Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mouse/Mice

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

My friends cat brought a live mouse into her conservatory the other day. I spotted it so my friend scruffed the cat and I picked the little mouse up and brought him outside. I was delighted with myself:D

You not afraid of mice then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

What's the disease situation regarding mice?

I know rats carry nasty stuff, do mice too? I'd expect they carry something.

dayshah wrote: »
    What's the disease situation regarding mice?

I know rats carry nasty stuff, do mice too? I'd expect they carry something.
    Not sure to be honest, but both are still dirty little creatures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭wobbles

You can get Leptospirosis (also known as Weil's disease) from rat urine. Its dangerous as you get flu like symptoms an just shrug it off as just being sick. Not sure if you can get it from mouse pee though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭Elmidena

I'm sure you can get lots of nasties like E. Coli from mice, as if you think about all the stuff they're running around in, then running across something you'll eat or handle or YOU (woke up to one scratching and nibbling my shin once when I dozed off on the couch, then after a wtf and ewwwwww moment I grabbed one of my cats and the mouse got Mumm-Ra treatment >=D )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭stargirl.gra

Leptospirosis and lyme disease are most common rodent zoonosis but I work with animals and to be honest you can get lyme disease from ticks and even lepto from dogs. Thats what we vaccinate them against every year! I washed my hands well after picking up the mouse :) when i was doing my leaving cert I woke up one night to mouse poo on the pillow next to my head! My capets had been taken up to be replaced and the mouse came up through the hole the radiator goes into in the floor. I looked around the room for the culprit and no lie he was hanging onto a bulb in a lamp in my room trying to hide under the lampshade. You wouldnt see it in a cartoon! Very cute but also annoying as they are noisy things!

• Get a cat :)
    Most cats are excellent mouser's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭Big Lar

Good news. Put out the traps Saturday. Caught one overnight. Set it in the press I spoke of before, reset it. Found another one in the same trap this morning. So defo two been around, wonder if I will catch more. I hope this is the end of it..

Anymore since ?

I was convinced 2 weeks ago i had something in my room when i was in bed, could hear something moving around, i refused to sleep in there and went to the spare bedroom for 2 nights.
    I set a trap and all but got nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 146 ✭✭munsterman2008

Unfortunately yes. Went into the kitchen yesterday and opened the cabinet with the burger buns, as is my habbit now. A small mouse came jumping out of it i must have surprised em, then he ran under the washing machine.
    I set a third trap in the same cabinet and later in the evening opened again there he was lying in the burger bun packaging staying completely still presumably in the hope I wouldnt see em. I closed the cabinet again hoping he would stagger into one of the three traps, opened again 30 seconds later and he had vanished. I have checked the cabinet around 4 times since then between last night and this morning and he hasnt been caught.

God I hope he's the last one and I catch him. Might buy more traps today and that ultrasonic repeller thingy.

• Advertisement

Unfortunately yes. Went into the kitchen yesterday and opened the cabinet with the burger buns, as is my habbit now. A small mouse came jumping out of it i must have surprised em, then he ran under the washing machine.
    I set a third trap in the same cabinet and later in the evening opened again there he was lying in the burger bun packaging staying completely still presumably in the hope I wouldnt see em. I closed the cabinet again hoping he would stagger into one of the three traps, opened again 30 seconds later and he had vanished. I have checked the cabinet around 4 times since then between last night and this morning and he hasnt been caught.
    God I hope he's the last one and I catch him. Might buy more traps today and that ultrasonic repeller thingy.

He could be like that mouse from Mousehunt!! :)

STIG83 wrote: »
    He could be like that mouse from Mousehunt!! :)

How cute are they when they think you cant see them. But have you managed to see how he's getting into the press?is it a norweigan corner press by any chance? We have ours blocked as there was a piece open in the back and mice were getting in. Also where a microwave goes above the oven, the little circle cut in the back for the plug to go through is where they get in. Got two cats now so no more mice.

i dunno about cute but the thing was so still staring at me haha.

anyhoo he's dead now, hey presto found em in one of the (three) mousetraps in that cabinet today.

