Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ignorant Aul' Wans

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

number10a wrote: »
    From what I understand from those who were here then, the 1960s as the rest of the world knows them simply bypassed Ireland.

You gotta be kidding. On holidays in Dublin in the mid/late 60s I and my friends had a great time. Lots of beat groups doing the rounds, plenty of "shot coffee" at 5 bob a cup, reefers at 7 bob each, late night/early morning feeds in the Kilimanjaro, rakes of little clubs to go to etc. Purple Hearts and Blues were not hard to find if you knew the craic. Moses K and The Prophets, Chose Few, 5th Degree, The Pickford Set and earlier on Them. Yes, I'm an aul' wan now and I take nothing stronger than a G&T but i'm merely stating what ye will be stating in 40 years time :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

I was out in P---- C---, Sallynoggin, yesterday. Some old crow approaches the customer desk with a label for hoover bags she wants replaced.

Aul' Wan: Can I get these replaced?

Customer floor manager: Yes of course, the hoover bags are..

Aul' Wan: Are you foreign?

Customer floor manager: What has that.. (nonplussed, stops, says nothing)

Aul' Wan: Ah look, I want someone Irish ..

Customer floor manager: Bag label handed back to Aul' Wan by manager, very curtly, without saying anything.

The manager then resumes dealing with me, with a pewter blush, rising up from his neck.

---

Just to say.. not Aul' Wans, but I find various scrotes, of all ages, love talking down to service staff, particularly to EU workers in fast food outlets. I really cringe when waiting to order food. It is a habit that has lingered and stayed, after the Tiger years and all that lark.. Mr. and Mrs. comfort tracksuit daywear. A generation with pig manners on the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

Amalgam wrote: »
    I was out in P---- C---, Sallynoggin, yesterday. Some old crow approaches the customer desk with a label for hoover bags she wants replaced.

Aul' Wan: Can I get these replaced?

Customer floor manager: Yes of course, the hoover bags are..

Aul' Wan: Are you foreign?

Customer floor manager: What has that.. (nonplussed, stops, says nothing)

Aul' Wan: Ah look, I want someone Irish ..

Customer floor manager: Bag label handed back to Aul' Wan by manager, very curtly, without saying anything.

The manager then resumes dealing with me, with a pewter blush, rising up from his neck.

---

Just to say.. not Aul' Wans, but I find various scrotes, of all ages, love talking down to service staff, particularly to EU workers in fast food outlets. I really cringe when waiting to order food. It is a habit that has lingered and stayed, after the Tiger years and all that lark.. Mr. and Mrs. comfort tracksuit daywear. A generation with pig manners on the way.

Do you think she was always a pig-ignorant, rude, racist bitch, or is it something that developed in her as she grew older? I'd tend to think it is the former, because most people tend to wise up, at least a little, with age. If I had been the manager of that store, I'd have asked her to leave and called the Gardai if she made a fuss. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Yeah, even the most prickly krones mellow out as they age, but this person was a notch below fossil. Doddery with the didders.

Manager didn't react to it at all. Fair play to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

SWK wrote: »
    My main reason for the thread is that I'm now wondering if anyone else sometimes gets the feeling that maybe Irish society will take a progressive step forward in a couple of decades when, how shall I put this, Father Time undertakes an inevitable culling..

I know plenty of racist/homophobic people my age, I'm 24. While there may be a bit some improvement with time I think some people in this thread underestimate how prevalent these ideas still are especially in rural areas. I share a house and we recently had a new 20yo housemate who within a day of arriving was going on about how she hates foreigners etc. Also as has been stated old people don't give a f**k and maybe a lot of people with these types of opinions from our generation will simply not become vocal about until they reach the age of not giving a f**k.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Pandora2

Ellis Dee wrote: »
    How could I do that? :confused: I'm really old-fashioned about things like having something more than a hint or two to go on.:) BTW, nothing wrong with making a work call, but loudly in a crowded carriage, a whole series of them for an hour or so, and evidently motivated more by a desire to make oneself sound important than anything else, in addition to making comments, some of them less than flattering, about known persons. I could have used my own mobile or the digital camera I had in my own laptop case to record some of what she was saying and then, if the opportunity presented itself later, release it to an activist from another party or the media ---

But, of course, as we all know, that wouldn't be an honourable thing to do. At least no Blueshirt would ever do it. :rolleyes:

Like I said Fair Comment :) I will only answer my mobile in public and minimum conversation ensues (on a train I can always fire up the laptop and send an e-mail:P) She was probably in her own personal movie but on a scale of 1 to 10 it is not the most annoying thing one might encounter. I lived in London in the Eighties when half the city couldn't wait to get on the train to take their Mobile (brick) out of its suitcase and commence to "Buy, Buy", "Sell, Sell"..."Lunch is for wimps!" (basically the sound track of Wall Street)...Maybe my age has made me tolerant of others, but to me your woman sounds like light relief from my Biography of Dev:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭Yahew

England now has quiet carriages. Speak on the phone and you get killed by an irate mob.

