Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pub with music / trad session?

Options
  • 11-06-2011 6:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭

Hi, I've got friends coming from Belgium to Galway in two weeks time; they would like to be recommended a good pub, if possible with traditional music or such, to spend the evening... I know their group is booked at the Clybaun Hotel, however I doubt there's such a pub in the area? Maybe in the city center rather? Any suggestion welcome... Cheers! :)
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Boo Radley

deliege wrote: »
    Hi, I've got friends coming from Belgium to Galway in two weeks time; they would like to be recommended a good pub, if possible with traditional music or such, to spend the evening... I know their group is booked at the Clybaun Hotel, however I doubt there's such a pub in the area? Maybe in the city center rather? Any suggestion welcome... Cheers! :)

The Crane Bar is usually good for the trad session, Murty Rabbits has nights of music too. Tig Cóilí is one of the more touristy spots that usually has trad sessions, mind you it can get pretty jammers in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭deliege

Thank you Boo Radley... are trad sessions usually advertised somewhere online or not? (maybe a very stupid question, I know, but I'm really not familiar with the pub culture!)

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Boo Radley

deliege wrote: »
    Thank you Boo Radley... are trad sessions usually advertised somewhere online or not? (maybe a very stupid question, I know, but I'm really not familiar with the pub culture!)

To be honest I'm not really sure. Only ever stumbled upon a session, it's not something I generally seek out. Maybe google the listed pubs and see what is happening. Should at least find a phone number to contact the bar for information the old fashioned way.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,094 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Tig Coili always put up session times on their Facebook page.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,790 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

try Entertainment.ie I think they have gig listings

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,888 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

On-line sessions listing for the whole world: http://www.thesession.org/sessions/
    (Web 2.0 crowd-sourced info ... but set up well before such a thing became trendy).

Earlier thread with Galway-specific info:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=70018204

And here's a little secret: Look at the programme on http://www.galwaysessions.com/ The specific musicians playing at each place/time change, but in general the pubs listed have session at those times every week, not just during the week featured in the glossy brochure. (But, shhhh, don't tell the tourists who come for this very special week :-) )

Thanks a lot to all for all these useful information! I'll transmit it - and keep track of it for my own use too probably! :):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Terrier

the thatch oranmore on thursday night.. can't get more irish than that!

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Funk It

Taaffes Bar across from Tig Coili as well, can have a trad tour...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,015 ✭✭✭squonk

I've heard the Western Hotel recommended too, as a quieter session. That's on a Thursday night. I'm hoping to make it down this week as I haven't been there yet.

The Crane is good but I like my Trad and while it's excellent, the place is so packed it's hard to hear the music half the time.

Taafes is great, lovely pint of Guinness there but the sessions are a bit 'sing-songey' in the evenings so it depends on what you're looking for. Your guests might appreciate the songs. I'm a choons kind of guy!

• Advertisement

Thanks again to all! :)

Advertisement