Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5 week old puppies

• 11-06-2011 6:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭

My dog fell pregnant unexpectedly and had a litter of six. There are 5 weeks old and are starting on food, the problem is my dog wont stay in the pen with them. She always gets out! My family think that its bad for the puppies and i wat to know should i be worried. All the puppies are healthy as far as i can see

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,798 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Mother is most likely starting to wean the puppies,quite common for her to leave them from now on,she will find her own way in and out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 616 ✭✭✭LucyBliss

As I recall when my dog had pups, once they started to find their legs, Rosie spent a lot of time getting the hell out of the crate and trying to find a spot of her own to lie down. Inevitably, they'd all crawl out and make their way towards her for a bit of grub. One evening, she was feeding them, decided to get up and stretch her legs and walked across the kitchen floor. One of the pups was determined to hang on for dear life and was dragged along on it's back. The pup was in no distress, just sucking away while Rosie tried to literally walk it off. When eventually the pup did let go, it looked around with a very confused expression and wandered back to the crate for a nap with its littermates.

It's completely normal for the dam to start leaving them be at this stage. So long as they're healthy, gaining weight and active, I wouldn't worry. It's a good sign.

Any cute puppy pics for us to ooh and aww over? *looks hopeful* What breed are they?

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Lexii307

LucyBliss wrote: »
    As I recall when my dog had pups, once they started to find their legs, Rosie spent a lot of time getting the hell out of the crate and trying to find a spot of her own to lie down. Inevitably, they'd all crawl out and make their way towards her for a bit of grub. One evening, she was feeding them, decided to get up and stretch her legs and walked across the kitchen floor. One of the pups was determined to hang on for dear life and was dragged along on it's back. The pup was in no distress, just sucking away while Rosie tried to literally walk it off. When eventually the pup did let go, it looked around with a very confused expression and wandered back to the crate for a nap with its littermates.

It's completely normal for the dam to start leaving them be at this stage. So long as they're healthy, gaining weight and active, I wouldn't worry. It's a good sign.

Any cute puppy pics for us to ooh and aww over? *looks hopeful* What breed are they?

Thats what i thought. SHe goes back in eventually while they all just walk around confused :D They seem to be in good shape. Never had a litter of puppies before so was a bit nervous when i was told we had 4 puppies and then another two the day after! Theyre barking, growling and one that ive nicknamed fighter (never takes no for an answer :D) is running and likes to playfight. A total of 4 girls and 3 boys :D We believe them to be jack russel/springer spaniel but someone said they look like staffies. Only 1 little girl i call sweety looks like a staffy

Here are some ones i think from 4 weeks

And i cant forget this little cuttie :D There all a bit dirty from where the were in the soil but were moving theme to a sheltered grass are that easily x5 bigger!

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭KingEnda

Congrats on the beautiful babies, if the mother is starting to move out ye better start looking for new homes for them

• Advertisement

KingEnda wrote: »
    Congrats on the beautiful babies, if the mother is starting to move out ye better start looking for new homes for them

Yep, we have a few interested people and my dads friends definately wants one of the boys for his son. A friend of the family also works in the GSPCA and is willing to put the pictures of them up on the website to help rehome them to good people so it looks promising :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

They're getting seriously big, grow up so fast

In no time they won't be puppies but hungry young dogs ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 616 ✭✭✭LucyBliss

Oh, I'm in love! *is totally that nutjob who squees over pictures of cute animals* They are adorable!!
    SHe goes back in eventually while they all just walk around confused

And you can't blame her for taking a breather really. No matter what the species, every mother needs a time out from hungry little mouths or little creatures climbing over them for the hell of it!

Ya i know they run around like mad and play with mom and eachother :D

Advertisement