Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mouse/Mice

• 11-06-2011 6:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 146 ✭✭munsterman2008

I have one at least, spotted twice in the last week. Thrown out 4 mousetraps in the kitchen (which is where he was seen last occasion).
    Just opened the a bottom cupboard in the kitchen and found burger buns looking half eaten, presume it was them they are only there a few days. Theres a whole at the back of that cabinet where the washing machine plugs in.

God, im at my wits end. Someone offer me brilliant advice? (Rentokill coming in for a professional job would be e250) :(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Traps, and chocolate or peanut butter. They love the sweet stuff. Peanut butter works better because it's sticky.

Or you could do it humanely....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 146 ✭✭munsterman2008

I have three traps set up in the kitchen now and one in the cabinet where the burger buns are getting mysteriously picked at. all with peanut butter on dem.

anything else? i don't have time for humanely..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,691 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Block the hole at the back of the cabinet, and any others you can find - mice can get through amazingly small holes. Then just keep putting down traps, eventually you will get rid of them. Needless to say, remove anything edible from the cupboard and clean up crumbs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Water with sugar in it then add a little cement. They eat it then if the cement sets you have mouse shaped stones to throw away. Be so cool if it worked.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

I never heard that way Seany.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭jayboi

seanybiker wrote: »
    Water with sugar in it then add a little cement. They eat it then if the cement sets you have mouse shaped stones to throw away. Be so cool if it worked.

Seanybiker wins the most evil reply anyway thats right up there with kidnap their parents and hold them ransom until they leave.

Why not just get a cat?

But strange to have mice problem in a house in the Summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Get the little boxes with poison in them. You can get it in Woodies. Get about 15 of them and put a good long line of poison in each one.

I saw this working in a massive infestation (100s of mice), took 2 weeks, never saw a mouse again. Had to be re-done every March and October.

I dont know where they go to die buy you wont see them.

STIG83 wrote: »
    But strange to have mice problem in a house in the Summer.

My friends are having a problem in an estate on the Old Tramore rd, they are building further down the road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

When putting down traps put them in beside the walls/presses perpendicular to the wall. They don't like running across big open spaces so tend to scurry around the edges. Or do what my dad did a few years ago and kill one with my shoe >.<

• Advertisement

Some dose having them in the house!! The worst we had to put up with at home a few years back was a rat in the attic, many sleepless nights I had with it running up and down the length of the house!! Little fcuker!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭deisemum

The thing with mice is that they're not loners, they have big families ;)

They freak me out, even dead ones and logic goes out the window. I still have flashbacks to the time I put my hand in my handbag and a mouse ran out.:eek:

Cats are good at getting rid of them but some like to bring you presents. ;)

Id freak if I was you deisemum!! One in your handbag?! Urgh!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,691 ✭✭✭✭looksee

deisemum wrote: »
    The thing with mice is that they're not loners, they have big families ;)

They freak me out, even dead ones and logic goes out the window. I still have flashbacks to the time I put my hand in my handbag and a mouse ran out.:eek:

Cats are good at getting rid of them but some like to bring you presents. ;)

We've always had cats and they have all been totally useless at getting rid of mice. One particular cat used go and catch them and bring them in through the open window in the summer, alive, so you had to catch the dratted thing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 869 ✭✭✭honeybadger

the fried fat of a rasher put in a trap works well to so iv found from trying it out and also +1 on the chocolate

plus one on rasher fat too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

If none of those work just burn the house down.

It's the only guaranteed solution.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

best advice is loads of traps, should get them after a couple weeks. Also, go around house and make sure there are no gaps for the lil [EMAIL="b@stards"]b@stards[/EMAIL] to get in. They love it around back of washing machines, water pipes which are nice and warm. Putting on one of those noise repellants works i think also to keep them out but apparently having it on the whole time makes it less effective.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭decies

Woke up around 2 am one morning, heard rustling of paper and found a mouse eating a easter egg on the spare bed opposite me!!!

decies wrote: »
    Woke up around 2 am one morning, heard rustling of paper and found a mouse eating a easter egg on the spare bed opposite me!!!

Lovely!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

happened me too except it was a kit kat, i was gutted about losing the Kit kat

Me too, my bloody flat mate left chocolate on my locker, I hate chocolate. I woke and heard something, didn't know what it was then the little fecker made a run out again to get another bite....2ft from my head!!

I screamed the house down.

Moved out the next day, never forget the look on the guy working in Hutchinsons when I gave that as a reason for moving out. His look just said 'So what'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

Airsoft Tommy Gun.

If you're going to kill them, do it with style.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭wobbles

dayshah wrote: »
    Airsoft Tommy Gun.

Ive done this with a rat. Be prepared to hear it scream. It was that or posion and posion is much worse. Rats/mice feel sick with the poison and tend to go indoors to die.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 146 ✭✭munsterman2008

Good news. Put out the traps Saturday. Caught one overnight. Set it in the press I spoke of before, reset it. Found another one in the same trap this morning. So defo two been around, wonder if I will catch more. I hope this is the end of it..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭Elmidena

I've a kitty that loves to play fetch and often harrasses someone by jumping up on someone when they're sitting watching telly etc (ie not paying attention to the cat) and she'll often drop the bit of tat or sweet wrapper for you to throw for her, getting a bit more insistent with headbutts until you give in. Sometimes she even puts said object in your hand.

On this occasion, Mum was having an afternoon "checking the inside of her eyelids" when the cat jumped up and started being insistent. A few groggy minutes later she realised that instead of a bit of foil from the inside of a ciggie box, it was a chewed up mouse being nudged deeper into Mum's chest for her to throw :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭stargirl.gra

My friends cat brought a live mouse into her conservatory the other day. I spotted it so my friend scruffed the cat and I picked the little mouse up and brought him outside. I was delighted with myself:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,574 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

mice = no rats. They wont co-habit.

Live and let live imo, rats would be worse

Sunshine! wrote: »
    I've a kitty that loves to play fetch and often harrasses someone by jumping up on someone when they're sitting watching telly etc (ie not paying attention to the cat) and she'll often drop the bit of tat or sweet wrapper for you to throw for her, getting a bit more insistent with headbutts until you give in. Sometimes she even puts said object in your hand.

On this occasion, Mum was having an afternoon "checking the inside of her eyelids" when the cat jumped up and started being insistent. A few groggy minutes later she realised that instead of a bit of foil from the inside of a ciggie box, it was a chewed up mouse being nudged deeper into Mum's chest for her to throw :pac:

Oh jaysus but that would freak me out, I cannot even look at them on tv let alone see them without freaking out.

Years ago my cat was prancing around the corridor early one morning and I didn't think anything of it. It just so happened that it was the one morning my husband wanted something that I had in my handbag so I picked my handbag up off the corridor floor sat on my bed put my hand in the bag and a mouse ran out. I screamed like someone being stabbed and my husband thought I was being attacked and came tearing up the corridor and saw the mouse at the edge of the bed. He got the cat to take the mouse outside.

The cat had brought the mouse in earlier and that's what the cat had been doing playing cat and mouse and the mouse found sanctury in my handbag which was a flapover type which I'll never have again.

The only positive thing about the whole experience was the fact that it was the one morning my husband wanted something I had in my bag, possibly money :rolleyes: otherwise I'd have gone off to work not realising there was a mouse in my handbag until I got on the tube and opened my handbag to get a book. I dread to think the commotion the mouse could have caused on the tube.

I had screamed so much I strained my vocal cords and had to whisper for a couple of day. Even now nearly 20 years later it gives me the shudders.

• Advertisement

dayshah wrote: »
    Airsoft Tommy Gun.

My father-in-law used a rifle to shoot rats. God only knows what people coming in the Dunmore road would have thought if they spotted him with the rifle stuck out an upstairs window and shooting the rat.

Advertisement