Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you star on Come Dine With Me? ...

Options
  • 11-06-2011 8:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭

And what would you cook?

Just watching the repeat here and it got me thinking. For me to even apply to the show I would need to replace all my plates, glasses and cutlery as very few of them match, the kitchen chairs are falling apart so they would need to go and my table just about seats 4 so I would need a new one of them too. Count in the ingredients and wine and I'd need to win just to break even!

However, if I was to star in it I think I would keep my menu fairly simple and straight forward so very little could go wrong.

Starter:

Seafood medley – Kind prawns, Calamari & Scallops served with small salad.

Sweet potato soup for any vegetarian or non fish eater.

Main Course:

Good quality roast beef with all the trimmings. (Mash, Roasties, Yorkshire puddings, medley of steamed veg & mamma's secret recipe gravy)

Nut Roast.

Dessert:

Meringue surprise (this is because if the meringue cake cracks too much I can turn it into Eton mess without having to explain my errors!) .

I have to admit I wouldn't be too against the local french restaurant giving me a helping hand!!!

So AH, would you apply to star and what would be your winning menu?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭ciff

Starter: Melon and Salmon
    Main: Steak
    Desert: Ben and Jerrys.

Done. Few pints after.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭LimeFruitGum

Would I do it? **** no. My apartment is too small, there is no way anyone could bitch about me and my food without being heard! :)

But I were to do it, I would keep the meal simple with good quality ingredients and of course great wine. :D There'll be none of that squirrel and chocolate ant stuff that they were showing on CDWM on C4 today! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,045 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Not on your Nellie!!!

I'd have very little patience with picky eaters:
    "I don't like any meat with bone in it!"
    "I can't eat rare meat"
    "I only eat breast meat"
    "Ugh, it's fatty!!"
    etc etc
    STFU!!

I reckon I'd also hate a lot of the food that would be served up to me.

And stupid, self centred, self obsessed people drive me absolutely nuts!!

It just might make very entertaining TV but would be a form of torture to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

I would hate it.

People / cameras around my house, Dave Lambe and his sarcy comments (funny if someone else) and bitchy contestants.

I think anyone that puts themselves up for it deserves everything they get.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Dinkie wrote: »
    People / cameras around my house, Dave Lambe and his sarcy comments (funny if someone else) and bitchy contestants.
    Exactly, the food is pretty much secondary, its really a contrived big brother type reality show that you are going in for -with people selected who are guaranteed not to get along. I imagine they might be paid on the sly, there was one on the other day and guy was serving steak tartare, now if he was serious about getting the prize money no way in hell he would have served it up, he knew fine well some of them would hate it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,024 ✭✭✭jpb1974

and bitchy contestants

Aye... it's absolutely shocking the way that some people behave on this show, making a complete and utter disgrace of themselves.

Imagine hosting a dinner party and two strangers having a blazing row at your dinner table... jaysus... it's cringe-worthy at times.

rubadub wrote: »
    there was one on the other day and guy was serving steak tartare, now if he was serious about getting the prize money no way in hell he would have served it up, he knew fine well some of them would hate it.

Yeah, steak tartare with fried onions in it???:confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,024 ✭✭✭jpb1974

Another issue I have with the show -

Who on earth would invite people to a dinner party and then allow them to roam around their house rooting in presses and drawers?

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭smugchik

Gosh no! The thought of people looking through my cupboards and trying on my clothes is enough to give me nightmares.

The cooking would be fun though, but I would dread going to someone's house and being served something that I really could not eat like rabbit or venison . I love cooking, so I cook for friends. They don't bitch and we don't have to hold back on wine because of tv cameras!

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭smugchik

I saw an episode once where a guy had made a cheesecake as a starter. It had some sort of cracker base and was salmon mousse and smoked salmon with cream cheese on top. I would love to make it but can't remember how he did it...

• Advertisement

smugchik wrote: »
    but I would dread going to someone's house and being served something that I really could not eat like rabbit or venison . !

Why? Are you vegetarian?
    I can't think of any reason why someone could not eat rabbit or venison - even if you were vegan you could eat it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

I love to cook, and do for friends and family a lot, but I would completely crack in front of cameras.
    I would stick to an inoffensive menu and go with something like:

*Goats cheese and caramalised onion tart with rocket salad and honey/ sweet chilli sauce.

*Pork belly, baby spuds, baby corn and asparagus with homemade pork gravy.

*Trio of deserts (I'm a people pleaser!); lemon cheesecake with raspberry coulis, brownie and a mini trifle.

I am hungry now!!

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Pretty Polly

Definitely not!
    For starters, i am renting and the house is old to stay the least...think flowery curtains and sofas. I could always do it in my parents house though as i know for a fact that Darragh, from last weeks show had it in his brothers house!

I don't like some of the comments that Dave Lamb makes about some of the contestants. I would also be afraid that i would come across badly on tv, either through editing or deliberately for entertainment purpose. Take Cora for example, she came across badly and the whole Eim-hear thing was awful!

Still though im sure it would be good craic!

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭smiles302

I love the idea of doing this but I don't think I could handle being filmed while cooking. Somebody talking to me in the kitchen throws me off enough haha.

For strangers I would probably cooking something inoffensive and.. well boring and safe.

Advertisement