Its an odd shaped cabinet kind of curves around the corner of the room and yea theres a square shaped hole in it and i can c the plug for the washing machine thru it. i presume thats where they been coming thru for the burger buns (should i keep dem there a couple more days or get rid?)

what a journey this has been..

What we did was we blocked up all the holes in the presses to stop them getting in (this was our first year in house before we got cats) we put poison down and voila the problem ceased to exist.

awh jesus christ. went along and checked traps again few mins ago another dead one in a trap. lookin at d dead one and doesnt another sprint from the burger buns under the washing machine (thats the 5th so far). id love to say dis is the last one but i'm proven wrong every time.

theres no point me covering the hole in the cabinet as it just leads to back of the cabinet which has access from where the washing machine is. bottom line is thats stil part of my kitchen so der not coming in, but are in. besides, that hole in the cabinet is a godsend. they are all going thru it and getting caught in d tra[ps in der

What we did was we blocked up all the holes in the presses to stop them getting in (this was our first year in house before we got cats) we put poison down and voila the problem ceased to exist.

Any problems with a dead smell rising after ye poisoned them? When we had the rat in the attic at home after we poisoned it there was a lovely smell starting to rise so my brother went up to the attic (no way in hell was i doing it!!)
    He found the dead body, lucky enough it wasnt down in between the wall cavity!! and it was before Xmas so imagine sitting down and having the turkey and Mr Dead Rat smelling the house out!!

Well theres the 5th one caught just now. Thats three in one day, good hunting.

p.s. yea thats my worry about the poison, im hesitant to use it heard they run and hide to die and smell up d place.. **** dat

Well theres the 5th one caught just now. Thats three in one day, good hunting.

p.s. yea thats my worry about the poison, im hesitant to use it heard they run and hide to die and smell up d place.. **** dat

I be weary of using poison in a house, just keep setting traps and hopefully you have no more.

Agreed my friend. Pray for me.

Agreed my friend. Pray for me.
    My fingers are crossed!!

• Advertisement

No problems with smell of dead mice. If you wana get rid of the mice you need to block the holes simple as. You cant lure the mice and all their family into your press one by one to kill them. Block the food source and if anything they will go elsewhere.

Just spotted another in the press. Thats the 6th one.

Stargirl I don't think they are coming from another house. blocking the hole will just make them come thru the back of the washing machine. moving them burger buns will just spread them thru the house and stop spearheading them thru the valley of mousetraps around the buns which have killed all 5 so far..?

Nobodys suggesting they are coming from another house lol. You have mice we all get mice and imo feeding them burger buns probably isn't helping.

whats the point of blocking them out of that press so when they will just go out the washing machine part and god knows where else.

don't you at least think its concentrating them into a easier to handle area?

6th one caught. thats four today.. sheesh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

I'm a grown man but I'd genuinely break down in tears if I was near a mouse or a rat :pac: I just cannot stand them at all!

If there's that many mice coming in I'd nearly bite the bullet and pay for the professionals to come in. They might also be able to advise how they're continuing to come in etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

whats the point of blocking them out of that press so when they will just go out the washing machine part and god knows where else.

don't you at least think its concentrating them into a easier to handle area?

To catch a mouse you first have to think like a mouse.

If you were a mouse, which would you be more likely to enter. A kitchen press with a smell of food, or a washing machine.

Is there something I'm missing here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭Big Lar

Would you consider learning a few tunes on the tin whistle and doing what this fella did ?

17-06-2011%2012-50-41.jpg

Are they gone Munsterman?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Paully D wrote: »
    I'm a grown man but I'd genuinely break down in tears if I was near a mouse or a rat :pac: I just cannot stand them at all!

If there's that many mice coming in I'd nearly bite the bullet and pay for the professionals to come in. They might also be able to advise how they're continuing to come in etc.

Yep I'm with you, I'd move out then pay Rentakill. SO much so I was parked behind one of the vans today outside the cinema and I took down their phone number!!

Can't believe it s a few hundred quid though, I thought €50 - €70.

Advertisement