Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mechatronics and Physics?

• 11-06-2011 11:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Hello there, I am considering mechatronics course as one of my choices, I am doing HL engineering and I'm applying for different engineering courses as well.
    However, I have never done physics even thought I would be interested in learning that subject. Would you reckon I'd be okay without physics experience doing that course?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭dsane1

Hey, I just finished the 3 year ordinary degree last summer. If you are doing engineering you should have no probs. The physics starts off very basic. I had never done physics or engineering before this course. There was a very high drop out rate from the class though. We finished with only 4/5 in the class. In my opinion the drop out was not due to the course being too difficult, more so people just didnt bother turning up for lectures and thus struggled in the labs.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 rinleezwins

dsane1 wrote: »
    Hey, I just finished the 3 year ordinary degree last summer. If you are doing engineering you should have no probs. The physics starts off very basic. I had never done physics or engineering before this course. There was a very high drop out rate from the class though. We finished with only 4/5 in the class. In my opinion the drop out was not due to the course being too difficult, more so people just didnt bother turning up for lectures and thus struggled in the labs.

Thanks, brightens things up a little.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭brendanL

Would it be an advantage to have done physics? hell yes. Do you need it? hell no ;D... all subjects start off with explaining it all from the very beginning.

Go to all lectures, and all labs... and you'll never have any trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 rinleezwins

Sounds like I would really like this course.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 tyna

Sorry for going off topic but has anyone done the 2yr online mechatronics degree after having completed an electrical apprenticeship or do you need to do a qualifier course????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭ChrisM

@tyna: Afaik you need a level 6 or a FETAC qualification (Mechatronics, Mechanical, Electronic, Electrical, Physics) to gain entry to the part time Ordinary Degree in Mechatronics.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 tyna

Thanks ChrisM. The certificate received upon completion of the Electrical apprenticeship is awarded by Fetac and states "Level 6 Advanced Certificate" im wondering is this sufficent grounds for entry?? or has anyone gone down this route?? or how did they find it??

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭ChrisM

If you want to gain entry with a level 6 FETAC certificate I think you need to prove you have at least 3 years industrial experience. If you do gain entry you will have to take a few bridging modules (Analogue and Digital Electronics, Maths and Mechanics) to get you up to speed.

From the website:

Minimum Entry Requirements

Higher Certificate (NFQ level 6) with pass grade in a cognate area (or equivalent qualification). Applicants who have completed a FETAC Level 6 award in a craft such as Electrical, Electrical Instrumentation or Fabrication and have 3 years post-qualification experience in an industrial environment. Such applicant will be required to take bridging modules. Students should have access to a PC and broadband.

Aims

The programme is targeted towards those working in a related industry, who have already achieved the award of Higher Certificate in Engineering (Electronics/Mechanical/Mechatronics or related) (NFQ level 6) or with a FETAC level 6 craft award (subject to conditions), who desire to upskill to a Bachelor of Engineering in Mechatronics (NFQ level 7).

Advertisement