :) it looks like its the pump... nothing seems to be pumping out... or if i turn the bleed screw with the system running nothing spurts out... so dont think its a solenoid.. getting a new pump today hopefully.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭DoneDL

Whats the pressure on the pump?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

If the fan isn't running then neither is the pump. The fan should run briefly before ignition to purge the combustion chamber before oil is admitted to the burner. No fan, no pump, and no oil!

• Advertisement
Advertisement