Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

tractor pto question for everyone

• 11-06-2011 10:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 227 ✭✭

anybody on here ame across this problem before and how did ye solve it???? on our tractors they have oil ptos which come on very suddenly and are nearly impossible to use a topper with..we have both trailed and side mounted toppers and with either as soon as you press the button for the pto the shear bolt breaks....ideas around this anyone???? thanks all....

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭pajero12

There's a clutch pack on the shaft coming out of the gearbox, Thats probably worn or has disintegrated, what tractor is it? An easy alternative till it gets sorted is to stop the tractor, engage the pto then start it, Turning the engine should engage it slowly!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

pajero12 wrote: »
    There's a clutch pack on the shaft coming out of the gearbox, Thats probably worn or has disintegrated, what tractor is it? An easy alternative till it gets sorted is to stop the tractor, engage the pto then start it, Turning the engine should engage it slowly!

It's not every tractor that will start if the PTO is engaged.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭pajero12

Bizzum wrote: »
    It's not every tractor that will start if the PTO is engaged.

Hence why I asked what tractor it was!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

Just keeping ya on your toes Pajero!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

The New Holland has a soft start button which engages the pto slowly - prevents the topper spitting out shear bolts anyway :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 227 ✭✭fastrac94

we have same tractors at home and all do the same thing and even recently had a brand new hurliman on demo and they done the same thing....the same i use topper on will start with pto engaged but only if its a new shear bolt if it has any bit done it will jus spit it out....this topper was bought new last year on the word of the salesman and manufactur that it would work perfectly on any tractor regardless of pto design....first day we took it out before i left our yard i found i could break the shearbolts by just engaging the pto.....rang salesman and all he said was to but stronger bolts in,now to me a 10.9 or a 12.9 as salesman suggested are NOT shearbolts so i got them to put it in writing what they told me and now after 2 new replacment gearboxs supplied by manufactur im still no better off.....ideas anyone??/

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

hey fastrac are you using 540/1000 pto?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

On Shearbolts, 10.9 and 12.9 refer to the material used to make the shear bolts. You will see this stamped on all bolt heads, regardless of size in very small writing.
    12.9 is stronger material than 10.9 so less likely to break. 10.9 is also stronger than 8.8. Most toppers use an 8.8 as standard. Be careful though as a stronger shear bolt may damage the tractor. It's there to break afterall at a certain load (torque) so if you put in a stronger one, the tractor, gearbox, drives cluth etc are subjeted a to higher load.

It was discussed on here before. Read this;
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055981982

As for soft starting the PTO, sounds like you need an external slip-clutch on the PTO shaft.
    http://www.farming4less.com/servlet/the-468/PTO-Slip-Clutch-Sale/Detail
    Don't know who sell them in Ireland.

using it on 540 speed but also tryd 1000 and 750 eco and made no difference....would one of those xternal slip clutches work for me.would i not just burn the friction material of the discs on start up???

The Slip Clutch will only be slipping for a few secs at starp up. That shouldn't do it any harm. Do you have the revs way down in the trator, when engaging the PTO?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Dupont

this might be stupid:o but i see the pto is oil operated,so if you pull the lever for the spool valves and engage pto would it put a bit of demand on oil flow and engage pto more slowly:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

fastrac94 wrote: »
    would one of those xternal slip clutches work for me.would i not just burn the friction material of the discs on start up???

THey use slip clutches on the 10' mowers - eg I replaced one on a John Deere 1360 - so you will be able to find a slip clutch that can handle the lighter topper load.

I'm not sure how they are rated, one way could be the hp needed to drive the machine. Try to have as much info as you can about the machine your driving - machine name, manafacturer, hp rating - when you contact the slip clutch supplier

• Closed Accounts Posts: 733 ✭✭✭jeff greene

Instead of spending money on a new PTO with a slip clutch, get the PTO checked out, driven alot of different makes and while some are sharp most are fine

dont think i have a problem with our pto unless ther is sumthing wrong wth every tractor ive tryed.....not a stupid idea wth the spoolvalves,i tryd that but it made no difference......

SOFT START TO PROTECT YOU PTO AND IMPLEMENTS

New Holland introduced Soft Start PTO engagement to help protect both the tractor and implement. Now well proven, the Soft Start option on T5000 models modulates the engagement of drive to prevent sudden shock loads transferring to the implement. This helps reduce maintenance costs, reliably engaging drive time after time.

From;
    http://agriculture.newholland.com/uk/en/Products/Tractors/T5000New/Pages/PTOandHidraulics_details.aspx

You either get some sort of SOFT START for the tractor or some SLIP CLUTCH for the PTO shaft. A shock absorber/coubler like those on the wagtail fertiliser spreaders would help too.

Advertisement