Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for a new ssd and headset

Options
  • 11-06-2011 5:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭

I was wondering could anyone point out a decent 64gb ssd for under 150 euro collected/delivered?
    Also would anyone know of any decent usb headsets? I am looking for usb headsets as I want to have the voice chat coming through the headset and the sound from a game through my speakers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40 powpow

http://www.dabs.ie/products/ocz-technology-60gb-agility-3-ssd-series-sata-6gb-s-2-5--solid-state-drive-7HR1.html?q=agility

Highly recommended!

http://www.dabs.ie/products/logitech-g35-surround-sound-gaming-headset---7-1-channel--ear-cup--62V1.html?q=logitech headset

Dabs seem to be one of the cheapest at the moment.

Also although its possible depending on what you're doing, it can be a little messy to use both USB headphones and a speaker system at the same time. USB earphones use their own dedicated external sound card so you'll effectively be using two sound cards at once.

Ah I just saw you edited your post,

If you're using an ingame chat system, it most likely isn't supported.
    If you're using a dedicated voip application like teamspeak, ventrillo or xfire, then it is possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

powpow wrote: »
    Ah I just saw you edited your post,

If you're using an ingame chat system, it most likely isn't supported.
    If you're using a dedicated voip application like teamspeak, ventrillo or xfire, then it is possible.

Yea I will be using teamspeak on my server so can set it up that way :). I havent taught to check but would the likes of steam voice chat support it?

powpow wrote: »
    http://www.dabs.ie/products/ocz-technology-60gb-agility-3-ssd-series-sata-6gb-s-2-5--solid-state-drive-7HR1.html?q=agility

Highly recommended!

http://www.dabs.ie/products/logitech-g35-surround-sound-gaming-headset---7-1-channel--ear-cup--62V1.html?q=logitech headset

Dabs seem to be one of the cheapest at the moment.

Also although its possible depending on what you're doing, it can be a little messy to use both USB headphones and a speaker system at the same time. USB earphones use their own dedicated external sound card so you'll effectively be using two sound cards at once.

That seems brilliant value for the ssd, think will definiately pick it up :). Didnt think headsets wouldbe that expensive but will pick up that headset if no better value ones can be pointed out :)

Steam chat does not support that as it stands but there may be another program available which could handle it, not too sure on that one.

There are cheaper 60GB SSD's such as the vertex 2 or the corsair F60 but the agility 3 speeds are very impressive for the price!

The G35 is one of the best USB headsets available, but I'm sure there are better value ones on the market!

Another option would be to just buy an external sound card and use your current headset with that.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

deceit wrote: »
    That seems brilliant value for the ssd, think will definiately pick it up :). Didnt think headsets wouldbe that expensive but will pick up that headset if no better value ones can be pointed out :)

Great headset, however is that price mainly because it is a 7.1 surround headset, probably way overkill for your needs.

If it is only for for voice then any half decent usb chat headset should be fine. Obviously worth spending a bit more if you will be using it for gaming sound as well from time to time.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭CullyA

Does your mobo support sata 6 (3gbs) otherwise you ain't getting those recommend speeds,headset is extremely good for gaming and chatting,but if not for intense gaming they are way overkill.

It will be used for i'd say 75% only voice but would be used some nights for gaming also so you would be right :). It doesnt support usb 3 but I have an adpator card for it and will be replacing my board for a better one soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭shuyin1

Something you might want to consider while theres still time is 34nm vs 25nm ssd's. Vertex 2 and f60 still have some 34nm stock while the agility 3 is using 25nm chips. Ssd's built using 25nm chips lose quite a substantial amount of lifespan and a bit of performance.

The vertex 2 also have a die issue and nam ,I had to RMA v2 120 gb with ocz ,and the one I got in return is very quick,but it's pure luck if you get the 32 die sad,so maybe crucial 64 gb

• Advertisement

CullyA wrote: »
    Does your mobo support sata 6 (3gbs) otherwise you ain't getting those recommend speeds,headset is extremely good for gaming and chatting,but if not for intense gaming they are way overkill.

That should read SATA 3 ( 6gbs ) soz ,sata 2 fine for vertex

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭CaSCaDe711

Hi, sorry for barging in. Can someone please recommend a decent value 40GB (or 64GB) SSD for this board, the ASRock P4i65G? Planning to use one as the C drive. Also, is it possible to connect a SATA II, and just live with the max speed the board will achieve? Thanks in advance people.

CaSCaDe711 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Fluffy88

You can plug a SATA 6Gb/s into your SATA 1.5Gb/s port and it will work, but it's speed will be limited to the bandwidth of your port. So your SATA 1.5Gb/s port can manage speeds of 150Mb/s therefore any SATA drive you plugin to the port can only reach those speeds.

A good prices 40Gb
    http://www.dabs.ie/products/corsair-memory-40gb-force-series-2-5--sata-3gb-s-solid-state-drive-7JW6.html?refs=361720000-4294946440-52750000
    And 64Gb
    http://www.dabs.ie/products/ocz-technology-60gb-vertex-2-sataii-2-5--solid-state-drive--oczssd2-2vtxe60g--72K9.html?refs=361720000-4294946440-52750000

Be careful when getting such small drives because their actual capacity will be lower than the one listed in it's spec. For these two drives it's 37.2GB and 55Gb formatted according to reviews.

Advertisement