Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ignorant Aul' Wans

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40 SWK

They're entitled to their opinions. I bet in the future some things will be socially acceptable that aren't now and you'll have a hard time dealing with them when you get older..

Perhaps, and I'm not questioning their right to their opinions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Fukuyama

I have nothing against aul wans and their views, but I wish to fcuk they would keep their wind to themselves.

I was in Tesco Sandymount today mooching around the biscuit aisle, when these two auld wans shuffled in and took up position around the Foxe's Ambers section.

You know the type, fairly heavily tweeded, walk through you, instead of around you and blocked the already narrow aisle up.Both pulling wheeled shopping bags.

Cnuts were wittering on about catfood,if I recall correctly ,and how 'Fluff' doesn't like GoCat.

Anyway just as I was about to select a pack of those Nestlé Bubble biscuits, one of them queefed out a fcuking rasper of a fart, no hold back, just fcuking unloaded a low sounded scutthery bad boy that immediately hung in the air like an egg sambo gone well off.

Rattled off the sides of the aisle:eek:

Not a bother on them,carried on while I abandoned the area and headed out for fresh air.

They don't give a fcuk:confused:

Ha!

You should start a blog Flutt. Some of the tales you regale us with are very well written and humorous to say the least! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Yes OP, I agree with you fully. Of course there are some older people with their heads screwed on but most are still in the dark ages and are holding us all back massively.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

I have nothing against aul wans and their views, but I wish to fcuk they would keep their wind to themselves.

I was in Tesco Sandymount today mooching around the biscuit aisle, when these two auld wans shuffled in and took up position around the Foxe's Ambers section.

You know the type, fairly heavily tweeded, walk through you, instead of around you and blocked the already narrow aisle up.Both pulling wheeled shopping bags.

Cnuts were wittering on about catfood,if I recall correctly ,and how 'Fluff' doesn't like GoCat.

Anyway just as I was about to select a pack of those Nestlé Bubble biscuits, one of them queefed out a fcuking rasper of a fart, no hold back, just fcuking unloaded a low sounded scutthery bad boy that immediately hung in the air like an egg sambo gone well off.

Not a bother on them,carried on while I abandoned the area and headed out for fresh air.

hahahah! weak:p! i love it ! laughed out loud!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭TommyTippee

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Unfortunately many of the thick, bigoted and intolerant old fuckwits ...........If the older ones would shut the fuck up

christ almighty

you're just as bad

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭D1stant

Eggsactly (sorry) the next time you encounter a pair of aul wans put on the whiniest voice you can muster and complain that the old people of today have no respect. Thats you dont know what the country is coming to with these smelly online bed wetters. Its not like th old days when grandad would buy you a choc ice and give you a bit of a rub

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

The-Rigger wrote: »
    Yes OP, I agree with you fully. Of course there are some older people with their heads screwed on but most are still in the dark ages and are holding us all back massively.

Yes it has to be said there are some aul wans that have moved with the times! Makes me wonder if the two in question in the OP's story are just thick stuborn and menopausal or just havent moved on with times!Fair enough i might be moody when im old but i hope to be like the 80 year olds who are a whizz on the computer and who have incredibly liberal views despite the era they were brought up in! There are people like this ! I know a few in fact!So not all Aul Wans are Ignorant!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Greentopia

christ almighty

you're just as bad

Why is he just as bad? I totally agree with him.
    Calling someone out for being the intolerant and bigoted hate mongers that they are is not, ya know, the same thing as espousing those kind of opinions and beliefs. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,140 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

christ almighty

you're just as bad

I'm not an intolerant bigoted fuckwit, but I know a lot of people who are, and I've also met their younger clones who spout the same shite as their parents and grandparents.

• Advertisement

Locker10a wrote: »
    Yes it has to be said there are some aul wans that have moved with the times! Makes me wonder if the two in question in the OP's story are just thick stuborn and menopausal or just havent moved on with times!Fair enough i might be moody when im old but i hope to be like the 80 year olds who are a whizz on the computer and who have incredibly liberal views despite the era they were brought up in! There are people like this ! I know a few in fact!So not all Aul Wans are Ignorant!

