Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stale make up :(

• 11-06-2011 8:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84 ✭✭

Hey everyone,
    Well like most girls I love wearing make up but unfortunately my face doesn't love it as much as I do. I find that I can't wear it every day as it seems to dry out my skin and my eyes. It doesn't matter what brand I use or how much I moisturise I will still have dryness or irritation. Then when I do wear it it just won't "sit right" and it just doesn't look as fresh as when I let my skin breathe for a few days and then apply it. Is this an allergy? None of my friends seem to have this problem...Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

Do you know your skin type? I.e, dry, combination, oily, normal etc?

If not, I recommend you take a trip into a beauty salon/counter and find out your skin type. Clinique are good for this.

Can I ask, what skin care products and make up do you use? It might help us to give better advice here. Though medical advice isn't allowed here so for anything medical related you would need to see you doctor.

For make up, I would recommend going into Bobbi Brown at Brown Thomas, the staff there are lovely and very helpful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84 ✭✭Lisa8786

Thanks for that. I will probably have to go for a consultation somewhere. I have combination skin and I use the neutrogena for acne prone skin range. I currently use vichy foundation or sometimes estee lauder but I can't seem to find a foundation that is non irritating. Either my skin gets too dry or i get break outs :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

I had combination skin once, so I used the Clinique anti-blemish range. I found it so helpful.

My skin is now dry-combination and I use Clinique as I find they are the only products that work for me.

I would definitely recommend going to Clinique in Brown Thomas and getting a consultation, they are the only one who have ever advised me properly. There is a girl there who is fab at skin care and make up advice, she is the only one at Clinique who I trust properly to give good advice, I can PM you her name if you want.

Again I'd try Bobbi Brown for make-up, they are very good.

But before you go and buy full sized expensive products get some samples to try to make sure the products work for you and don't irritate your skin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭booboo88

I have same problem, with with applying moisturiser before hand, my skin actually gets dry to the point of flaking, only when i put on make up though, as one poster said im going to try to bobbi brown, as i did try and it looked amazing, and they are one of very few who match my skin tone, porcelain:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭willow tree

hi
    maybe you could try moving to more natural products,i use liz earle stuff and my skin is so great now..and maybe a tinted moisturiser might be better for day to day and foundation for nights out? bare minerals make up is good too, natural also so should be kinder...hth

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭theg81der

Have nasty dry patches sometimes (even thou I`ve oily skin :confused:) and nothing used to work and one day I put blistex - you know the stuff for dry lips - its soooooo worked I do it all the time now particularly around my eyes/eyebrows where I alway get dry. I also used to sprits evian spray over my whole face, you used be able to buy it but haven`t seen it in ages maybe there is something similar somewhere.

theg81der wrote: »
    Have nasty dry patches sometimes (even thou I`ve oily skin :confused:) and nothing used to work and one day I put blistex - you know the stuff for dry lips - its soooooo worked I do it all the time now particularly around my eyes/eyebrows where I alway get dry. I also used to sprits evian spray over my whole face, you used be able to buy it but haven`t seen it in ages maybe there is something similar somewhere.
    I thought that was just me. as i do have oily skin.
    I made an absolute boo boo once and put on the dream matt mouse foundation.....yikes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 344 ✭✭Getting there

Have you considered mineral makeup? My sister had similiar issues to you and would have to leave a few makeup free days before an occasion or big night out so that her makeup would site right. It was as if it was sitting 'on top' of her skin if that makes sense? ANyway, she switched to mineral makeup and hasnt looked back since!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭tan11ie

Op from what i read in your post i really feel it's all boils down to your skin care regime and the products your using. I'd advise you to go and get a skin consultation.

tan11ie wrote: »
    Op from what i read in your post i really feel it's all boils down to your skin care regime and the products your using. I'd advise you to go and get a skin consultation.

Problem being their only going to convince her she needs a heap of stuff she doesn`t need.

I recommend : massaging your face with cleanser and then wiping it of with a wipe and then water to remove all residue then eye cream and face cream - I use boots protect and perfect cause its proven scienifically by the way people always ask me about my skin. I think face massage is one of the most important thing. Don`t think more products - think less. My nana has the best skin young ones are always asking her how she kept her skin she tells them to stop putting so much stuff on their faces, exercise and drink water.

• Advertisement

Problem being their only going to convince her she needs a heap of stuff she doesn`t need.

I recommend : massaging your face with cleanser and then wiping it of with a wipe and then water to remove all residue then eye cream and face cream - I use boots protect and perfect cause its proven scienifically by the way people always ask me about my skin. I think face massage is one of the most important thing. Don`t think more products - think less. My nana has the best skin young ones are always asking her how she kept her skin she tells them to stop putting so much stuff on their faces, exercise and drink water.

Totally disagree......anyone that ever comes to me i would never ever force products on them.My aim totally is to help as any other Beautician worth their salt would.

On another note nobody on this thread (including me) can tell exactly what you need OP as this can only be distinguished by a skin consultation.

tan11ie wrote: »
    Totally disagree......anyone that ever comes to me i would never ever force products on them.My aim totally is to help as any other Beautician worth their salt would.

Well thats not my experience have had it up to the eyeballs lately with people trying to sell me crap and they will swear you need it. Not saying your like that tan11 you seem really genuine but you can`t say that other people aren`t or are theres alot of pressure now to bring in revenue.

Well thats not my experience have had it up to the eyeballs lately with people trying to sell me crap and they will swear you need it. Not saying your like that tan11 you seem really genuine but you can`t say that other people aren`t or are theres alot of pressure now to bring in revenue.

I totally understand and yes it does happen that's why it's important to find a good Beautician through recommendation from friends ect...any good Beautician can point you in the direction of products for your skin type that don't break the bank.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭Valentina

Hi OP,
    I used to have very problematic skin- oily forehead, dry around my nose and eyes and normal cheeks! And my make up looked awful after a couple of hours wear :(
    What worked for me was using emulave cream as a soap substitute as it is very mild and doesn't dry or irritate the skin at all.
    I use a dermalogica micro abrasion exfoliator every other day.
    I also use the emulate cream as a moisturiser after removing make up.
    My skin has improved so much I've even gotten a few compliments! :eek:

after your suggestion, i went looking online and ordered some other day :):D

booboo88 wrote: »
    after your suggestion, i went looking online and ordered some other day :):D

Wow someone listened to my suggestion I`m shocked :eek: (I just like finding excuses to put up that face!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Tayla

Wow someone listened to my suggestion I`m shocked :eek: (I just like finding excuses to put up that face!)

Hehe it's my favourite face too!! :eek::eek:

yup :) and then went into debenhams and bought some benefit make up remover....which means i could have it all now instead of waiting on delivery.....but theres a method to my madness :)
    i usually cant stand the assistants hassling me. like in bt in cork, last time i went in 4 times i had to tell her i was just looking :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84 ✭✭Lisa8786

Thanks so much guys. I think I should hopefully have enough tips now to set me on the road to my quest for perfect or near perfect skin! good to know I'm not alone anyway and Purple Bobbin if you could pm me the name of that lady that would be great and to the g81der your nana is probably dead right, mine would say the same!

• Advertisement
Advertisement