Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Considering becoming a vegetarian

Options
  • 11-06-2011 8:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭

Hey all, basically I'm a 17 year old male and I'm considering becoming a vegetarian. I've been thinking about this for weeks now, and I really can't justify eating meat, it really is just so wrong in my eyes. I don't think that humans need to eat meat, and that it's morally wrong to do so. Thing is, I highly doubt that my parents will be too happy with this! Another issue is that as a 17 year old lad I'm sure I'll have a lot of justifying to do to a lot of people, something which I don't think I should have to. Basically I just want to know, how should I go about becoming a vegetarian, as regards to what food I should eat to replace meat. Any replies will be very gratefully recieved:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭actua11

I made the transition at around your age so I can probable relate. Going 4 years now so along with everone else on the veg*n forum it shows that humans really don't need meat!

As for what foods to eat to replace meat, a food chart like this is good at giving a rough guide

pyramidvegetarian01.th.jpg

At the beginning, fake "meats" like quorn I found were great at making the transition from meat a little easier e.g substituting chicken fillets for quorn fillets.

A little planning goes a long way though. If you work out in advance where you can get sufficent protein, iron, b12, etc. it makes things easier.

As for justifying your position to people educate yourself as much as you can on the subject to give yourself the best chance to properly explain it to people. Parents tend to be against this, usually out of worry that a vegeterian diet may leave you deficient in some nutrient or other, so try to understand their point of view, they're only trying to look out for you. However if you show them that you're in control of your diet and are remaining healthy on it their protestations should fade.

A final case is that people may say that your're simply going through a "teenage phase". Again as people become familiar with you living on a vegeterian diet, such comments will fade.

As such, it's good that your are considering the change, and I wish you the best of luck if you do :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

Heya ItsAWindUp! We've had many similar posts to your in the past - perhaps you might get some useful info from some previous posts on the topic.

Thinking of turning vegetarian
    Today I am turning vegetarian
    How did you become a vegetarian
    Becoming a vegetarian?
    Easiest way to become vegetarian

Funnily enough those threads are from 2011, 2010, 2009 and 2008 :D But all the replies are still very much valid! I hope they help you out :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭ItsAWindUp

actua11 wrote: »
    I made the transition at around your age so I can probable relate. Going 4 years now so along with everone else on the veg*n forum it shows that humans really don't need meat!

As for what foods to eat to replace meat, a food chart like this is good at giving a rough guide

pyramidvegetarian01.th.jpg

At the beginning, fake "meats" like quorn I found were great at making the transition from meat a little easier e.g substituting chicken fillets for quorn fillets.

A little planning goes a long way though. If you work out in advance where you can get sufficent protein, iron, b12, etc. it makes things easier.

As for justifying your position to people educate yourself as much as you can on the subject to give yourself the best chance to properly explain it to people. Parents tend to be against this, usually out of worry that a vegeterian diet may leave you deficient in some nutrient or other, so try to understand their point of view, they're only trying to look out for you. However if you show them that you're in control of your diet and are remaining healthy on it their protestations should fade.

A final case is that people may say that your're simply going through a "teenage phase". Again as people become familiar with you living on a vegeterian diet, such comments will fade.

As such, it's good that your are considering the change, and I wish you the best of luck if you do :)

Thanks for the reply actua11:) I have actually eaten quorn before (vegetarian aunt) and liked it, so that won't be a problem.

Heya ItsAWindUp! I should have replied sooner. We've had many similar posts to your in the past - perhaps you might get some useful info from some previous posts on the topic :)

How did you become a vegetarian
    Thinking of turning vegetarian
    Today I am turning vegetarian
    Easiest way to become vegetarian

Funnily enough those threads are from 2010, 2009 and 2008 :D But all the replies are still very much valid! I hope they help you out :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭dazed+confused

Best of luck with it, hope it works out for you.

Just stop yourself if you start getting like that preachy vegetarian in the Irish Come Dine with me, man she was annoying!

• Advertisement

'Tis cool :) And there are plenty of foods you can cook and add to your meal where the meat would have gone. There are endless possibilities! You just have to experiment a bit and see how you go.

As mentioned fake meats are an easy substitute to get you started, as that way it's not too daunting to think of 'different' meals, and it's helpful for your parents too, so that they don't stress (and parents really do stress!) about what to cook. There are plenty of choices for fake meat in the freezer cabinet in Tesco and Dunnes, as well as a wider selection in health food stores, though they tend to be a bit pricier. I'd certainly recommend a turkey or beef (veggie) roast. Quorn do one (available in Tesco/ Dunnes, as well as Redwood (certain health food stores).

