Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rudder.

Options
  • 12-06-2011 12:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Hi,

After a gap of many years I have taken my Tutor 40 out of the attic (unflown) in the hope of getting it into the air.

I built the thing when I was 15 and to my credit did an alright job with everything other than the pushrods. I've swapped the rudder and elevator p.r's because I wasn't getting any movement elevator wise which is now rectified. Seeing as the other pushrod is now far too short I've used two bits of plywood to keep the rudder in place.

Is this wise? Bar ground handling there shouldn't be much of an effect (even though I am beginning to have my doubts.)

On a side I need to find a club in Cork. Is CMAC the only option or has the community expanded?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭peter bermingham

are you saying you used ply wood to hold the rudder straight now you have no rudder not a good idea say when you landing get a gust of wind an it goes one way or the other you thave no way of correcting it also the same for taking off theirs a good chance the plane wont take of in a straight line for the sake of ordering a new pushrod or get the rudder working have everything working right its their for a reason also i would join a club its well worth it save you alot of time and money phoneix flight sim is very good for learning on have the same plane great plane for learning have a look here will give your local club and details http://www.maci.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Landing and flying can all be done without the rudder on aircraft with ailerons, its taking off the ground is where the problem will be, and for that reason alone it would not be a good idea to lock the rudder into a fixed position.

I had a servo failure on my p51 mustang a few years ago, it was on the throttle and intermittent at first so i moved it to the rudder where it eventually stopped working. I did fly that for quite a few flights with no rudder without much problem, but it had such a short fast take off run that i could take off without rudder easily. Its since been sorted though, much better to have it, so now i can go to takeoff speed more gradually, and taxi on the ground etc.

But on a trainer the plane might take a bit of a run to get up anyway, and so the rudder will be needed. For learning as well, it would be a good idea to have all 4 controls working.

Definitely find someone to help with that type of plane, i remember only too well trying myself years ago on a similar type trainer in the late 80`s. They are easy enough to learn on, but need assistance to learn at the start.

Advertisement