Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ignorant Aul' Wans

• 11-06-2011 7:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

I just got off a train where I had the misfortune of being subjected to the ins and outs of a 2-hour conversation between two "Aul' Wans". Sadly my book wasn't engaging enough to block out their nattering. The conversation progressed from their mutual satisfaction with the sh*t-storm that's been brewing around David Norris' and his presidential hopes, on to their disillusionment with society and its more accepting approach to gay people, which according to one of them is "sick" and "any intelligent person can see that". Then the fact that hotels and B&Bs no longer quiz their clientele on their bedroom activities or marital statuses was “woed” over.

Things took a less objectionable turn after that opening 20 minutes and I became more successful at tuning them out, though I do recall the downsides of today's youth being over-educated propping up. My main reason for the thread is that I'm now wondering if anyone else sometimes gets the feeling that maybe Irish society will take a progressive step forward in a couple of decades when, how shall I put this, Father Time undertakes an inevitable culling.

Opinions, anyone? Obviously I’m being harsh as I can remember my own grandmother making some dubious comments before she died, which I was willing to overlook. Also, I know, eavesdropping is wrong, but sometimes you don’t have much choice in the matter.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

buy an mp3 player and decent headphones and never will you be subjected to bullsh1t talk on public transport ever again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83 ✭✭kc87

why didnt you move to a different seat .:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Cill Dara Abu

kc87 wrote: »
    why didnt you move seats.:confused:
    Maybe there was no empty seats left:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83 ✭✭kc87

Maybe there was no empty seats left:rolleyes:

well if they where that bad i would have stood up then :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 40 SWK

A nice person took the liberty of falling asleep in the aisle seat beside me. Also, I had a bunch of bags. The perfect storm!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Two aul wans dont like gays and students. Who cares?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

It's just the way they were brought up, and I just say leave them to it - they won't be around for very long. Just thank your lucky stars the newer generation are far more accepting.

My grandmother believed people who separated or god forbid divorced were "bad", and that a woman enduring spousal abuse " brought it on herself and deserves it"!!!

A cousin that was born outside marriage was not counted as her grandchild :eek:

Anyway, she passed away a few years ago as did her opinions - we still reel in shock at some of her beliefs when they crop up in conversation!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

they can give out about the young generation and all the gays they want.

the vast majority of child abuse cases and the magdelene laundry's abuse happened in their generation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Rds1989

SWK wrote: »
    I just got off a train where I had the misfortune of being subjected to the ins and outs of a 2-hour conversation between two "Aul' Wans". Sadly my book wasn't engaging enough to block out their nattering. The conversation progressed from their mutual satisfaction with the sh*t-storm that's been brewing around David Norris' and his presidential hopes, on to their disillusionment with society and its more accepting approach to gay people, which according to one of them is "sick" and "any intelligent person can see that". Then the fact that hotels and B&Bs no longer quiz their clientele on their bedroom activities or marital statuses was “woed” over.

Things took a less objectionable turn after that opening 20 minutes and I became more successful at tuning them out, though I do recall the downsides of today's youth being over-educated propping up. My main reason for the thread is that I'm now wondering if anyone else sometimes gets the feeling that maybe Irish society will take a progressive step forward in a couple of decades when, how shall I put this, Father Time undertakes an inevitable culling.

Opinions, anyone? Obviously I’m being harsh as I can remember my own grandmother making some dubious comments before she died, which I was willing to overlook. Also, I know, eavesdropping is wrong, but sometimes you don’t have much choice in the matter

Why cant you just ignore them rather than wishing death on them. That was a common opinion for people of their ilk at the time, it doesn't make them bad as people. Btw im a 21yo college student

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Why didnt you throw momma from the train?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

did you drop the hand?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭LighterGuy

orourkeda wrote: »
    Two aul wans dont like gays and students. Who cares?

Then they'd most likely kill a gay student :pac:

Ah just two foolish older women. Out of touch with reality. But just like everything else, you cant tell your average person they're wrong or behind with the times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

CatFromHue wrote: »
    they can give out about the young generation and all the gays they want.

the vast majority of child abuse cases and the magdelene laundry's abuse happened in their generation.