My Mum, though not what I'd call liberal has surprised me on occasion with how tolerant she is of the many changes in society that've taken place since she was young.
    She would never say anything homophobic for example, she has a live and let live attitude even though she would've been brought up in an age where homophobia was rampant and endorsed by the Catholic church.
    (Still is unfortunately :()

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭RubyRoss

The-Rigger wrote: »

I image the older people have similiar views about the young.

It's funny that many posters took up the gay rights issue when the sentiment of the OP is blatantly ageist. ..some people had a chat on the train...about a story in the news...the story is about a gay man...and the people are old..

It sounds a Joyce epic on nothingness (Norris would love it)
    The real story here is the reaction of many posters believing that the elderly are ruining progressive social values

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭LighterGuy

RubyRoss wrote: »

It's funny that many posters took up the gay rights issue when the sentiment of the OP is blatantly ageist. ..some people had a chat on the train...about a story in the news...the story is about a gay man...and the people are old..

It sounds a Joyce epic on nothingness (Norris would love it)
    The real story here is the reaction of many posters believing that the elderly are ruining progressive social values

Im sorry but this world is becoming to feckin' pouncey. Theres racism. Fair enough. Theres sexism. Ok fair enough. But now theres ageism? :rolleyes:
    I mean what are we going to have in ten years? styleism? ... speechism?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Funnily enough there was 2 auld ones paying for parking in front of me today having a nice auld chat. I wasn't in a hurry so I wasn't bothered by it, it was like something on tv; they were literally putting brown coin after brown coin into the machine it was hilarious. Must have taken them about 3 minutes to pay the €1.80. One of them left her paid parking ticket in the machine I should have nabbed it for some free parking but I called her and handed it to her :P Such a gent I swear

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

I'm glad you were tolerant of your own ageing grandparents, God Bless them they were ignorant to a degree that is surely criminal today.

Unfortunately, Father Time cares nought, we still have a Catholic indoctrination system in our schools, still teaching the same old stiff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

It's not really.
    The OP complained of two train passengers who made ignorant bigoted remarks about certain sects of society (not merely having a chat about a news story). Having experienced this phenomenon in the older generation, the OP then asked if anyone felt that this was a prevalent issue in older people?

It may not be fair to suggest the idea that old people are inherently ignorant and/or bigoted - mostly because highly suggestible people may propel that suggestion forward (which is the problem the OP has with their 'rhetoric' in the first place) - but it is not "blatantly ageist".

The woman is quoted as saying that society's more accepting approach to gay people is "sick" and that "any intelligent person can see that". That is ignorant, bigoted bull****.
    If the OP had said that old people are all ignorant bigots and any intelligent person can see that, yeah that would have been ageist. But he didn't. He just made a proposal that at worst suggests the possibility of an unfair stereotypical assumption.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

SWK wrote: »
    Things took a less objectionable turn after that opening 20 minutes and I became more successful at tuning them out, though I do recall the downsides of today's youth being over-educated propping up.

It's a topic for debate anyway and shouldn't be dismissed.
    Dropout rates in the first year of courses are huge and this is a waste of resources and time for everyone.

A lot of people who attend universities and the IT's realy shouldn't be there but maybe felt pressured to go and went with the flow

Yeah, times are tough in construction but many are far more suited to being a tradesman then going to college. Fáilte Ireland run excellent and practical courses for areas for chefs and hospitality. FÁS are good if you want to be a car mechanic and work in the motor trade.
    Nursing used to be a vocation and now it's a degree course with graduate salaries. Were hospitals and wards in worse shape before we had graduate nurses?

And I've not even mentioned art degrees which many have an issue with.

Just saying you could say there are young people going to college who would be better off out of college

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

If that's what they were actually talking about...

"Today's youth being over-educated" could just as easily have been a complaint about how young people are becoming educated to the point that they can see through ignorant bigotry and vilify the older generation...

