Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shower Question

• 11-06-2011 10:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭

Hello folks

I have a question regarding what type of shower I need to fit.

The location of the shower is in a downstairs bathroom...
    The hot water tank is also downstairs, approx 1m above floor level.

I already have an electric shower upstairs.

So what kind of shower can I fit downstairs?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

The type of shower you can fit depends on a couple of things

1, Are you willing to pull the floors up upstairs.

2. Do you want another pumped electric or would a mains suit.

3. Would a shower down stairs be ok if it were tank fed. ie hot and cold comes from the copper tank.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Arddon

well joey
    cheers for the response

1. i wouldnt be willing to pull up any floors upstairs - but i dont think this matters - some other info i should have maybe mentioned is that the second shower which i am fitting is located at the back of a flat roof extension.

2. a mains would suit...i'm not too fussy...is there something about having 2 electric showers in the one house...require a second breaker or something...or maybe i'm dreaming?!

3. i think it probably would
    as the tank is only a meter off the ground what would the water pressure be like? or would the mains shower have to be pumped or is this an option?

cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Sparkpea

Is your current electric shower mains fed or is it pumped electric like Joey has assumed?

If its mains fed then you're better getting a gravity thermostatic downstairs.

Give the fact you've said you've an upstairs and the bathroom is downstairs you will have ample pressure. The fact that your hot water tank is on the same level as where the new shower will be and its 1m above floor level wont really matter because the pressure is coming from the cold water storage tank which is probably in the loft (upstairs).

It makes economic sense to have one shower each.

In summer heat is not on, use electric shower, thus not having to burn oil/gas for hw

In water heat is on - so you have plenty of hot water, why have 2 electric showers and pay more in electric to heat water that you already have?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

The type of shower you can fit depends on a couple of things

1, Are you willing to pull the floors up upstairs.

2. Do you want another pumped electric or would a mains suit.

3. Would a shower down stairs be ok if it were tank fed. ie hot and cold comes from the copper tank.
    Arddon wrote: »
    well joey
    cheers for the response

1. i wouldnt be willing to pull up any floors upstairs - but i dont think this matters - some other info i should have maybe mentioned is that the second shower which i am fitting is located at the back of a flat roof extension.

2. a mains would suit...i'm not too fussy...is there something about having 2 electric showers in the one house...require a second breaker or something...or maybe i'm dreaming?!

3. i think it probably would
    as the tank is only a meter off the ground what would the water pressure be like? or would the mains shower have to be pumped or is this an option?

cheers

If you can run a pipe from your attic tank then you can run 2 pumped electric showers but you need a priority switch as both cant run together

If you run a mains shower you will save on cost and wont need a priority switch. You will also have the pumped electric as back up if the power goes.

Yes you can use a tank fed hot and cold shower downstairs provided there is sufficent flow from the hot. I imagine if your hot tank is on the landan there is.....

Advertisement