Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reasons why you should have owned: The Atari 2600

Options
  • 11-06-2011 4:48pm
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭

We're jumping back 34 years this time to the legendary Atrari 2600!

Atari_2600.png
    The Atari 2600 is a video game console released in October 1977 by Atari, Inc. It is credited with popularizing the use of microprocessor-based hardware and cartridges containing game code, instead of having non-microprocessor dedicated hardware with all games built in. The first game console to use this format was the Fairchild Channel F; however, the Atari 2600 receives credit for making the plug-in concept popular among the game-playing public.

The console was originally sold as the Atari VCS, for Video Computer System. Following the release of the Atari 5200, in 1982, the VCS was renamed "Atari 2600", after the unit's Atari part number, CX2600. The 2600 was typically bundled with two joystick controllers, a conjoined pair of paddle controllers, and a cartridge game—initially Combat and later Pac-Man.

The Atari 2600 was wildly successful, and during much of the 1980s, "Atari" was a synonym for this model in mainstream media and, by extension, for video games in general.

In 2009, the Atari 2600 was named the second greatest video game console of all time by IGN.

Although I'm 10 years shy of when this machine launched, I actually own one :D I picked it up broken and repaired it myself. Came with a few game: Super Granny (urgh), Pitfall and Breakout.

Bear in mind that I had this during the time of the SNES/Mega Drive days, I spent many a month playing Pitfall. The game almost enveloped me and still feels fresh to play to this day. Playing with the joystick was friggin amazing too, it worked so well (although I had a joypad for it too), I ended up buying a few flight sims, Rampage (a terrible port), and Tank City (a solid top down table-top tank shooter)

Overall I enjoyed my time with the Atari. My console is now broken once again, but one day I'll dig it out and repair it once more for some pure nostalgic gaming.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,050 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

you haven't lived until you've mastered DECATHLON!!..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Reasons why you should have owned: The Atari 2600

Combat.
    Many nights playing it with friends............... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combat_%28video_game%29

Combatatarigamepack.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

Custers revenge?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,446 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Get 2 twin paddle controllers and a copy of Warlords and sit back with 3 other mates and enjoy one of the best multiplayer games ever made.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

etcartridge.jpg

:pac::pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,003 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Because a wood paneled tv looks naked without one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

I was very young when I had my clone 2600 with 127 built in games (I think) and this one is the one that sticks in my mind. Good sounds, simple premise and even back then I had the same urge as kids today and the quake era, to play a multiplayer shooting deathmatch game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

routing around in the parent's loft earlier this week, and found the two joysticks that came with the atari:D oh so many memories of playing Defender and Rampage to name a few:) think this was the first console we ever got in our house. it's definitely the first one i remember playing on

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Had one of these with a stack of games, 2 joy sticks, and 2 paddle controllers, dont know why it was ever given away.

:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83,333 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

My cousin had this. Pitfall was great craic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

you haven't lived until you've mastered DECATHLON!!..

That game. That damn game. So much joystick-waggling that it wore the flesh away from the palm of my hand. Weeks of oozing, bandaged agony.

Although I did manage to keep playing Centipede until the score counter ran out of space and reset.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

There is something incorrect about the information here. The 2600 came out about 1987 before that it was the wooden atari but it was not called the 2600. The greatest breakthrough imo was the atari 520st. It had a 16 track recording deck built in which was ahead of its time

btw combat for the win :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭Firefox11

etcartridge.jpg

:pac::pac:

Didn't they have to bury thousands of these in the desert because they couldn't sell them or something or was that just some myth.