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

I wonder if the people who are saying 'Its just their opinion' would say the same if these women were saying that apartheid was right. Just to give an example.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

Come to think of it, it's irrelevant whether they are "aul wans" or younger if you get people waffling on about the woes of the world on a train. Just before the election, I got onto a train in Heuston and took what looked like the only seat available beside a woman of about 35. The train was hardly under way when her mobile rang and all the way to Tullamore I squirmed as she completed one call and then made another immediately, all the time talking self-importantly about election strategy and dropping names like "Inda". From what I could gather, she had something to do with FG in Mayo and clearly thought she was masterminding the party's whole strategy, her laptop open before her. I just ignored it, but actually would have liked to throttle the cow and chuck her off the train. She wasn't too bad-looking though, but had the bossy, arrogant air that some schoolteachers cultivate and if there were more women like that in the world, it wouldn't surprise me if more men were gay as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Perhaps they do, shows how out of touch they are.

ejmaztec wrote: »
    I'm not an intolerant bigoted fuckwit

LighterGuy wrote: »
    Im sorry but this world is becoming to feckin' pouncey. Theres racism. Fair enough. Theres sexism. Ok fair enough. But now theres ageism? :rolleyes:
    I mean what are we going to have in ten years? styleism? ... speechism?
    Well, let’s just imagine that if I were guilty of ‘styleism’ I might sneer at your apparent inability to spell and punctuate following the conventions of the language…but since I am not such a twit, and I can understand what you have written, I assume instead that you were simply writing in a hurry or not overly concerned about how others perceive your writing.

Two “ignorant aul wans’ on a train clearly assumed they were not sitting beside the chief inspector of sanctioned liberal opinion.
    The point of the OP clearly had a lot more to do with his personal irritation at having to listen to the ‘nattering of aul wans’ on public transport than the - shock horror – fact that some older people aren’t so keen on homosexuals. It was a story in the news - in which some deeply distorted views about homosexuality and paedophilia were expressed. As such, it's not an unusual topic of conversation and a great deal more context would be required to dismiss an entire generation to the dungeon of enlightened thought.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

orourkeda wrote: »
    Why are people shocked by homophobia and prejudice in general?

Would it be better if we all just ignored it? I hope that I will continue to be disgusted by homophobia and prejudice in general, rather than accepting it.

Well, let’s just imagine that if I were guilty of ‘styleism’ I might sneer at your apparent inability to spell and punctuate following the conventions of the language…but since I am not such a twit, and I can understand what you have written, I assume instead that you were simply writing in a hurry or not overly concerned about how others perceive your writing.

.. or drunk. A post made at 02.12am in the early hours of sunday morning should of suggested my "poor spelling and punctuation" had alcohol involved :rolleyes: but hey, you chose the "twit" reply (as you say yourself)

Two “ignorant aul wans’ on a train clearly assumed they were not sitting beside the chief inspector of sanctioned liberal opinion.
    The point of the OP clearly had a lot more to do with his personal irritation at having to listen to the ‘nattering of aul wans’ on public transport than the - shock horror – fact that some older people aren’t so keen on homosexuals. It was a story in the news - in which some deeply distorted views about homosexuality and paedophilia were expressed. As such, it's not an unusual topic of conversation and a great deal more context would be required to dismiss an entire generation to the dungeon of enlightened thought.

Dare I be blunt, if i was in the op's shoes. They'd do my head in from the sounds of it. Its all sh*te talk anyways. Two aul'wans going on about all sorts, even gay people... but yet if they knew one personally they would be sweet as apple pie to said gay persons face :rolleyes:

Fishie wrote: »
    Would it be better if we all just ignored it? I hope that I will continue to be disgusted by homophobia and prejudice in general, rather than accepting it.

I do understand what orourkeda is saying tho.
    I mean, theres racism. Theres being prejudice. You'll always have it.

Who are we to actually say to people "stop thinking like that" - we can think someone is a fool with their opinions/views but does anyone have a right to go on an crusade to change a persons choice?