Ignoring the general theme of racism, homophobia etc. I generally do feel that Ireland's older generation is ruder than the younger, or middle aged. Maybe its something we all grow into. The generally accepted "law" about getting on the train after others get off has never been known to effect an Old Wan. I missed a stop once when a 70+ year old knocked me back into the carriage, and went on her way, two handed with messages and not a word of apology. I was puffed and a bit shocked, the doors closed and we were on our way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,498 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Yahew wrote: »
    Ignoring the general theme of racism, homophobia etc. I generally do feel that Ireland's older generation is ruder than the younger, or middle aged. Maybe its something we all grow into. The generally accepted "law" about getting on the train after others get off has never been known to effect an Old Wan. I missed a stop once when a 70+ year old knocked me back into the carriage, and went on her way, two handed with messages and not a word of apology. I was puffed and a bit shocked, the doors closed and we were on our way.

Defo have to agree from experience working in a shop before, aul wans/lads were by far the most rude, tightest when it came to money and just down right ignorant. Others might disagree but it most certainly was my experience and observation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭skywalker_208

I am sure these 2 are considered good christians and go to mass every day....
    Fookin hypocrites

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

I live abroad a lot and am utterly sickened by the racism, xenophobia and homophobia one hears all the time in Ireland nowadays. Likewise Islamophobia. It's just like decades ago when the Jews were supposedly to blame for everything, and we all know what that scapegoating led to. Now it's everyone but ourselves who are to blame. Not so long ago, I visited another Irish forum - better not name it - and saw, among other things, a call to have all Traveller women sterilised, all Roma exterminated, and so on. I know freedom of speech is important, but there have to be some limits, and surely it's not good for even the haters if they let the hate take control of their lives. You'd think no Irish people ever turned up on foreign shores. I'm a newbie here, but glad I haven't seen any sick stuff like in the other place.:)

Oh shut up,you'd give an asprin a headache.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭optogirl

Degsy wrote: »

Totally uncalled for Degsy.

I was sitting on a train one day and these rastafarian guys were talking.....

Degsy wrote: »

Sorry, Moderator Degsy, did I inadvertently touch a racist or xenophobic nerve? I'll try harder to keep within the forum rules in future now that you have reminded me of them. :):rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 887 ✭✭✭suitseir

Just off the phone to the mother....an aul wan......and definitely has ignorant views on most things! She would be of the same thinking about the David Norris debacle (not my personal views, might I add) and there is no changing her attitude.

She always always and always, believed right through her life that a wife should be sub-servant to her hubby! She was recently widowed and she was DEFO sub-servant to her late husband! In fact, she had a hard life from him. But she interprets that as LOVE and whenever you talk to her, she is beatifying him! Sad but that's IGNORANCE for you. Sorry just a little off post there but that paints the picture of the type of aul wans that are out there! I hope and know that our generation is much different, TG.

Pandora2 wrote: »
    Like I said Fair Comment :) I will only answer my mobile in public and minimum conversation ensues (on a train I can always fire up the laptop and send an e-mail:P) She was probably in her own personal movie but on a scale of 1 to 10 it is not the most annoying thing one might encounter. I lived in London in the Eighties when half the city couldn't wait to get on the train to take their Mobile (brick) out of its suitcase and commence to "Buy, Buy", "Sell, Sell"..."Lunch is for wimps!" (basically the sound track of Wall Street)...Maybe my age has made me tolerant of others, but to me your woman sounds like light relief from my Biography of Dev:rolleyes:

Sounds like you have your values straight and belong to the increasingly small minority of people who show consideration for others.;) I like that remark about the dame "living in her own personal movie".

The point of my initial post on this thread was not to share horror stories about bad behaviour in places where one can't escape it, but to make the point that being an "aul wan" is essential a state of mind and correlates only poorly with age or gender. A lot of older people have remained quite nice and cool; others, not yet out of their teens will probably never serve any useful purpose other than turning food into doo-doo.

Sometimes, though, a loud conversation between two travelling companions can be a really funny experience. Once on a train down from Dublin I sat in front of a couple of women in their mid-20s. I said "Hello" when I sat down, but neither replied. Soon they were chatting away in their own language, and getting louder and more worked up by the minute. One was telling the other, in great and graphic detail about her boyfriend's shortcomings in the scratcher, whilst the other's paramour seemed to have major issues with his personal hygiene.

This was in one of those languages that few people speak and they acted as though I wasn't there.

They stood up to get off the train in Kildare, and I couldn't help saying to them, in that same language, "I think you should write to [****]" and named a nationally famous agony aunt in their country's main daily.

To see the look on their faces again, I'd gladly travel the length of Ireland with a carriageful of aul wans who think they are still living in the 1950s.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Kate10

Thread reminds me of a story my mother in law told last week - she was in a doctor's waiting room and couldn't help but overhear a conversation between two old ladies. The tv was on sky news but muted in the corner. The two old ladies were generally bemoaning the state of the world. Then one directed the other's attention to the tv and said - "and they're after murdering that lovely holy man too." tv showed pictures of Osama bin Laden ... think she found the robes a bit misleading!! : )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Dan133269

Was on a train from Dublin to Waterford once, table beside me had a couple at each side who had obviously just got chatting on the train, both in their 60's talking about everything and anything, having a laugh and getting on quite well. Then 1 of the couples reached their stop, both groups exchanged hearty farewells and smiles and the couple left the train. The remaining couple waved at them again through the window smiling, then the wife leaned in and whispered to her husband in a deadly serious tone "I think they were Protestants".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

** David Norris on rte news **

Mother: "I won't vote for him"
    Me: "Why?"
    Mother "Because he's gay?"
    Me "But what about his policies and experience blah blah"
    Mother "He's still gay though!"

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭lesserspottedchloe

mikemac wrote: »
    It's a topic for debate anyway and shouldn't be dismissed.
    Dropout rates in the first year of courses are huge and this is a waste of resources and time for everyone.

A lot of people who attend universities and the IT's realy shouldn't be there but maybe felt pressured to go and went with the flow

Yeah, times are tough in construction but many are far more suited to being a tradesman then going to college. Fáilte Ireland run excellent and practical courses for areas for chefs and hospitality. FÁS are good if you want to be a car mechanic and work in the motor trade.
    Nursing used to be a vocation and now it's a degree course with graduate salaries. Were hospitals and wards in worse shape before we had graduate nurses?

And I've not even mentioned art degrees which many have an issue with.

Just saying you could say there are young people going to college who would be better off out of college

What's the problem with Art degrees? Would you care to elaborate?

laylah wrote: »

I'll wait for Mikemac's answer to you, Laylah, but my own tuppence ha'penny worth is that there's nothing at all wrong with any kind of learning. Naturally, it is good if degrees are of the kind that the labour market wants and needs, but even if they are not, they are knowledge that the person who has studied now possesses and can never be taken away. One can never know when it will turn out useful.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

A lot of the older crowd are still under the catholic brainwashing, their power to shape the opinions of the younger generation is gone so we can thankfully look on it as a relic of the past.

The younger ones coming through with these opinions will be a sorry minority living among the fringes in the future with no voice in the mainstream.

The US it appears to be moving backwards which we should look on as a cautionary tale about the power and influence of the church/es.

I'll wait for Mikemac's answer to you, Laylah, but my own tuppence ha'penny worth is that there's nothing at all wrong with any kind of learning. Naturally, it is good if degrees are of the kind that the labour market wants and needs, but even if they are not, they are knowledge that the person who has studied now possesses and can never be taken away. One can never know when it will turn out useful.;)

Haha-sound I totally agree!..I suspect I'll like your answer better than his!:rolleyes:

It's gas how ignorant some ppl are about the importance of Art and Design in general-who do they think designs their houses, cars, i-pods, furniture, magazines, treasured possessions, tv, movies ect? They can't say they don't care for it/ think its a waste as it seriously influences almost every purchasing descision they will ever make :pac:

Art degrees are vitally important for those seeking a solid foundation of knowledge in industry and practical skills-same as any other profession.

The points for Art colleges are very high and students work an average of 40hrs+own time of about 20hrs each week of term. Drop out rates are low.
    This attitude is just as out-dated and ignorant as those awl wans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Effectively I wonder whether our generation will be the last generation in which victimless activities are seen as wrong.

I don't regard anything as wrong unless it hurts somebody who has not consented or been able to consent to being hurt by it. I honestly don't understand the busybody mentality. I really don't. How does one justify feeling that you have a right to enforce your standards on other people regarding something that is their property - their own bodies? I honestly and simply do not understand where that comes from. It's a form of arrogance I think, to feel that your opinion is so feckin' incredible that others should be subject to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Some people believe that every single thing you do in your life should be centered around your career and that anything else you do is a "waste".

