Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Single leaf with plasterboard insulation?

• 11-06-2011 10:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭

We are in the middle of looking at extending out the back, 7m x 4m
    Excuse our ignorance, if we knew the answers we wouldnt be asking

Is it realistically possible to have a reasonably well insulated room built with single leaf and thermal plasterboard.

If so what blocks are recommended, have been looking at the poroton blocks but cant find prices online

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

hairyslug wrote: »
    We are in the middle of looking at extending out the back, 7m x 4m
    Excuse our ignorance, if we knew the answers we wouldnt be asking

Is it realistically possible to have a reasonably well insulated room built with single leaf and thermal plasterboard.

If so what blocks are recommended, have been looking at the poroton blocks but cant find prices online

Cheers

cavity blocks with a baton is good enough. works well in my home .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Paul.C

poroton blocks are not cheep, i can tell you that much. They are designed for a single leaf so they will be fine. I wouldnt nail to them as they may lose their insulating properties. If I was using them for what you are doing I would blob on insulated plasterboard for extra insulation. Insulated plasterboard is basically kingspan or quinntherm glued to plasterboard. This blobed onto the inside and a good render outside and your sucking diesel:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 318 ✭✭brendankelly

Poroton blocks will not take nails and it is also nearly impossible to stick a plaster board to them. If you go for Poroton you will render them with a lime render and plaster them with a lime plaster or dry line the inside using a breathable board.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Single leaf - I'd recommend using Insulated Slabs (as thick as you can afford - available in wide range of sizes - I've used 62.5mm in parents home recently - great results), fixed to 2x2, securely fixed to 9" cavity blocks.

Depending on your circumstances and requirements, it might be an option to use insulated boards on the ceiling also.

Al....:)

Advertisement