What? :confused:

LighterGuy wrote: »
    Then they'd most likely kill a gay student :pac:

Ah just two foolish older women. Out of touch with reality. But just like everything else, you cant tell your average person they're wrong or behind with the times.

How can disliking someone be considered "behind the times"

Rds1989 wrote: »
    Why cant you just ignore them rather than wishing death on them. That was a common opinion for people of their ilk at the time, it doesn't make them bad as people. Btw im a 21yo college student

I'm not wishing death on them it's something that happens to all of us. I'm just putting it out there that maybe it won't be a bad thing when some of those opinions, and the people who hold them, have gone bye-bye. The first objection I covered already.

OP said these aul'wans think they being gay is sick. last time i checked its not the 1950s :confused:

Why are people shocked by homophobia and prejudice in general?

OP said these aul'wans think they being gay is sick. last time i checked its not the 1950s :confused:

The last time I checked some people still dislike gays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Dunny

Shouldnt have to move.

Live and let live man.
    If some bloke is gay, its his choice.

I'm straight, i dont mind if someone is gay. As long as I dont get some gay bloke coming onto me...I dont give a fu*k what a persons sexuality is.

• Advertisement

The last time I checked some people still dislike gays.

I wasn't shocked. My reaction was more like a series of bemused double-takes.

Clearly you have similar viewpoints, which again doesn't surprise me as I'm fairly in touch with reality, but I'd question whether your are as you don't seem to understand that many people see such opinions as being outdated.

Live and let live man.

I'm straight, i dont mind if someone is gay. As long as I dont get some gay bloke coming onto me...I dont give a fu*k what a persons sexuality is.

I have no interest in anyone elses sexualit. Neither do I care if someone dislikes another persons sexulity

I wasn't shocked. My reaction was more like a series of bemused double-takes.

Clearly you have similar viewpoints, which again doesn't surprise me as I'm fairly in touch with reality, but I'd question whether your are as you don't seem to understand that many people see such opinions as being outdated.

I'm not a gay basher but if you want to pretend that Homophobia doesnt exist then go ahead.

I have no interest in anyone elses sexualit. Neither do I care if someone dislikes another persons sexulity

Good for you
    i'll start working on your blue peter badge :pac:

Good for you
    i'll start working on your blue peter badge :pac:

My life is now complete

I'm not a gay basher but if you want to pretend that Homophobia doesnt exist then go ahead.

Yep, precisely what I'm doing. This post was actually intended as a shocking exposé of the existence of homophobia in Irish society. Come on.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭afterhours

the worst is when they get racist.. unreal.. i wanna just hide my head under a pillow and let them banter.. some of the ****e that comes outta their mouths.. unbelievable.

Yep, precisely what I'm doing. This post was actually intended as a shocking exposé of the existence of homophobia in Irish society. Come on.

What? Youre pretending that homophobia doesnt exist? Sonds like you need to come on.

afterhours wrote: »
    the worst is when they get racist.. unreal.. i wanna just hide my head under a pillow and let them banter.. some of the ****e that comes outta their mouths.. unbelievable.

Why? Do you want to do that every time you hear something you dont like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

I live abroad a lot and am utterly sickened by the racism, xenophobia and homophobia one hears all the time in Ireland nowadays. Likewise Islamophobia. It's just like decades ago when the Jews were supposedly to blame for everything, and we all know what that scapegoating led to. Now it's everyone but ourselves who are to blame. Not so long ago, I visited another Irish forum - better not name it - and saw, among other things, a call to have all Traveller women sterilised, all Roma exterminated, and so on. I know freedom of speech is important, but there have to be some limits, and surely it's not good for even the haters if they let the hate take control of their lives. You'd think no Irish people ever turned up on foreign shores. I'm a newbie here, but glad I haven't seen any sick stuff like in the other place.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Opinions, anyone? Obviously I’m being harsh as I can remember my own grandmother making some dubious comments before she died, which I was willing to overlook. Also, I know, eavesdropping is wrong, but sometimes you don’t have much choice in the matter.
    Did you say anything to them when you got the chance, seeing as they irritated you?