If someone is a racist for example. Thats their choice. Im not. Thats all i care about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,140 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

The come-back took you long enough:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

mikemac wrote: »
    It's a topic for debate anyway and shouldn't be dismissed.
    Dropout rates in the first year of courses are huge and this is a waste of resources and time for everyone.

A lot of people who attend universities and the IT's realy shouldn't be there but maybe felt pressured to go and went with the flow

Yeah, times are tough in construction but many are far more suited to being a tradesman then going to college. Fáilte Ireland run excellent and practical courses for areas for chefs and hospitality. FÁS are good if you want to be a car mechanic and work in the motor trade.
    Nursing used to be a vocation and now it's a degree course with graduate salaries. Were hospitals and wards in worse shape before we had graduate nurses?

And I've not even mentioned art degrees which many have an issue with.

Just saying you could say there are young people going to college who would be better off out of college

I work in a clinic not a hospital, but nurses are only one of many disciplines that work in a hospital. Whilst statements about one profession can never be applied to the whole profession. The quality of interventions I see are of a higher quality with those who have a degree or masters than those without.

Nursing is not an easy job and since they provide a professional clinical service why should their wages not reflect that?

I agree about drop-outs and the waste but where possible why should we not offer the highest possible education to all? When I was in secondary school in the 80s I don't think it was expected by both staff and parents that more that 1-2% of us would go to college. I had left the country and worked abroad for over 5 years by the time I got to college. Hence I think it is a great position to be in that so many people have access to third level education, compared to only 20-30 years ago.

I really do believe that it is very hard to waste an education [provided the person attends and puts in some effort], at some point the person will generally mature and it will be of some use. Knowledge and learning are really hard to waste.

.. or drunk. A post made at 02.12am in the early hours of sunday morning should of suggested my "poor spelling and punctuation" had alcohol involved :rolleyes: but hey, you chose the "twit" reply (as you say yourself)

Are you drunk will reading the posts as well?

fail :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭AskMyChocolate

Indeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Pandora2

Ellis Dee wrote: »
    Come to think of it, it's irrelevant whether they are "aul wans" or younger if you get people waffling on about the woes of the world on a train. Just before the election, I got onto a train in Heuston and took what looked like the only seat available beside a woman of about 35. The train was hardly under way when her mobile rang and all the way to Tullamore I squirmed as she completed one call and then made another immediately, all the time talking self-importantly about election strategy and dropping names like "Inda". From what I could gather, she had something to do with FG in Mayo and clearly thought she was masterminding the party's whole strategy, her laptop open before her. I just ignored it, but actually would have liked to throttle the cow and chuck her off the train. She wasn't too bad-looking though, but had the bossy, arrogant air that some schoolteachers cultivate and if there were more women like that in the world, it wouldn't surprise me if more men were gay as well.

What?? You were on a train and someone used the time on it in to work in a professional manner? A laptop and a mobile?...and pre-election too? They should have been chillin' in the Buffet car surely?? It's not as if we really needed a change of Government:rolleyes: Few prejudices of your own showing up there! Maybe she was a high flying female strategist, using public transport?? Out of your league perhaps??;)

Fail indeed - but you still miss the point, which was about the legitimacy of ageism in much the same way that you’re hypothetical ‘styleism’ is legitimate to people concerned with the language. I explicitly stated that I was not such a ponce as I understood what you wrote (and it was hardly polite to imply that you were drunk and posting at the wee hours of morning). So I negate my fail with moral triumph.

Greentopia wrote: »
    Why is he just as bad? I totally agree with him.
    Calling someone out for being the intolerant and bigoted hate mongers that they are is not, ya know, the same thing as espousing those kind of opinions and beliefs. :rolleyes:

If they think gays are disgusting, that's their own business. They are quite entitled to their opinion.

Oh how liberal and tolerant the young generation are...this forum is littered day-in, day-out with slurs on just about every minority.

Like I said, you're just as bad.

