Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eye of round beef advice

Options
  • 11-06-2011 5:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭

Looking for some advice, I've to cook a roast tomorrow and its an eye of the round bit of beef, 2.6kgs (5.5 pounds).

Not really used to cooking big slabs of meat like this as most of my cooking is just for me. Its for about 7 people.

I'm fairly ok with the rest of the roast, potatoes and some roast veg but a bit stumped by this big lump of meat.

So looking for advice on how to cook it, also just to say parents don't really like bloody meat so its gonna have to be well done. I've heard you should use some sort of acid as a marinade to help tenderise it, think I heard coke suggest too. Want to keep it simple enough anyway as I've a friends birthday tonight so may be a bit hungover.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,045 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Sorry to have to say this but in my experience, there is nothing you can do to prevent that cut of meat from being dry and cardboardy.

I think your best bet is to season it, oil it, wrap it in tinfoil and roast it in a low oven (150 degC) for about 3 hours or more. It will be dry but at least it will be tender. Cooked rare, it would be like old boots.

Or you could pot roast it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭dixiefly

Hope the hangover isnt too bad.

We have cooked it a number of times.

no need to marinade it etc.

1. Seal / brown it all around on a hot pan for about 10 - 15 mins.

2. Transfer to double layer of tin foil - 2 large pieces of tin foil, placed crossed ways to each other. Scrunch up the sides of the foil to make a type of boat.

3. Pour in a bout 3 quarter of a cup of liquid (half water, half red wine).

4. Competely seal the tinfoil. Make sure that there is no leak.

5. Place in hot over (200c) for about 30 mins.

6. Turn down oven to 150 for about 3 hours depending on the size.

7. Use the juices from tinfoil as base for gravy.

Works out nice for us & very lean.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,045 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

OP, please let us know how you cook this and how it turns out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

First off lots of thanks to dixiefly, this is exactly what i was looking for, everything i got when i googled was fancy recipes, I just wanted to cook it.

More or less followed the instructions, I was a bit short on time so I just put it back to 160 instead of 150, it was in for 3 hours altogether, and it was well cooked, still nice and juicy. Could even have been done for a little bit less if you wanted a bit pink on inside.

I think my only mistake was not leaving to rest long enough, when I was carving the juices were flowing out of it, but didn't seem as juicy on the plate, Big piece of meat like that could probably do with half an hour to rest I only gave it 10-15 mins.

Overall a good dish and lovely gravy made with the juices, I'm quite proud of myself never cooked a big bit of meat like that.

So thanks again dixie.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭dixiefly

Glad it went ok Cruizer, irionically we actually had it last Sunday. its very handy when you have to feed a reasonably big group. We needed to cook for some relatives that were unable to cook due to health issues etc & it worked out handyy and very tasty.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Cruizer, the reason it wasn't juicy on the plate is because it's too lean. If you're doing the same dinner again buy rib roast - there's marbling of fat through it which makes it much juicier and melt-in-the-mouth tender :)

Advertisement