What? Youre pretending that homophobia doesnt exist? Sonds like you need to come on.

You don't understand simple sarcasm and seem incapable of comprehending the whole point of my OP. Your troll quotient just went through the roof. Good day!

Ellis Dee wrote: »
    I live abroad a lot and am utterly sickened by the racism, xenophobia and homophobia one hears all the time in Ireland nowadays. Likewise Islamophobia. It's just like decades ago when the Jews were supposedly to blame for everything, and we all know what that scapegoating led to. Now it's everyone but ourselves who are to blame. Not so long ago, I visited another Irish forum - better not name it - and saw, among other things, a call to have all Traveller women sterilised, all Roma exterminated, and so on. I know freedom of speech is important, but there have to be some limits, and surely it's not good for even the haters if they let the hate take control of their lives. You'd think no Irish people ever turned up on foreign shores. I'm a newbie here, but glad I haven't seen any sick stuff like in the other place.:)

Is the fact that irish people are racist news to you?

blueser wrote: »
    Did you say anything to them when you got the chance, seeing as they irritated you?

Ah, no. I took the passive-aggresive way out and went home to post it on the internet. I think saying anything to someone in their mid to late sixties is almost always going to be an exercise in futility. They'll be gone soon-ish :o.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

What? :confused:

my point is that alot of older people give out about how things are today and portray things as always being better in their day.

the child abuse scandals and the magdalene laundry's happened in their time. so maybe not everything was as perfect as they think back then.

• Advertisement

Ah, no. I took the passive-aggresive way out and went home to post it on the internet. I think saying anything to someone in their mid to late sixties is almost always going to be an exercise in futility. They'll be gone soon-ish :o.

Nice. Don't argue with the person who offended you by expressing an opinion you didnt lik. They'll be dead soon

Is the fact that irish people are racist news to you?

No, it's not news. Some have always been; it's a function of pig-ignorance and loserdom. But it has become far more widespread and virulent in recent times. And there is far greater acceptance of it. A redeeming feature is, however, that few if any politicians seem to be playing the racist card. They have their failings, that's for sure, but at least they have not cultivated that vice so far.:)

my point is that alot of older people give out about how things are today and portray things as always being better in their day.

the child abuse scandals and the magdalene laundry's happened in their time. so maybe not everything was as perfect as they think back then.

What has the magdalene laundries got to do with disliking gay people.

Ellis Dee wrote: »
    No, it's not news. But it has become far more widespread and virulent in recent times. And there is far greater acceptance of it. A redeeming feature is, however, that few if any politicians seem to be playing the racist card. They have their failings, that's for sure, but at least they have not cultivated that vice so far.:)

Prejudice is always there. One just needs to scratch the surface. Anyone who says they are not prejudiced in some manner is a liar.

Yeah, wasn't sure what you were getting at with the first post but you have a point. There usually is a pair of rose-tinted glasses to hand. Usually a lot of harkening back to the times when the Church was number 1.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,530 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

You can have no end of fun by winding up these feckers. Next time try ringing your gay lover on your mobile (you don't actually need one for this trick).
    They'll either go quiet because they're passive homophobes or they'll tell you how disgusting you are thereby presenting even further opportunities to piss them off.

Gob$hites are best used for the entertainment of the rest of us.

Prejudice is always there. One just needs to scratch the surface. Anyone who says they are not prejudiced in some manner is a liar.

You are right. What matters is how that prejudice is controlled or indulged, preferably controlled. That is why we have equality laws and our country has signed up to human rights conventions, and so on. People who call for, say, all Traveller women to be sterilised or for some or other ethnic group to be "eradicated" are, to say the least, psychopaths, or else very seriously sick. And the fact that things like that can be posted on a moderated Internet site indicates that perhaps the sickness of race hate has not been fully contained in Ireland.:( On the other hand, it could be argued that it is just those sickos' way of venting their frustration and bolstering their own self-esteem, and that they might do actual harm if they didn't do it that way. I don't have any answer to that, and I wonder does anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭TommyTippee

They're dead right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,140 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Unfortunately many of the thick, bigoted and intolerant old fuckwits will have made certain that their bigoted intolerant fuckwitery has been passed on before they die. You only have to read some of the posts on Boards to prove that. If the older ones would shut the fuck up, there might be a chance of some of their crap not getting through to the next generation.