Furthermore, I think homosexual activity is quite disgusting myself. Of all places to stick me flute, up another man's arse would be last on me list. Doesn't make me homophobic, intolerant or bigoted.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭smugchik

Don't know how old your 'old wans' were but I don't think age has much to do with attitude, so when the oldies go, there are always many to take their place. I must say that the 'young people being over educated' is a new one, I have never heard anything so ridiculous, it is amazing that people can still have such antiquated views. You showed great restraint by not pushing them off the train! Unfortunately, some people have never been young or objectionable in their thinking. Perhaps if you weeded out those who like country music, you might be nearer getting rid of the old fashioned attitudes rather than going for age. David Norris could never be described as young, despite his forward thinking and the country would be a duller place without him.

If they think gays are disgusting, that's their own business. They are quite entitled to their opinion.

I never said they aren't entitled to their opinions, odious as they are to me. As long as they (the women in question) are not inciting others to commit violence against members of the LGBT community or do so themselves what they say is protected by freedom of speech here in this country.
    Oh how liberal and tolerant the young generation are...this forum is littered day-in, day-out with slurs on just about every minority.

Like I said, you're just as bad.

Not sure what point you're making here but yes I am liberal and yes I would say tolerant (and happy to be so but why you're bringing political affiliation into this I don't know) but I'm not so young ;)
    Furthermore, I think homosexual activity is quite disgusting myself. Of all places to stick me flute, up another man's arse would be last on me list. Doesn't make me homophobic, intolerant or bigoted.

Your words speak otherwise.
    Websters dictionary definition of Homophobia: "irrational fear of, aversion to, or discrimination against homosexuality or homosexuals."

You have a stated aversion to homosexuality.

Oh and if you think it's disgusting here's a tip: it's the same thing I'd say to people who say things like "oh I don't think gays should marry", or "I don't think women should have abortions".-Then don't do it! just because you feel that way doesn't give you the right to legislate your opinions into being to deny others their rights.

And no-one's forcing you to give your assent or to participate in homosexual activity in any way.

Fail indeed - but you still miss the point, which was about the legitimacy of ageism in much the same way that you’re hypothetical ‘styleism’ is legitimate to people concerned with the language. I explicitly stated that I was not such a ponce as I understood what you wrote (and it was hardly polite to imply that you were drunk and posting at the wee hours of morning). So I negate my fail with moral triumph.

to touch on a serious note for a second... thats a really bad trait you have.
    you said something to me, you did the same, i pulled you up on it .... then try to "recover" - seriously are you ten? ... or cant you have a joke?

seriously thats a bad trait to have. Trying to be right in any way possible.

In all honesty, the sooner the older generation dies out and the more liberal the world becomes the nicer the planet will be to live on, although there'll still be idiots who think that war, gaybashing, prohibition and all that **** is the norm, the general consensus will overpower the minority, so all in all, nothing will change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

In all honesty, the sooner the older generation dies out and the more liberal the world becomes the nicer the planet will be to live on,

And the hip young liberal with-it types of today grow into the reactionary old gits of tomorrow turning out to be even more obnoxious than those they once claimed to despise.

Did the sixties teach you nothing ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭number10a

Mike 1972 wrote: »

From what I understand from those who were here then, the 1960s as the rest of the world knows them simply bypassed Ireland.

to touch on a serious note for a second... thats a really bad trait you have.
    you said something to me, you did the same, i pulled you up on it .... then try to "recover" - seriously are you ten? ... or cant you have a joke?

seriously thats a bad trait to have. Trying to be right in any way possible.

I am but an infant before the majesty of your wisdom and, may I say, your flourishes of humour dazzle the darkest chambers of my mind. To think on how I erred in contradicting thee – oh, shame is upon me. Nah, shame upon the name of my kin and kind.

smugchik wrote: »
    Don't know how old your 'old wans' were but I don't think age has much to do with attitude, so when the oldies go, there are always many to take their place. I must say that the 'young people being over educated' is a new one, I have never heard anything so ridiculous, it is amazing that people can still have such antiquated views. You showed great restraint by not pushing them off the train! Unfortunately, some people have never been young or objectionable in their thinking. Perhaps if you weeded out those who like country music, you might be nearer getting rid of the old fashioned attitudes rather than going for age. David Norris could never be described as young, despite his forward thinking and the country would be a duller place without him.