Otherwise get into your beans e.g. chickpeas, pinto beans, butter (lima) beans etc. And have a google on vegweb and other recipe sites if you have an ingredient and want some ideas as to what to cook.

And most importantly, if you have any random veggie question - ask us!

'Tis cool :) And there are plenty of foods you can cook and add to your meal where the meat would have gone. There are endless possibilities! You just have to experiment a bit and see how you go.

As mentioned fake meats are an easy substitute to get you started, as that way it's not too daunting to think of 'different' meals, and it's helpful for your parents too, so that they don't stress (and parents really so stress!) about what to cook. There are plenty of choices for fake meat in the freezer cabinet in Tesco and Dunnes, as well as a wider selection in health food stores, though they tend to be a bit pricier. I'd certainly recommend a turkey or beef (veggie) roast. Quorn do one (available in Tesco/ Dunnes, as well as Redwood (certain health food stores).

Otherwise get into your beans e.g. chickpeas, pinto beans, buetter (lima) beans etc. And have a google on vegweb and other recipe sites if you have an ingredient and want some ideas as to what to cook.

And most importantly, if you have any random veggie question - ask us!

Thanks a million:) There's actually a health food shop in my town, would it be worth my while popping in there and asking maybe about supplements to take that might ensure I'm getting all of my protein etc?

Just stop yourself if you start getting like that preachy vegetarian in the Irish Come Dine with me, man she was annoying!
    I heard about this and had to watch and see. GOOD GOD! I don't know anyone so annoying!! *Sigh* I'm going to pretend I never saw it and do my best to forget about it. It really hasn't given vegetarians a good name to those that don't already know any vegetarians.

ItsAWindUp wrote: »
    Thanks a million:) There's actually a health food shop in my town, would it be worth my while popping in there and asking maybe about supplements to take that might ensure I'm getting all of my protein etc?

You don't need to worry about supplements at all. If you were turning vegan I'd say the only thing to worry about would be B12, but you aren't. Just eat a usual 'healthy balanced diet' and you shouldn't need to worry about supplements. Everything you can eat has all the nutrients you need (iron, B vitamins, etc). And protein is in everything (well, most things!). All sorts of beans (indeed your old tin of baked beans!), pasta, cous cous, etc. Just have a look at the nutrients listing of anything you buy and you will see there are amounts in most food stuffs. The beans etc will have a higher amount, and if you want an easy filling and protein filled meal, open a tin of chickpeas and put some with some pasta and sauce, or whatever your meal is. If you want to mix and match you can always freeze the rest of the beans and have a different variety the next day, or the day after, and get back to the original pack in a week or two when you want them again.

Of course, the fake meats are made of myco-protein too. You will not be in need :D

Thanks lads ye've been brilliant! To be honest with you after doing some online research I've come to the conclusion that, for me anyways, it is simply morally indefensible to eat meat. It really is. There are no good arguments for eating meat that could stand up against the reasons for not doing so. I'll let ye know how I get on anyways:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

ItsAWindUp wrote: »
    Another issue is that as a 17 year old lad I'm sure I'll have a lot of justifying to do to a lot of people, something which I don't think I should have to.
    Heads up on this: I was a 15 year old lad when I went veggie, and yes, I got a bit of slagging (it usually started out in the form of genuine questions that descended into farce).

Nine years on (ugh, I'm old!) and I'm still getting the same rubbish, sometimes from the same people. I learned long ago to just not bother engaging in conversations like this unless it's with people who are genuinely interested. You don't have to justify yourself to anyone: it's your body, you decide what to put in it. And it's usually a lot easier if you don't try!

Sorry if that sounded negative, it's really no big deal, just a heads up that people will be weird about it and it won't go away when you're finished being a teenager! :p

It can be kind of funny sometimes. Best question I ever got was: "Would you eat a baby?" That one kind of came out of left field... :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭NecroSteve

It's a lot easier than it looks to switch over to a dead-animal-free diet. Fake meats are good for smoothing the transition but they are technically junk food, so sooner or later you should try to deconstruct the whole standard Western idea of what a meal actually is. The idea that meals should include a stodgy high-protein element is a bit of a farce, to say the least.

Seeing as you're going veggie for moral reasons, it's only a matter of time before you decide to go vegan. Read up on the dairy industry and its practices and you'll see what I mean. And also, look into animal testing and products of rendering. No sense in withdrawing your support for the muscle-tissue industry while paying for other body parts and fluids!

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Ouchette

NecroSteve wrote: »
    Fake meats are good for smoothing the transition but they are technically junk food

In what way are they junk food?

Just ordered a vegetarian meal from the Indian there, I feel so proud:D Over the past few days I have eaten meat the odd time, but less than half of what I normally would, I'm just trying to ease myself into the whole vegetarian diet.

Advertisement