Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Copying" tattoos

Options
  • 11-06-2011 5:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭

As far as I know, there are 2 types of tattoo design - "flash" which is kind of generic, the sort you see in books of tattoo designs in parlours, and then custom designed stuff. Stop me if I'm wrong now, I have zero experience with this.
    My question is, what are the ethics of "copying" someones tattoo? I presume that there are 2 kinds - the person getting inked, and the artist. Does the tattoo artist have an "obligation" as it were to not copy what they know to be someone elses work? Does the person getting the tattoo need to ensure that they get permission to use a design that they've seen on someone elses body, either from the person who's been inked, or the artist that did it?
    It crossed my mind occasionally, but ever since my eyes landed on a photo of a a tattoo and I went "yes. YES. that's it." it's been bugging me. It's a beautiful design, a gorgeous piece of work. It's not very "custom" - it's an object found in nature, however it is beautifully executed.
    I would appreciate your thoughts, as if I'm getting myself tattoo'd, the least I'd want is the design not to come with bad karma because I've cogged it!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

No such thing as copyright I believe, for all you know the tattoo you see could be thought up by the person who got it, and the artist just put it on his/her skin.

I do however feel there is some sort of recognition needed, I have a tattoo which is based upon an Iron Maiden tribute band's name and if someone asks me where I got the idea I'll say that as well.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

I think you've answered your own question, O.P. In short, yes, I think it would be 'bad karma' to have a tattooist copy someone else's custom design (flash is another matter).

I would be pretty annoyed if I found out that someone had commissioned carbon-copies of the tattoos that I've invested time and effort in (as a collector). I know my tattooist would be even more peeved off.

No one will go to jail - but I think ethics do factor in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

Mike Tysons tattoo artist is currently suing Warner Brothers for copying his design in the hangover 2.

Mike Tysons tattoo artist is currently suing Warner Brothers for copying his design in the hangover 2.

Which makes no sense because Tyson himself is in the movie and it's blatantly clear (Although never actually mentioned) that Stu's tattoo is based on Tyson's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

Jelle1880 wrote: »
    Which makes no sense because Tyson himself is in the movie and it's blatantly clear (Although never actually mentioned) that Stu's tattoo is based on Tyson's.

Tyson paid for his tattoo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭dashboard_hula

Thanks for the replies - I'm not much of an artist at all, that's why I start off by looking at existing tattoos. Do you reckon if I bring a few ideas into an artist, would he/she be able to do up a design? I wouldn't mind paying extra. As I said, the tattoo I found is an object in nature (a feather) but the specific one that I found is a beautiful peacock feather I think - it might have even been on this board I saw it.

Thanks for the replies - I'm not much of an artist at all, that's why I start off by looking at existing tattoos. Do you reckon if I bring a few ideas into an artist, would he/she be able to do up a design? I wouldn't mind paying extra. As I said, the tattoo I found is an object in nature (a feather) but the specific one that I found is a beautiful peacock feather I think - it might have even been on this board I saw it.

If you bring it in and tell the artist you don't want it exactly the same (If you're afraid of copyright stuff) I'm sure they could draw up something similar but with a different (Perhaps a personal) touch.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

What do you like about the tattoo of the feather you've seen - is it very realistic, is it stylised somehow ... ? Whatever it is, take the idea to a good artist and they should be able to do you your own custom piece.

The 'copywright' issue, to me, is not really at the crux of whether or not someone should ask an artist to attempt to duplicate another artist's custom work exactly. Something can be unethical without being illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭dashboard_hula

I like that it's realistic, with lovely colours in it - greens and blacks with a lot of depth to it. I would imagine that a good lot of that effect would be down to the colour/quality of the ink and the skill of the tattoo artist.

I'll try to find a few samples and bring them into a guy that's recommended to me for a chat, thanks for the responses =)

Advertisement