Fact. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atari_video_game_burial
    Effect on the industry
    Further information: North American video game crash of 1983

The game is often cited as one of the most important titles in the industry.[36][37][38] Billboard magazine's Earl Paige reported that the large number of unsold E.T. games along with an increase in competition prompted retailers to demand official return programs from video game manufacturers.[39] The game is also considered to be one of the causes of the video game industry crisis of 1983. By the end of 1982, Atari had begun to lose dominance as more competitors entered the market.[8] Poor critical reception and lack of a profitable marketing strategy made this game one of many cited decisions that led Atari to report a $536 million loss in 1983 and led to the company being divided and sold in 1984.[21] GameSpy's Classic Gaming called E.T. Atari's biggest mistake, as well as the largest financial failure in the industry.[27][40] Reiley commented that the game's poor quality was responsible for ending the product life of the Atari 2600.[26] Occurring soon after Pac-Man's negative critical response on the Atari 2600, E.T.'s poor reception was attributed by Kent to a negative impact on Atari's reputation and profitability.[7] Authors Nick Montfort and Ian Bogost echoed similar comments about Pac-Man and E.T.'s combined effect on the company's reputation and the industry's reaction.[41] Buchanan also cited the game as a factor to Atari and the industry's crash. He stated that the large amount of unsold merchandise was a financial burden to Atari, which pushed the company into debt.[14]

On December 7, 1982, Kassar announced that Atari's revenue forecasts for 1982 were cut from a 50 percent increase over 1981 to a 15 percent increase.[4][42] Immediately following the announcement, Warner Communications' stock value dropped by around 35 percent—from US$54 to US$35—resulting in the company losing US$1.3 billion in market valuation.[4][43] Expecting the drop, Kassar sold five thousand of his Warner shares a half hour before the announcement.[4][42] This prompted an investigation for insider trading against him by U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission.[42] Atari attempted to regain their market share by licensing popular arcade games for the Atari consoles. The games, however, did not reverse Atari's decline and they went further into debt. In 1983, the company had decreased its workforce by 30 percent and lost US$356 million. Other companies—Activision, Bally Technologies, and Mattel—experienced similar results as the industry declined.[7]

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

The shop keeper who sold my dad my one told him there was 32 games on the Centipede cartridge (it might have said it on the box too, now that I think of it).

When I opened it Christmas Day it wouldn't power on. :( Luckily my dad was able to fix it using the jack from my sisters headphones. Used to spend hours playing River Raid 2, Double Dragon, Gorf and Zaxxon - although I was pretty crap at that.

Also it was seemingly "backwards" compatible with MegaDrive controllers which didn't even exist when it was made :eek:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,446 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Most consoles then used a standard controller port so you'll also find that megadrive controllers also work on the Amiga and C64 as well as others.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Most consoles then used a standard controller port so you'll also find that megadrive controllers also work on the Amiga and C64 as well as others.

I figured as much it just always sounds more impressive when you say it like a magician :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

250px-Yars_Revenge_cover.jpg

i had this, i'm just noticing that it came out a year before i was born. . .no wonder i could never make sense of it

i actually think i came across a shiny new version of it on xbl not too long ago

Berzerk.jpg

i also had that, savage although scary ass game for the then 6 year old me

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭chavezychavez

Wasted a good few hours on this "classic" ahem!!

http://www.atariguide.com/0/003.php

• Registered Users Posts: 5,926 ✭✭✭trellheim

Defender !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

I never owned one, but it probably did more to launch video games among the masses. What is incredible to me was the length of time it was manufactured for, from 1977 all the way to 1992.I remember being in Harry Moore's in the Square Tallaght shortly before Christmas 1991 and by that stage it was looking less than impressive next to an Amiga and a Sega Megadrive.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Shadow Mozez

Anyone have 1 for sale?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,072 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

This is the one i had:

Atari2600jr.jpg

I remember Berzerk, crazy hard game, Centipede, spent hours on Pole Position, and does anyone else remember:

$(KGrHqN,!i8E1N!05Y9DBNc5hN8BtQ~~_35.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Best game on the console by a large margin imo

River_Raid_cover.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

I had both versions, the wooden one and the updated one, never liked it, I hated the games, the was little point to them and the graphics where awful conpared to the Nes my friend had at the same time, the NES games had scope and a narritve within the gameplay that atari lacked, I also hated the joysticks. Before the Atari I had the ZX Spectrum and felt that it had more to offer than the 2600.

By the time the NES came out the 2600 was 7 years old. There's still some great games on the system if you look past the limitations of the graphics. With the NES it just became much easier for developers to make good games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Centipede, Millipede, Pacman (hey I didn't know better when I was younger), Enduro Racer, Pole Position and Double Dragon.
    My first games!

Advertisement