Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Easy Electives

Options
  • 11-06-2011 9:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭

So I'm looking for an easy elective......I did poorly in my Christmas exams this college year, did slightly better in the second semester. Had a bit of a tough year.
    I only obtained 35 credits and for me to progress to 4th year (2.48 GPA needed) I need to resit all my fails, pass them, substitute one elective and get at least a B in that.

So I'm basically looking for a relatively easy elective to do so I can concentrate my efforts on my other repeats. Thanks! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,011 ✭✭✭✭bnt

If you search for "easy elective" you can find many previous threads on the topic - but I'm a bit wary of them, since it's possible that lecturers are reading the same threads and thinking "O RLY?"

I can see you're in Science ... can you find something that lets you "leverage" any past experience? I'm doing Engineering now but have some computer programming experience, so my idea of an "easy elective" was COMP20080, "Computer Programming for Engineers". :p

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭pljudge321

bnt wrote: »
    If you search for "easy elective" you can find many previous threads on the topic - but I'm a bit wary of them, since it's possible that lecturers are reading the same threads and thinking "O RLY?"

I can see you're in Science ... can you find something that lets you "leverage" any past experience? I'm doing Engineering now but have some computer programming experience, so my idea of an "easy elective" was COMP20080, "Computer Programming for Engineers". :p

Ah, the programming module where the labs consist of copying last weeks code and changing two lines or so. This of course is offset by having to walk out to newstead once a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭SmashingPilot

Ye, I know what you mean. I also don't want to get stuck in a module that's supposedly easy but boring as hell. When I say easy I also mean one with minimal lectures and no labs, I did Computer Programming for Engineers (first year module) last semester. It was easy enough but the effort of labs each week. :o

I'm probably asking for too much from a module but surely there's one in there. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Zephyr91

When I say easy I also mean one with minimal lectures and no labs

So you want a magic module? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,011 ✭✭✭✭bnt

pljudge321 wrote: »
    Ah, the programming module where the labs consist of copying last weeks code and changing two lines or so. This of course is offset by having to walk out to newstead once a week.
    It wasn't quite that easy, I have to say - not if you were new to Objects as I was. (Operator Overloading was fun.) One nice thing about the labs is that we got the problems in advance, so we could do part or all of it to suit our own schedule. Newstead has two of the best computer rooms on campus, yet there are almost always some computers free - because it requires a walk to get there.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭MissRealist

COMP20090 Intro to Cog science. Sounds like a pain in the a** but I did it last semester. It's easy as they come. Two lectures a week, the lecture notes are solid. You take two exams. One's a mid term... you have a choice of twelve questions and you have to write short answers for ten of them. Read your notes and you'll get near on 100% in that. That's worth forty percent of your grade. The other sixty is gotten from longer answer questions in the final exam (you have a good choice here too)... By longer answer I mean I wrote a page and a half on each and came out with an A+. Easy module, vaguely interesting. Downsides include the fact that it was in Newstead (i.e half a mile away!)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Downsides include the fact that it was in Newstead (i.e half a mile away!)

Lectures were also on in the computer science building! Having to go to Newstead for cog sci would have been a pain >_>

Lucky you! The comp sci ones clashed with Endocrine and Immune for me so I had the joys of the walk :rolleyes:

Lucky you! The comp sci ones clashed with Endocrine and Immune for me so I had the joys of the walk :rolleyes:

There's times I was sad about dropping Biology and Chemistry and not persuing that end of Science, then I hear people talking about Endocrine, make CS seem so much better >_>

It was better this year apparently... They changed the marking scheme so it was much easier to pass than it has been. It was actually reasonably interesting once you got past the fact that it involved listening to some of the most irritating lecturers on the planet :rolleyes:

How'd you manage to get from Science to comp sci if you don't mind me asking? I didn't think it was possible... Isn't it a different entry?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭pljudge321

It wasn't quite that easy, I have to say - not if you were new to Objects as I was. (Operator Overloading was fun.) One nice thing about the labs is that we got the problems in advance, so we could do part or all of it to suit our own schedule. Newstead has two of the best computer rooms on campus, yet there are almost always some computers free - because it requires a walk to get there.

Okay, maybe not that easy, but still pretty damn easy, especially if you had done EEEN20010 the semester before.

It was better this year apparently... They changed the marking scheme so it was much easier to pass than it has been. It was actually reasonably interesting once you got past the fact that it involved listening to some of the most irritating lecturers on the planet :rolleyes:

How'd you manage to get from Science to comp sci if you don't mind me asking? I didn't think it was possible... Isn't it a different entry?

You could go from science into CS up until last year, they removed it from omnibus then, so this years second years could do it, but this years first years couldn't get into it.

(I did CS and Chem til xmas and it was just a headache... >_<)

Fad wrote: »
    You could go from science into CS up until last year, they removed it from omnibus then, so this years second years could do it, but this years first years couldn't get into it.

(I did CS and Chem til xmas and it was just a headache... >_<)

That explains it then. Chem and CS? All I can say is Ewwwww really...

I'm just finished second year... The fact that I didn't even know I could do CS is a bit worrying. Really need better advertisement :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭smk89

Hitchhikers guide to philosophy is so easy you have to be in a coma to fail. There's also a psychology elective that's 40% getting your notes signed.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Introductory Statistics (STAT10010) is an easy elective but it's still beneficial to know the basics about statistics as statistics are useful almost regardless of what your degree is. It has two lectures, a tutorial and a computer lab (every second week) though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

Algorithmic problem solving. Nuff said

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭DeadlyTwig

Food, diet and health. 3 MCQ's. Really nice module, you could probably get away with not attending lectures too. Exams in week 4 (25%), week 8 (25%) and end of semester (50%)

simples :D

DeadlyTwig wrote: »
    Food, diet and health. 3 MCQ's. Really nice module, you could probably get away with not attending lectures too. Exams in week 4 (25%), week 8 (25%) and end of semester (50%)

simples :D

I had a friend almost fail this module. Some reading is required. Not much. Also going to the MCQ's is always a good idea. Seems like common sense but.... :rolleyes:

Advertisement