Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does landlord or tenant pay for the tv licence?

Options
  • 11-06-2011 6:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭

Hi folks
    Just wondering how is liable to pay the tv licence in a house that is rented out to tenants?
    I(the landlord) did not include a house in the contents, the tenants brought their own tv, tenants advised me that a notice came to say my previous tv licence(I lived there last year) has now expired.Should I pay the tv licence for them or do they pay it themselves?I would really appreciate if someone can advise me or maybe knows of somewhere there is a list of things the landlords must pay for....thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭rebel10

Afaik, whoever owns the t.v. pays the fee. So if it is the tenants t.v. they pay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Whoever uses it pays, not who owns it

The tenants use it, you don't so they pay

Now if you left a TV and the tenants didn't want it and didn't want to pay the license, you would take the TV away. Doesn't apply here

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

No, if the landlord owns the tv the tenant still pays the licence. The person living with and using the tv (or not using it) pays the licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭dats_right

The law regarding Television Licences is now set out in the Broadcasting Act, which makes it an offence for any person to have in their possession a television set without a valid licence. Obviously it is the tenants who have the tv set in their possession so they are legally required to possess a valid licence.

The question of who pays for that licence is entirely a matter for agreement between the parties. It is commonly agreed at the outset in the lease. In my experieince it is rare that a landlord will agree to continue paying for it, but may do so to attract or keep a good tenant. What does the lease say here?

In practical terms, unless you want to receive a Court Summons, you should advise An Post that you are not in possession of a tv set at this premises.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

In practical terms, unless you want to receive a Court Summons, you should advise An Post that you are not in possession of a tv set at this premises.

Advise An Post that you no longer live at that address.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭not even wrong

]tenants advised me that a notice came to say my previous tv licence(I lived there last year) has now expired.Should I pay the tv licence for them or do they pay it themselves?
    If nobody buys a license it is the tenants, not you, who will end up in court. Therefore it is their responsibility to pay for the license.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

i would assume then, that if you move into a property as a tenant, and the landlord has provided a television for your use, which you do not wish to use, and therefore do not wish to pay the television licence, that you should ask the landlord to remove the television (since it is possession of a television capable of receiving signal that dictates whether you need a licence or not). and i am also wondering what you would do if the landlord refuses/insists that the television must stay in the premises (for whatever reason, not come across this yet, but).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Icepick

hdowney wrote: »
    i would assume then, that if you move into a property as a tenant, and the landlord has provided a television for your use, which you do not wish to use, and therefore do not wish to pay the television licence, that you should ask the landlord to remove the television (since it is possession of a television capable of receiving signal that dictates whether you need a licence or not). and i am also wondering what you would do if the landlord refuses/insists that the television must stay in the premises (for whatever reason, not come across this yet, but).
    Discuss it before you move in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

Icepick wrote: »
    Discuss it before you move in.

Precisely. I let my apartment out with a TV, but the tenants had their own, so I took out the one that was there. Regarding the TV Licence, I leave it up to them. I have no idea if they have one.

From the An Post site..

"Under Section 148 of the Broadcasting Act 2009, it is a prosecutable offence to be found in possession of an unlicensed television set. Fines for an unlicensed television set can be up to €1,000 for a first offence and €2,000 for subsequent offences. "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 clare130

Terms and conditions
    1. Any person in occupancy at an address where a television set is held is legally responsible for the licensing of the television set regardless of ownership of either the premises or the set itself.
    2. Under Section 148 of the Broadcasting Act 2009, it is a prosecutable offence to be in possession of an unlicensed television set. Fines for a first offence can be up to €1,000 and €2,000 for subsequent offences.

• Advertisement
Advertisement