• Advertisement

It's gas how ignorant some ppl are about the importance of Art and Design in general-who do they think designs their houses, cars, i-pods, furniture, magazines, treasured possessions, tv, movies ect? They can't say they don't care for it/ think its a waste as it seriously influences almost every purchasing descision they will ever make

isnt that design, not art?
    Some people believe that every single thing you do in your life should be centered around your career and that anything else you do is a "waste".

My problem is that these degrees are too easy.

yeah you're a troll.

Visual com, sculpture, painting, fashion, ceramics, Print are all areas of study at Art College as well as product design and architecture-when you refer to art degrees these are the diciplines you're describing.

I find it helps to know a bit about something before making assumptions as it helps you to avoid insulting people in an ignorant manner and looking silly :)

yeah you're a troll.

Visual com, sculpture, painting, fashion, ceramics, Print are all areas of study at Art College as well as product design and architecture-when you refer to art degrees these are the diciplines you're describing.

I find it helps to know a bit about something before making assumptions as it helps you to avoid insulting people in an ignorant manner and looking silly :)

Yes it does help.

Your original list is:

houses, cars, i-pods, furniture, magazines, treasured possessions, tv, movies

Architecture is a science. An industrial design - like the one Johnathon Ive did - is not generally considered an Art degree. In fact the vast majority of your original list was stuff designed and put together by engineers, industrial designers, and architects - with the possible exception of the ill defined "treasured possessions".

There are vast number of roles in tv and movies too, many of them engineering, vocational, and scientific.

True, but it doesn't stop many people going ahead and ---.:):)

However, if I really wanted to make a total eejit of myself, I think I'd at least learn how to spell "yahoo" correctly. :rolleyes:

True, but it doesn't stop many people going ahead and ---.:):)

However, if I really wanted to make a total eejit of myself, I think I'd at least learn how to spell "yahoo" correctly. :rolleyes:

If I wanted to make you look an idiot I would make you incapable of not understanding what Yahew actually meant, and that is not a misspelling. However you have managed that on your own. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Turpentine

Art degrees are only easy if you're good at art.

If I wanted to make you look an idiot I would make you incapable of not understanding what Yahew actually meant, and that is not a misspelling. However you have managed that on your own. :rolleyes:

Ever thought of getting a humour transplant? :) :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Emoi

SWK wrote: »
    anyone else sometimes gets the feeling that maybe Irish society will take a progressive step forward in a couple of decades when, how shall I put this, Father Time undertakes an inevitable culling.

Definately!!

Anybody remember that episode with Ducan Steward about how europe, (I think it was particularly Germany) use cattle slurry for energy?

Myself and my boyf thought it was amazing!! But his granddad, who IS a cattle farmer, stood up and declared that Duncan had ''lost his effing marbles if he thinks I'm gona put cow shite into my car''.

That generation were very happy and content to just make do with whatever ''God'' gave them and they just don't like change or ''foreign muck''.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭RubyRoss

Emoi wrote: »
    Definately!!

Anybody remember that episode with Ducan Steward about how europe, (I think it was particularly Germany) use cattle slurry for energy?

Myself and my boyf thought it was amazing!! But his granddad, who IS a cattle farmer, stood up and declared that Duncan had ''lost his effing marbles if he thinks I'm gona put cow shite into my car''.

That generation were very happy and content to just make do with whatever ''God'' gave them and they just don't like change or ''foreign muck''.

Yes, the older generation, as represented by your boyfriend's grandad watching TV, clearly need to be culled ... or maybe the granddad was driven to distraction by watching rubbish TV with his grandchildren

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Emoi

RubyRoss wrote: »
    Yes, the older generation, as represented by your boyfriend's grandad watching TV, clearly need to be culled ... or maybe the granddad was driven to distraction by watching rubbish TV with his grandchildren

Not quite the point I was making!!

Hey, I happen to like Duncan, he always looks like a frightened little rabbit!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 history66

Spread wrote: »
    You gotta be kidding. On holidays in Dublin in the mid/late 60s I and my friends had a great time. Lots of beat groups doing the rounds, plenty of "shot coffee" at 5 bob a cup, reefers at 7 bob each, late night/early morning feeds in the Kilimanjaro, rakes of little clubs to go to etc. Purple Hearts and Blues were not hard to find if you knew the craic. Moses K and The Prophets, Chose Few, 5th Degree, The Pickford Set and earlier on Them. Yes, I'm an aul' wan now and I take nothing stronger than a G&T but i'm merely stating what ye will be stating in 40 years time :eek:

Hi there,
    I was wondering what expactly is "shot coffee"? cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Kitty-kitty

history66 wrote: »
    Hi there,
    I was wondering what expactly is "shot coffee"? cheers

Espresso, surely?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Don't drag up last year's threads unless there in new relevant info to the OP (first post) or similar, thanks.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement