Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MS and Avonex

Options
  • 11-06-2011 8:24pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi guy's/girls my wife was put on Avonex a few months ago and is still getting bad side effects, has anyone been on this long term and how are they getting on. I know that everyone is different and some don't have side effects as bad, she was on rebif and it was not as bad as the Avonex so I would just like to know are others getting on.
    Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

What kind of side effects?Was on it a good while but started relapsing so am now on Tysabri.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

What kind of side effects?Was on it a good while but started relapsing so am now on Tysabri.

A lot of flu like symptoms, bad headache, night tremors and sweats and basically the next day is taken out of the week.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Does she take paracetemol before she injects?A chillow is good for the sweats. http://www.chillow.co.uk/2010/template/
    It should ease off somewhat as she gets more used to it.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Thanks bhobc, yes she is on the paracetamol and cool pads I guess she will just have to put up with for a bit longer "poor girl" and hope it improves.
    I hope your relapse wasn't too bad for you and that the tysabri works.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭femur61

I am betaferon 10+ now and still take paracetomal/neurofen prior to injection. I may have to take some the next day but always before. Try neurofen, just make sure always take with food. I have checked numerous times it is fine to take long term but make sure always on a full stomach.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭barrackali

I was diagnosed with MS in September 2001, I've gone through A-Z of the treatments/therapys for MS....I really had a bad time with Avonex. I took it for 4 months and then my neuro took me off it, very bad side effects. I just felt weaker and sicker on the drug than without it.

Barrackali, have you tried Tysabri?

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭barrackali

I was on tysabri for 5 months, I felt quite ill during the infusions...but I ignored it. 5 months down the line I could barely see out of my eyes they were that swollen....basically I was found to be allergic to the drug.

Now I've been referred to Dr Niall Tubridy (yeah Ryan's brother) in Vincents, I will see how that goes.

oh hell, you have it rough. What about LDN?Hope you get sorted, Vincent's has a great name neuro-wise.

Advertisement