Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another fine restaurant closed :( Spur Steakhouse Limerick

Options
  • 11-06-2011 9:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭

This is what I got in my email:

Dear Patrik,

Sadly for reasons of economics Navajo Spur at the Crescent Shopping Centre closed for business yesterday after 10 years of trade.

We are truly sorry to say good bye to all our VIPS but should you be passing through Dublin please use your VIP card in Iowa Spur at the Liffey Valley Shopping Centre.

Thank you for supporting the restaurant over the years and we do hope to welcome you to Iowa Spur some time soon.

Kindest Regards

Not very good news... It is not only about good steak but that place was nice to go there. Not to mention that it was favorite restaurant for my kids as they could play in there while waiting for food.... :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

Oh God, I have such a different opinion to you!

Got dinner there about 2 years ago with an ex and it was quite honestly the worst meal I've ever had.

The garlic bread was a baguette smothered in garlic butter and stuck in the microwave for about 2 minutes, no actual cooking at all. It was soggy and gross.

The steak I got was burned and aside from that, it was so tough I couldn't cut it. When I eventually got it cut, it tasted like dirt. Literal dirt. You know when you accidentally get a taste of dust or dirt in your mouth? That's how the steak tasted, and the slab thing it was on was dirty underneath. Aside from that, our drinks didn't arrive til 10 minutes after our main, despite asking again and again, and we waited 30 minutes for the bill.

When we got the bill, we decided to speak to the manager, who was a rude git, even though we were still willing to pay. We made it clear we were happy to pay, even though our food was so bad we only ate a few bites each, but he just snapped the bill out of our hands and told us to leave.

Honestly so glad that dump is closed. About time, it's atrocious!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭ninky

ooohhh...I have to say I loved their enchiladas and the chocolate fudge cake or brownie or whatever it was the yummiest i've had..it was microwaved alright but very nice...and it was great place to take the kids to eat out more than anything else, so it'll be missed by me too..wonder what they're replacing it with though..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭booboo88

Got dinner there once, it was actually horrific. My food was actually so tough i couldnt eat it, my exs chicken was under cooked. We left and went over to kfc instead. And fo a fast food place, much better :eek:

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Nooo! :(

I've been going to Spur for years! Was always our treat when driving up to Clare when we were younger! Still is on the rare occasion!

I grew up with Spur. Lived in Botswana where it was the main restaurant and as soon as it moved to Ireland my family went there anytime we were near Liffey Valley or Limerick!

People appear to have mixed experiences with the place but I have always loved it, although it will never be as good as the original South African and Setswana Spurs

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

Complete chain restaurant muck. Good riddance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

The one in Liffey Valley is a hole aswell. Avoid!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,755 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

I'm surprised it lasted so long. The food was dire. Feel bad for the staff, had a few friends who worked there over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭smiles302

That place was lovely when it first opened. I adored whatever sauce they served with the chips... Then it went down hill fast.

It couldn't even manage to compete with Eddie Rockets.

Remember when there used to be a queue to get into the place?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,417 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

smiles302 wrote: »
    That place was lovely when it first opened. I adored whatever sauce they served with the chips... Then it went down hill fast.
    Heinz Salad cream -

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭smiles302

Not that one. The BBQ one with their logo on it?

Been years since I was in there though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,755 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

smiles302 wrote: »
    Not that one. The BBQ one with their logo on it?

Been years since I was in there though

If you have any South African/ African stores near you, they often sell it in a bottle.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭blackdog2

God, I used to go to the Liffey Valley one just for the onion string/ring/things

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭lamoss

We went up to Newry on sunday and were going to go to the spur in the buttercrane for lunch. When we got there it was closed up.

Put my face up to the window for a good look and saw lots of stuff piled up inside and some of the cooking equipment has been moved out as well.

It must have just closed in the last couple of weeks or so as I came across a comment on another site commenting on the food only last month ! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭hadit2here

Iowa Spur liffey valley one is close also now .... anyone know why ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I'm afraid this thread is too old to be revived.
    Closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement