Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Standing in the O2 cattle market

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Best gig I seen there was RATM last summer, fantastic gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

Am I the only one who loves the o2??

sound is class.
    no massive queues for things apart from maybe toilets but everything keeps moving.
    great sightlines.
    the give you holders and lids for your pints so you dont spill them all over people-very handy.

some of the best gigs ive ever been at have been there and the venue has contributed to my enjoyment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

I would'nt pay €75 if God was playing in the O2

Roger Waters is better, and it was worth every penny! Seated was €90, I'd pay it again. Best gig I was ever at

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

df1985 wrote: »
    Am I the only one who loves the o2??

sound is class.
    no massive queues for things apart from maybe toilets but everything keeps moving.
    great sightlines.
    the give you holders and lids for your pints so you dont spill them all over people-very handy.

some of the best gigs ive ever been at have been there and the venue has contributed to my enjoyment.

I like it. Went late last year to a sell out and when I went close to the stage I was surrounded by sweaty messes with no shirts on so I moved towards the back. Good view, good sound, no queuing for pints, had plenty of space when i moved to the back and didn't have to queue going to the toilet. No complaints really. Bouncers/security working there seemed fairly sound as well even when sorting crowd trouble.

For Ireland it's the best venue I've been to. I've been to the Olympia, Ambassador (both cramped), Marlay park, Punchestown (both outdoor, both had massive queues and fairly crap pints in comparison to the O2 which managed to keep them cold before serving). The only thing the O2 doesn't have is decent places to eat but I hit jimmy chung's all you can eat before hand anyway :D

I would'nt pay €75 if God was playing in the O2

The chances of Springsteen play the O2 are very slim.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Ally Dick wrote: »
    They are cramming up to 13,000 people into the downstairs standing

Absolute bull****. 14,500 fit into the whole venue when there is seating and standing. Do you really think that there is only 1,500 seats in the O2?

Anyway, why is this thread allowed?

Thought we couldn't talk about it when Gigs fuck n suck :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭upandcumming

Never ever ever again. I went to see Roger Waters in the O2. I thought he was only playing one night so when I could only get standing room on Ticketmaster, I just went with it. Boy, it was a mistake. For starters €75 yoyos a ticket. Steep enough at the best of times, but worth it to see one of Roger's live shows. I couldn't believe it when I walked in the door, and headed for the hotdog stand. I looked across and I saw the bricks of the wall in front of me. I was very impressed with the set design. I turned to my brother and said "the back of the set is amazing isn't it ? Imagine what it will be like when we walk through into the concert venue". He replied "Eh, we're actually IN the concert venue already". Incredibly in the new O2 set up, the plebs who stand don't go from the bar INTO another area to stand. Standing beside the bar, the candy store, or the hot dog stand is all part of what you pay your €75 for !!!! I couldn't believe it. The whole night, I was surrounded by people who wanted to drink themselves into oblivion, or go to the toilet and excrete the beer out...eh I like a drink as much as the next man, but why oh why is it always in the middle of a concert, when some people are there for their enjoyment of the artist, and don't want to have to put up with hammered drunks staggering around invading their space. I'll never ever stand in the O2 again. It's a con job. They are cramming up to 13,000 people into the downstairs standing. Welcome to rip off greedy Ireland. Maybe the Point was smaller, but you never felt as if you were being walked on, and the bar was away from the downstairs standing area. Whoever designed the new O2 needs to be shot with balls of their own shyte
    I have a problem with the design of your post. Ever hear of paragraphs?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

OutlawPete wrote: »
    Anyway, why is this thread allowed?

Thought we couldn't talk about it when Gigs fuck n suck :confused:

Yep, Giggs had a gagging order...somebody tweeted about it though.

<...finds coat check ticket> ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

I was in the Point once (yes, the Point) and that was to see Paige and Plant :cool:
    Wish I appreciated it a bit more, wasted on a 15 year old who listened to zeppelin for all of two months

• Advertisement

An Elaine Paige duet with Robert Plant??? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

MadsL wrote: »
    An Elaine Paige duet with Robert Plant??? :confused:

Oh f*ckining Page so, mea cupla for adding an extra letter.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

My point is that the design of the standing space at the new O2 sucks farts, regardless of who the artist is who is playing...

i disagree, i think for a venue of its size the design of the standing section in the o2 is superb, no matter where in the venue you stand you have a great line of sight, compared to the old venue where if you were at the back of the hall goodluck

Oh f*ckining Page so, mea cupla for adding an extra letter.

Helpful guide below

Mea Culpa

Cúpla Focal

Mia Calpol

Helpful? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

pmcmahon wrote: »
    earls court is clearly superior.

And nice pubs around the area with proper beer imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭seanbmc

02 is an amazing venue OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

I only get seating now for shows I really want to see. It's my only option being a short arse. Glad I got seats for waters. Great show, but the try hard wooing pleb beside me did my nut in.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,708 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

I have a problem with the design of your post. Ever hear of paragraphs?

When you are ranting, there's no time for paragraphs. You dont come up for air

Harry Crosbie says that the old Point had a "grungy" feel to it, and he wanted to create a "stunning" venue for a more "sophisticated" audience. Sophisticated my @rse. While there is alcohol available, and a design that makes the person standing feel in the middle of a pub, it is not enjoyable at all

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

They are cramming up to 13,000 people into the downstairs standing

Not true.

I do agree that the venue in itself is likeable but the captive audience issue is crazy, the price of a drink there and food is outrageous, and very very little places for a drink or food surrounding it, it has almost zero parking in the vicinity and it's transport links are basically down to a luas train. Hmmm. The wonders of planning.

• Advertisement

Maybe its just my bad luck. I always get stuck beside Anto and Whacker and their mates from Tallaght who have the night off from Sharon and Tracey and the rugrats, and just want to get gee eyed drunk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

:rolleyes: There's your problem, get a seating ticket next time, standing is for cheapskate pissheads. I was at Roger Waters, I had a lovely front row seat and could see everything in comfort without drunken lunatics.

http://s419.photobucket.com/albums/pp279/PogMoTho1n/Roger%20waters/?start=all

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

I stood for Roger Waters, seated for Rush, wish i had done it the other way round. Still, 2 amazing gigs, but the RW gig was more of a spectacle more suited to sitting down.
    Still , amazing venue, had friends over from the UK, Finland , Holland,and Germany, they all gave the venue top marks.

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    :rolleyes: There's your problem, get a seating ticket next time, standing is for cheapskate pissheads. I was at Roger Waters, I had a lovely front row seat and could see everything in comfort without drunken lunatics.

Fair play to you. You took some great pictures. I didnt choose to stand. I would have preferred to sit. I was furious when they announced the second date

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Standing tickets are usually the same price as the most expensive seated ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

I've been to the o2 twice for concerts, both times standing. It was great, two of the most enjoyable concerts I have ever been to!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,605 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

Was at O2 last ngt at Journey gig- think venue is grand,have been there a few times since revamp.
    Annoying though the way some people can't go anywhere without alcohol- we were right beside the stage at the barrier, and the woman in the couple beside us kept asking her poor hubby to get her more! She couln't handle it,:oand started waving her empty bottle around, and actually threw it when Journey singer came down from stage to greet fans- thought the security would've taken her away but thankfully it was a weak throw as C2H5OH had rendered her .....weak!

Hopefully O2 management will bring big business to Dublin, better to have it than not, no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

galwayrush wrote: »
    Standing tickets are usually the same price as the most expensive seated ones.

The OP said they paid €75, I paid €90, that's 15 quid in the difference, worth it for comfort IMO, the price of 2 overpriced bottles of beer in the O2. The Wall is more of a sit down show than a concert though

MadsL wrote: »
    Yep, Giggs had a gagging order...somebody tweeted about it though.

<...finds coat check ticket> ;)

I can't believe you got more thanks for spelling out the joke, than I did for making it. After Hours, pfft.

Least Slasher got it first time up I suppose ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

:rolleyes: There's your problem, get a seating ticket next time, standing is for cheapskate pissheads.

The standing pissheads are no worse than the sitting pissheads. The one thing I hate about the place is the constant stream of people going to the bar while a show is on.

Advertisement