I'd have to say, as an "oldie", your username is incredibly apt. I can only presume that you are a "young over-educated person". What is ridiculous or antiquated about this point of view? Try applying your intelligence to the argument, rather than your education, before you smugly dismiss those who you feel are beneath you.

Patronisingly yours,

Choco

Mike 1972 wrote: »

Too much acid man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

CatFromHue wrote: »
    they can give out about the young generation and all the gays they want.

the vast majority of child abuse cases and the magdelene laundry's abuse happened in their generation.

They almost certainly thought they were good things though.

Pandora2 wrote: »
    What?? You were on a train and someone used the time on it in to work in a professional manner? A laptop and a mobile?...and pre-election too? They should have been chillin' in the Buffet car surely?? It's not as if we really needed a change of Government:rolleyes: Few prejudices of your own showing up there! Maybe she was a high flying female strategist, using public transport?? Out of your league perhaps??;)

What prejudices? I don't believe it's very professional to let a few dozen people in a carriage hear everything you say and discuss conversations with identifiable prople, and moider the arses off the listeners at the same time. But perhaps we have different ideas about what constitutes professional. Your comment about "out of my league" is unnecessarily rude, because you have no idea what league I belong in. It does, however, provide a hint about you. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Ming!

Ignorance isn't exempt for auld ones y'know?

What prejudices? I don't believe it's very professional to let a few dozen people in a carriage hear everything you say and discuss conversations with identifiable prople, and moider the arses off the listeners at the same time. But perhaps we have different ideas about what constitutes professional. Your comment about "out of my league" is unnecessarily rude, because you have no idea what league I belong in. It does, however, provide a hint about you. :rolleyes:

If that's what you want them to hear, then it embodies exemplary professionalism.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Pandora2

Come to think of it, it's irrelevant whether they are "aul wans" or younger if you get people waffling on about the woes of the world on a train. Just before the election, I got onto a train in Heuston and took what looked like the only seat available beside a woman of about 35. The train was hardly under way when her mobile rang and all the way to Tullamore I squirmed as she completed one call and then made another immediately, all the time talking self-importantly about election strategy and dropping names like "Inda". From what I could gather, she had something to do with FG in Mayo andclearly thought she was masterminding the party's whole strategy, her laptop open before her. I just ignored it, but actually would have liked to throttle the cow and chuck her off the train. She wasn't too bad-looking though, but had the bossy, arrogant air that some schoolteachers cultivate and if there were more women like that in the world, it wouldn't surprise me if more men were gay as well.

What prejudices? No you're right, no prejudices there:rolleyes:

I don't believe it's very professional to let a few dozen people in a carriage hear everything you say and discuss conversations with identifiable prople, and moider the arses off the listeners at the same time. But perhaps we have different ideas about what constitutes professional. Fair Comment

Your comment about "out of my league" is unnecessarily rude, because you have no idea what league I belong in. It does, however, provide a hint about you. :rolleyes:
    Apologies for any offence, I have had the misfortune to suffer the intrusion of many things on trains...marauding, crying children, antagonistic youths, noisy hen parties....least of my worries would be someone making work calls!

Now, tell me all about me??:rolleyes:

Pandora2 wrote: »

Now, tell me all about me??:rolleyes:

How could I do that? :confused: I'm really old-fashioned about things like having something more than a hint or two to go on.:) BTW, nothing wrong with making a work call, but loudly in a crowded carriage, a whole series of them for an hour or so, and evidently motivated more by a desire to make oneself sound important than anything else, in addition to making comments, some of them less than flattering, about known persons. I could have used my own mobile or the digital camera I had in my own laptop case to record some of what she was saying and then, if the opportunity presented itself later, release it to an activist from another party or the media ---

But, of course, as we all know, that wouldn't be an honourable thing to do. At least no Blueshirt would ever do it. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭Yahew

Which is worse homophobia or Islamophobia? I ask this because I was on a train close to some Imans, and I couldn't help overhearing....

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement