Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Memory Lane

Options
  • 11-06-2011 4:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Can anyone please tell me the name of a supermarket that was on the Tullow Road back in the 80's?? It was behind the Topaz garage opposite Lidl, I think. I think it was Tesco but my family are telling me other names and they don't ring a bell.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

It was Quinnsworth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stained Class

That originally opened around 1980ish & was called 3 Guys.

It was a very spartan low-cost supermarket which made Aldi look posh!

I think 3 Guys was a Tesco brandname for Ireland at the time as the place was renamed Tesco later on.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Bog Man 1

It was a supermarket owned by Albert Gubay.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albert_Gubay

• Registered Users Posts: 49 MissOphelia

H Williams?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

super-rush wrote: »
    It was Quinnsworth.
    They were in with pennys on Kennedy avenue around that time, there was a discount grocery store but can't remember the name, maybe petitts? did they move later to Kennedy street?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

Anyone remember 5 star supermarket on Tullow st.?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stained Class

Anyone remember 5 star supermarket on Tullow st.?

Yeah, I remember being in there as a kid.

Apparently it was a Woolworths branch before that. You could see the 'W' logo on the tiled floor as you entered.

Quinnsworth took it over & ran it for a spell while they were building their new store where Pennys are now.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭doughef

Am i right in saying it was called 'Giant' at one stage??

I vaguely remember having a hat with the logo on it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭honkytonk52

was it "crazy prices" or am i just going mad and making up names

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭lucylu

There was a House & Home where Penneys / Old Lifestyle was also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

kkgrl wrote: »
    Can anyone please tell me the name of a supermarket that was on the Tullow Road back in the 80's?? It was behind the Topaz garage opposite Lidl, I think. I think it was Tesco but my family are telling me other names and they don't ring a bell.

I thought it was super value - I remember my mam going there when I was real young, It was where we used to get the busses to summer camp were leaving from. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭thinks too much

That originally opened around 1980ish & was called 3 Guys.

It was a very spartan low-cost supermarket which made Aldi look posh!

I think 3 Guys was a Tesco brandname for Ireland at the time as the place was renamed Tesco later on.
    you are bang on the money with your answer.....i know it was 3 guys and then tesco because we used to shoplift there in our youth.....ah happy days....

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭pinkfloyd34

doughef wrote: »
    Am i right in saying it was called 'Giant' at one stage??

I vaguely remember having a hat with the logo on it :)

your dead right, it was giant for a few months and a hooter used to go off every day and who ever was at the till got there shopping for nothing, i dont think it lasted too long, also remember hwilliams and tesco there, what ever was there never really took off and then they made it alot smaller putting in other shop units, i used to love the old haddens and remember the new one opening was like something out of the future with the escalators and all

Advertisement