Unfortunately there's nothing to be done in a situation like that, except hope that they're not influencing any people around them.

My mother comes out with stuff sometimes that makes me wonder how I managed to avoid picking it up. I'm comfortable enough with her to give out to her and try to understand where her ideas come from, but if there's anything I've learned from trying to find out her reasoning, it's that there is no reasoning behind it. It's just fact in her mind. When someone is raised with racist/homophobic views, there's just no talking to them, especially when they're past 50.

Assuming I live to old age, I know my life will fall apart the day my mother dies. I can't even imagine how devastating it will be. I think the OP's right though. So while I don't hope that everyone with racist/homophobic views dies, I do hope that when the time comes, their views die with them. Because once someone picks up those views, you just can't explain them away with any amount of rationale.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Live and let live man.

I 100% agree with you!
    But .......sexuality isint a choice:eek: !
    Not to worry though your not the only person who dosent realist that!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Unfortunately there's nothing to be done in a situation like that, except hope that they're not influencing any people around them.

My mother comes out with stuff sometimes that makes me wonder how I managed to avoid picking it up. I'm comfortable enough with her to give out to her and try to understand where her ideas come from, but if there's anything I've learned from trying to find out her reasoning, it's that there is no reasoning behind it. It's just fact in her mind. When someone is raised with racist/homophobic views, there's just no talking to them, especially when they're past 50.

Assuming I live to old age, I know my life will fall apart the day my mother dies. I can't even imagine how devastating it will be. I think the OP's right though. So while I don't hope that everyone with racist/homophobic views dies, I do hope that when the time comes, their views die with them. Because once someone picks up those views, you just can't explain them away with any amount of rationale.

I think you have said it best ;)
    I feel the exact same way with my mother somtimes! But you explained it better than i ever could!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

I have nothing against aul wans and their views, but I wish to fcuk they would keep their wind to themselves.

I was in Tesco Sandymount today mooching around the biscuit aisle, when these two auld wans shuffled in and took up position around the Foxe's Ambers section.

You know the type, fairly heavily tweeded, walk through you, instead of around you and blocked the already narrow aisle up.Both pulling wheeled shopping bags.

Cnuts were wittering on about catfood,if I recall correctly ,and how 'Fluff' doesn't like GoCat.

Anyway just as I was about to select a pack of those Nestlé Bubble biscuits, one of them queefed out a fcuking rasper of a fart, no hold back, just fcuking unloaded a low sounded scutthery bad boy that immediately hung in the air like an egg sambo gone well off.

Rattled off the sides of the aisle:eek:

Not a bother on them,carried on while I abandoned the area and headed out for fresh air.

They don't give a fcuk:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

They're entitled to their opinions. I bet in the future some things will be socially acceptable that aren't now and you'll have a hard time dealing with them when you get older.

I have nothing against aul wans and their views, but I wish to fcuk they would keep their wind to themselves.

I was in Tesco Sandymount today mooching around the biscuit aisle, when these two auld wans shuffled in and took up position around the Foxe's Ambers section.

You know the type, fairly heavily tweeded, walk through you, instead of around you and blocked the already narrow aisle up.Both pulling wheeled shopping bags.

Cnuts were wittering on about catfood,if I recall correctly ,and how 'Fluff' doesn't like GoCat.

Anyway just as I was about to select a pack of those Nestlé Bubble biscuits, one of them queefed out a fcuking rasper of a fart, no hold back, just fcuking unloaded a low sounded scutthery bad boy that immediately hung in the air like an egg sambo gone well off.

Rattled off the sides of the aisle:eek:

Not a bother on them,carried on while I abandoned the area and headed out for fresh air.

They don't give a fcuk:confused:

Congrats on successfully lightening the tone. You can't beat using queef as a verb.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement